Asda fuel

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Granty1056 said:
Hi.

If you read the reviews you will see that long term use of lower quality fuel is not good for our type of engines. The Japanese engineers that built and tested the like of our engines wanted to see something special as a result of their dedication. I believe that if the engine is treated as they expected it to be then the best results will be obtained.

Jerkiness, poor throttle response and engine braking surely cannot be down to fuel alone. Something else must have been going on. Maybe the fuel was contaminated.

I notice you mentioned running on empty. Lower concentrations of fuel can lead to the possibility of the pump picking up contaminates.

According to what you read performance fuel has certain beneficial additives which other fuels don't have. If they were of no use other than to get us to pay more someone would have exposed the companies before now.

I use V power N, and Millers CFS Nanodrive oil and until someone comes along and proves that something can better it, I'm sticking with it.

Regards. Granty.
Cheers Granty.

As above I'm going to give the V Power a fair test and see how it goes and to see if there is a noticeable improvement over the course of a month.

What other performance fuels are out there, are BP and Esso's performance brands any good?

Granty1056

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:
Cheers Granty.

As above I'm going to give the V Power a fair test and see how it goes and to see if there is a noticeable improvement over the course of a month.

What other performance fuels are out there, are BP and Esso's performance brands any good?
Hi.

Ive never used BP but there have been times when out in the sticks on holiday Ive used Esso petrol until Ive come across a Shell garage. We were once in the West of Scotland and it was a struggle. I found a Shell garage and the V power pump was switched off.

The young lad in the kiosk told me that the boss kept a small amount of V power for his local petrol heads, He agreed to give me half a tank. Ive never ever come across that before and hav'nt since.

Persevere with the V power.

Regards. Granty.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
My car has no engine modifications bar an uprated exhaust and even then I think it's only a back box.

It has no KPRO, just the standard ECU so it shouldn't matter what fuel I stick in it should it? Or is what you're saying the DC5 was mapped from the factory to run off 100 RON fuel?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
the dc5 is designed and mapped from the factory to run on 100 ron fuel, while they can and wil run on 95 you wont get the best out of them,

CaLi

Vtec Yoooooooo
Yes the map is based on 100ron. The ecu will trim air/fuel to a degree based on bolt on mods but without 100ron your always down on power

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Ahh, wasn't aware of that. Nice one I'll ensure I stick the V Power in when possible.

Cheers mate.

Brophy

Advanced Member
Granty1056 said:
<br />I use V power N, and Millers CFS Nanodrive oil and until someone comes along and proves that something can better it, I'm sticking with it. .
<br /><br />Great comment mate, I use the exact same combo ;)

Jon_ep3ctr

Advanced Member
Fill up with v power and disconnect the battery for 5 mins, I'm sure you will notice the difference I have always used v power

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
I have mate. Have been sticking v power in for the last 5 fill ups, doesn't feel any different to me.

Is it worth disconnecting the battery and resetting the ECU or should the ECU automatically pick up the changes to the fuelling?

Thanks.

Jon_ep3ctr

Advanced Member
Hi crazy legs I'm pretty sure it should detect the 99ron over the 95ron with out reseting the ecu I have used 99ron since I have bought the car, on the odd occasion I have used 95 and to be honest there wasn't really any noticeable difference, seemed to run smoother with 99, it's healthier for the engine to use 99 as it's cleaner fuel

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Hi mate,

Was chatting with a mate who has an Alfa 156 1.8, not as powerful as the Integra but he will not run anything but V Power in his, reckons it will produce less emissions too for when it comes to MOT time.

I'm certainly going to persist with the V power but need a good two or three more tanks of it to feel it's running better. I've taken the car on some spirited drives over the past week and it's pulling well, definitely smoother but at low revs and on short drives it doesn't feel any different to running it off the Asda stuff.

I'll have a go at re-setting the ECU on the weekend and see if it helps.

Thanks.

Brockstar89

Advanced Member
The higher the octane number, the more compression the fuel can withstand before detonating. In broad terms, fuels with a higher octane rating are used in high-compression engines that generally have higher performance.

DC5 is a high compression engine? Yes

I would say this is the reason the car is mapped to 100ron and should be ran on as close to that is to stop knocking/detonating. Especially when it is being driven hard.

UKDM EP3 Lower compression, runs on 95ron standard.

But its up to personal preferance what you put in your car, just think but, Regular were i am is 128.9p and V-Power is 136.9p that works out with a 50 litre tank, using Regular you would save a grand total of £4.

davidpingu

Advanced Member
I've always found you get better MPG from higher octanes too so you may say you've saved yourself £4 or so but if you've covered 30 miles less than you could have with Vpower then in reality you aren't saving money.

Add the fact that its a cleaner fuel so will keep things like injectors running better and I think the difference pays for itself and then some.

Plus who else offers you Lego when you buy their fuel? It's a no brainer! :xaiweb5:

scottj15

Advanced Member
I don't personally think your going to feel a night and day change just from changing to a slightly higher octane fuel. Yes it will increase performance as already said but I can't imagine it's going to be great enough to even notice. I use to hear a difference in the exhaust sound on my old EP when running regular but have always run V-power in the Teg and regularly go 15 miles out of my way to do so. Not because of the extra performance but because it's a healthier, cleaner fuel for the engine. Plus if you get yourself a shell card your tot up enough points to get a few vouchers once a quarter :D

jasondc55

Advanced Member
V power nitro regardless and nothing else. Shell Garages are getting ever popular now so no excuses.