Audi S3 after DC5

integraleo

Advanced Member
If we all knew that there might be fewer of us on this forum. For the price the only car that came close was megane r26. Recaros, Brembos, lsd,260-280bhp with remap, newer,handles just as well.
But......more of a turbo side step than an improvement. In the end the only real advantage was the fact you can pick up an 08 plate one with low miles for the same price as a y reg teg. Needless to say I kept the teg. As for comfier cars the very essence of comfier usually means softer riding with more toys both of which is a downside when it comes to handling ( heavier car softer sprung) it's very hard to find a middle ground.
Something like an r32 golf is comfier and similar performance but rather fat and because of that handling can be numb. I've heard good things about the BMW 1m but that's a lot more money. Audi s3 and BMW 1/3 series are the logical choices but as you have found out come with downsides.
I think a good shout would be golf gti anniversary edition for 200+ hp with good chassis, I've never driven one but would have a look.

armjoker

Advanced Member
I was looking at BMW 330D as well, but didnt find one for sale. They are also crazy fast and eco too.

p1tse

Advanced Member
135i gets good reviews on drivers choice

If you're going for 330d I would suggest go for a 335d with a remap

armjoker

Advanced Member
Finally bought new car. Decided to report back after a week of owning.
So long story short. I have looked into all cars and finally one day i found advert of bmw 123d 2008 coupe in silver. Not my favorit color, but the price was low so after googling about this model and reading reviews, i called the guy.
Test drive was fun. This little Bmw has a monster under the bonet. 2.0 twin tirbo 205 hp with 400Nm torque. I had 4 ppl in car with AC on and it pulls like train on any gear.
There where some small cosmetic problems here and there and needed new tires.
The next day i took it to mechanic to be checked. He found that the lower radiator hose was in bad shape and needed a change. (Cheap easy work he told me) so i bought the car. On first weekend i sorted small problems in interior , ashtray wasnt closing, sun glass holder didnt open properly and certral console had missing bolts. Ordered new set of GY Eagle 1 asym XL. Waiting to be delivered. Took the car to change the radator hose. Turns out "cheap easy job" on BMW is not that cheap at all;( 200€ to replace the damn thing and need to wait a week so the part comes from Germany. (This happens when u stay in village like Cyprus. My tires are also coming from Germany since i couldnt find them here) so about the car. Very nice endeed. A lot of room at back for tall people. Im 1.84cm and have no problem sitting there. Its quite eco when im not flooring it. Missing the vtec but 2 turbos are not bad too. On any rpm i have POWER. ;) Will post some pics soon. Havent washed it yet;)

Chewy

Advanced Member
I owned a 123D (although hatch) before I bought the DC5, I rate the DC5 highly over the 123D but obviously completely different cars.

The 123D was an epic little car though, Powerful and comfortable when just crusing along on the daily commute and quite fun when you turn the traction control off ;)

If I could afford one as a second car, I would get another in a heart beat, have to demote the DC5 to weekend toy and have the 123D as a daily.

My brother had a 120D coupe at the same time, The funny thing was his actually 'felt' faster as when you put your foot down you felt a sudden surge of power when the single turbo finally kicked in, made the 123D feel slower as the twin turbo setup is much more progressive and smooth in the power delivery, made for a nice place to be and it was deceptively quick - The 120D soon ran out of puff while the 123D kept on pulling, haha.

I do miss her sometimes when I'm sat in traffic, all the toys and comfort;

But then the traffic clears and the road opens...I soon forget again. haha.

armjoker

Advanced Member
Chewy said:
I owned a 123D (although hatch) before I bought the DC5, I rate the DC5 highly over the 123D but obviously completely different cars.

The 123D was an epic little car though, Powerful and comfortable when just crusing along on the daily commute and quite fun when you turn the traction control off ;)

If I could afford one as a second car, I would get another in a heart beat, have to demote the DC5 to weekend toy and have the 123D as a daily.

My brother had a 120D coupe at the same time, The funny thing was his actually 'felt' faster as when you put your foot down you felt a sudden surge of power when the single turbo finally kicked in, made the 123D feel slower as the twin turbo setup is much more progressive and smooth in the power delivery, made for a nice place to be and it was deceptively quick - The 120D soon ran out of puff while the 123D kept on pulling, haha.

I do miss her sometimes when I'm sat in traffic, all the toys and comfort;

But then the traffic clears and the road opens...I soon forget again. haha.
Nice car! What rims/tires you had on? Did you have spacers? i like how the wheels come out a bit. Im running 205/50/17 on stock rims. And dont like the look at all. Hope 225/45/17 will make it better. Then i may add some spacers too.

Chewy

Advanced Member
Cheers man, I do miss her.

They were Cades Bern 18x8jj (Csl reps) and tyres were 225/40 Hankook Ventus S1 Evo 2, no spacers as they sat just behind the arches as they were.

Dropped the profile of the tyres to accommodate the change from 17 - 18".

Changing from run flats to normal tyres improves the ride so much, can't recommend it enough...unless you get a flat, haha.

armjoker

Advanced Member
Chewy said:
Cheers man, I do miss her.

They were Cades Bern 18x8jj (Csl reps) and tyres were 225/40 Hankook Ventus S1 Evo 2, no spacers as they sat just behind the arches as they were.

Dropped the profile of the tyres to accommodate the change from 17 - 18".

Changing from run flats to normal tyres improves the ride so much, can't recommend it enough...unless you get a flat, haha.
Already ordered proper tires;) have runcraps on. Very stiff. Hate it.

CL1_EuroR

armjoker said:
Finally bought new car. Decided to report back after a week of owning.
So long story short. I have looked into all cars and finally one day i found advert of bmw 123d 2008 coupe in silver. Not my favorit color, but the price was low so after googling about this model and reading reviews, i called the guy.
Test drive was fun. This little Bmw has a monster under the bonet. 2.0 twin tirbo 205 hp with 400Nm torque. I had 4 ppl in car with AC on and it pulls like train on any gear.
There where some small cosmetic problems here and there and needed new tires.
The next day i took it to mechanic to be checked. He found that the lower radiator hose was in bad shape and needed a change. (Cheap easy work he told me) so i bought the car. On first weekend i sorted small problems in interior , ashtray wasnt closing, sun glass holder didnt open properly and certral console had missing bolts. Ordered new set of GY Eagle 1 asym XL. Waiting to be delivered. Took the car to change the radator hose. Turns out "cheap easy job" on BMW is not that cheap at all;( 200€ to replace the damn thing and need to wait a week so the part comes from Germany. (This happens when u stay in village like Cyprus. My tires are also coming from Germany since i couldnt find them here) so about the car. Very nice endeed. A lot of room at back for tall people. Im 1.84cm and have no problem sitting there. Its quite eco when im not flooring it. Missing the vtec but 2 turbos are not bad too. On any rpm i have POWER. ;) Will post some pics soon. Havent washed it yet;)
Fair play lad.

I have been researching these the past month, seem like a good bang for your buck diesel (shivers :p ). I was considering one in the future.

Like for Like, totally different car to the DC5. But could you give me any insight to your likes and dislikes to the car compared to the DC5 in relation to every day driving? (Not track days etc).

Cheers.

armjoker

Advanced Member
CL1_EuroR said:
Fair play lad.

I have been researching these the past month, seem like a good bang for your buck diesel (shivers :p ). I was considering one in the future.
Like for Like, totally different car to the DC5. But could you give me any insight to your likes and dislikes to the car compared to the DC5 in relation to every day driving? (Not track days etc).

Cheers.
Sure m8.
1st of all, runflat tires are crap! Change them asap if u buy one with. Super stiff! Very uncomfortable. lot of nice electronically goods in it compared to the teg. One thing annoys me is auto start/stop function (switches off the engine on every stop to save the planet) that is by default on. I have to switch it off every time i start the car.
Power vise its close to teg on every day use. A lot of torque from 2 turbos in any rpm. Smooth power delivery. Not very noisy (diesel like) especially when windows are closed you dont think ints diesel. The only time you feel the diesel engine is when car is on idle and standing.
Gear box is not as smooth as teg. I have been told that its all bmws like this. Personally i tested 320i and 123d. Both are like this. Sometime super smooth. Other times u can hear gears crunching. also when u buy one, make sure the chain in engine was changed. The bmw is recalling the cars back to do it since there was a problem and they break a lot. I have the car for 2 weeks. Cant comment on economy. Only thing atm i can say is it makes around 12 km per liter in city drive only. Parts are expensive. Not like hondas;) if you need anything specific, let me know. Oh and modding it. You can easily make 260ish HP with remap only. No mods added.

Chewy

Advanced Member
Similar issues as the DC5 when it comes to the gearbox, 2nd can be a bit of a bint until it's warmed up.

armjoker

Advanced Member
I never had problems with dc5 gearbox. My brother had with 4th gear on his teg. By the way the bmw also gets better when warms up the gearbox. I heard redline gearbox oil helps a lot i bmws to have smooth changes. Will try it when i change the oil)

C2AXG

Advanced Member
I have my dc5 and missus has 15plate golf gti.
Love using both for different things.
The teg is more raw and I've driven many cars including BMW Audi, renualts and nothing for me just gives me the satisfaction that teg does. It's lacking power at the moment but that's why I enjoy it as its a project for me.
The golfs power is just instant sport mode the steering is ok but still lacks the raw feel.
It's more for a office bod needing a speed kick after work.
Mines like a prostitute ready for action as soon as you look at it lol

p1tse

Advanced Member
New age golf gti are quick and spirited
I drove a mkv and didn't think it was worthy of a gti badge but drove a mk7 and thought it was much more spirited

As for the 123d
Congrats, BMW make a good modern driving car

I can see myself in one again but as a daily one day

Leng-man

Had an m3, loved it, cost to much to run, parts were expensive, servicing was expensive, tyres were expensive, fuel stops were every other day, brake discs and pads were expensive, I had to put loads of fuel in, coilovers were expensive, and I had to keep visiting shell all the time,

moodyedge

Advanced Member
Mike.A said:
Or an FD2 ;)

More enjoyable than the S3, more affordable in running costs than an M3, plus rear doors if you end up having a baby. Plus it would be a nice move from the DC5.
Wondered how long it would take.....

Not exactly comfy even with swapped rear dampers.....Im sure the 18s dont help that either.

You do start to wonder "what else?"

Not an easy one to answer......that is, if you dont want to jump on the bland wagon.

I dont imagine we will ever see the likes of the integra again, I hope they dont try to remake it anyway. Cars get faster, perhaps better equipped but also more lardy which is why so called modern cars have less appeal for me. Wheres the middle ground? Question is, do we want to live in the middle? Not sure I do.......

Old hondas were good because they were light.........I am alarmed at how lardy cars are getting these days.

Ive made it more difficult by limiting my choice to jdm cars....because I like all things Japanese......there aint that many great ones.