Best cat back exhaust ?

Rich3248

Advanced Member
Hey guys. Bought my DC5 yesterday off Jon-DC5 on here. Cars probably still on for sale thread. Arctic blue with bronze work emotion alloys, eibach springs and it's immaculate inside and out.

Anyway the whole car is standard so all I want to do really is give it a nice sound. I will use it as a daily drive but I don't mind loud exhausts. Recently had a 424bhp skyline r33 and that was pretty loud and managed fine using it daily.

Anyway what is the best cat back I can get? Nicest sound/quality for money?

Be gentle with me now lads, im only new here.

Cheers,
Richie 👍😃

Rom

Advanced Member
As Jono said. There is no best.
Short of having them all on the same car, on the same dyno.

Your best bet is to try and listen to a few people's local or at meets.

I've got the Buddyclub Spec 3. And it's loud! But I've also got Buddyclub header / decat.

Rich3248

Advanced Member
Ya sorry lads, I meant which is thee most popular amongst DC5 owners?

The 3 that I keep hearing about are the Mugen Twinloop, kakimoto and fujitsubo rm-01a

What kinda money are we talking about for a very clean second hand one? Or is it best to just buy new ?

scottr89

Advanced Member
Well....Hello there Richie, you didn't keep the Skyline for long!

Well have to meet up, she looks like an immaculate example!

Rich3248

Advanced Member
Alright Scott! How are you man? Yeah defo meet up soon. Be a nice photo opportunity

No had it about 8 weeks. Regrettably sold it for a lot more than I paid for it. Wish I hadn't sold it but very happy with the teg now.

TyperItr

Advanced Member
Well if you sold it for a lot more than you paid for it it may not be too regrettable.

With regard exhaust. I got a full custom 3" catback made with a Vibrant muffler and vibrant centre silencer for about €500. Excellent quality from a guy in Galway, that could be better than the other off the shelf options and cheaper

Rich3248

Advanced Member
Doesn't matter how much I sold it for, just regret selling it so early on you know Was a good daily drive.

Spoon N1 is probably what I'll get. Thinking about buying new. Costs about €516 delivered.

Rom

Advanced Member
Second hand bits fetch good money. They arent common, and a lot arent made anymore.

Last i was recommended Twin Loops were £400 - £500

Bally_Jdm

Advanced Member
I have both a Spoon N1 and a TODA Dolphin tail exhaust, the spoon is loud and savage when mated to a decat and unsilenced pipe but the TODA is super quiet , refined and sounds amazing in its own right when doing drive-bys!

Personal preference is what it comes down to, as for performance there isn't any real advantage on a particular one over another.

integraleo

Advanced Member
There is HUGE differences in performance between exhausts. Generally a quieter exhaust that is easy to live with day to day will be more restrictive and produce less power. For example mugen twinloop and kakimoto regu06r. I used to have a trust exhaust system that was pretty quiet and was mapped along with all the other bolt ons and made 229 bhp. This was replaced by custom 3" from solid fabrication and I gained almost 10hp from that alone! Was fairly droney on a drive so sold it and bought my kakimoto regu06r which sounds amazing I absolutely love it! However upon my remap by romain on the same rolling road I lost 12.5hp and midrange from around 5000rpm I've lost 20ft/lb of torque!!!! I'm not planning on changing my exhaust as I'm not chasing numbers but just goes to show how well the 3" system was flowing.

Rich3248

Advanced Member
@ROM - was offered a near new twinloop for £600 I think it was. It was by someone on here.

Think it's a bit restrictive and quiet?

Heard the spoon n1 in person yesterday and I liked it a lot

dotty

Advanced Member
Spoon N1 is a backbox only I assume you know that ? mugen works great, I have one and I've had most exhausts available in my time driving Type R's. I rate the mugen and the fujistubo rmo1a very highly.

scottr89

Advanced Member
Yes Richie as dotty said the N1 is just a back box it does not include the back pipe. If you want to de-cat it you have to get a manifold!

Linus27

Advanced Member
I have a Spoon N1 back box, Spoon mid pipe and AEM V2 only and just been mapped by Romain making 229bhp. It's pretty loud on start up when cold but soon drops down to very quiet. However, as soon as you hit 5k revs, it becomes a screaming savage banshee. For everyday driving it sounds fine, just gets loud when you floor it but nothing too bad. I certainly wouldn't go unsilenced or a decat. That would be intense. Either way, it looks as this setup gives good gains.

Erm

Advanced Member
Rich3248 said:
Might just go skunk2 altogether.
I installed a megapower R yesterday. It sounds amazing. It is loud though. Gonna put the silencer in tomorrow and run that for a couple of days and see how it is

Rich3248

Advanced Member
Thinking about the SKUNK2 Megapower 70mm. Is it a direct replacement/fitting or do you need to make some adjustments?

Also I priced it in the US. works out as €600 inc. delivery. But it's for the Acura RSX Type S model (USDM) Is this the exact same set up as the DC5 (JDM) ? Basically would the exhaust fit even though it's for the USDM model?

Cheers !

Jazazze

Rich3248 said:
Thinking about the SKUNK2 Megapower 70mm. Is it a direct replacement/fitting or do you need to make some adjustments?

Also I priced it in the US. works out as €600 inc. delivery. But it's for the Acura RSX Type S model (USDM) Is this the exact same set up as the DC5 (JDM) ? Basically would the exhaust fit even though it's for the USDM model?

Cheers !
Why not buy it from Tegiwa? They've been stocking Skunk2 items for a few years now.