best oil for ITR

dan the man

Advanced Member
i use MOTUL 300V power from opie oils on the web.

everyone uses different but i DO take care of my car a lot!

dan

macer

Advanced Member
dan the man said:
i use MOTUL 300V power from opie oils on the web.

everyone uses different but i DO take care of my car a lot!

dan
Fantastic stuff altogether, 8) its all i ever use highly recommend it.

karmaimport

Karma Import Ltd

Mugen VT-PRO engine oil with Mugen MT105 Engine Treatment!

Specially design for Honda VTEC cars

mikegsi

Staff member
mines changed every 3k and dealership recommended 10/40 semi synth as it wont burn as much. as im changing it so regularly it wont cause any probs

Suped

Advanced Member
Re: Karma Import Ltd

karmaimport said:
Mugen VT-PRO engine oil with Mugen MT105 Engine Treatment!

Specially design for Honda VTEC cars
OoOoo.. interesting.. whats the pricing on tthe Mugen engine oil? :lol:

mikegsi

Staff member
thats a cool website, but i struggled to find the oil youve been on about?

Trung

Advanced Member
mikegsi said:
mines changed every 3k and dealership recommended 10/40 semi synth as it wont burn as much. as im changing it so regularly it wont cause any probs
Why every 3k miles? :xdisguest:
Thats too soon and every dealership will recommend you different types of oil. Not sure what you mean by burn as much. If its because oil turning dark then thats perfectly normal :!:

You may find that Spoon and Mugen uses 5w-40 oil, they KNOW what to use for VTEC engines at the end of the day.
I don't know what's the story of Mugen selling they own oil brand when they use Motul 300V power for racing. :-s

mikegsi

Staff member
Trung said:
Why every 3k miles? :xdisguest: always changed my oil regularly, ive always been told you can never give a car too many oil changes??
Thats too soon and every dealership will recommend you different types of oil. Not sure what you mean by burn as much. If its because oil turning dark then thats perfectly normal :!: by burning i mean using oil, not turning dark

You may find that Spoon and Mugen uses 5w-40 oil, they KNOW what to use for VTEC engines at the end of the day.
I don't know what's the story of Mugen selling they own oil brand when they use Motul 300V power for racing. :-s
on my last oil change i used some fully synth 5-40w oil, and due to the price of it i can safely say i wont be changing my oil every 3k! i get semi synth for about £7 per 5 litre, which makes it viable to change it so often, however the cheapest i can get 5-40 for is more than double that, and i dont like using cheap tat, even though its prob just as good as the expensive stuff

mikegsi

Staff member
everywhere recommends different, as i say mine recommended semi synth

Tarmac

Advanced Member
different folks/different strokes

i personally swear by Redline engine and gearbox oils. put a bottle of the redline fuel system cleaner through it too. after that, when u fill up, throw in a bottle of Millers Octane Booster. i find this is a nice mix in my teg anyway 8)

oilman

Authorised Advertiser
The correct viscosity is as follows:

0w-30, 0w-40, 5w-30 or 5w-40.

Quality.

I would stick to synthetic for better protection all round. If the car is modded or used on track then I would recommend using the sae 40's mentioned above as they will give higher levels of protection when the engine is stressed.

If you want a good synthetic race oil that's also suitable for road cars then you can't go wrong with Silkolene PRO S 5w-40 or Motul 300V 5w-40.

Had a ride in one of these last night - awesome little car I must say!

If you post here then thanks for the ride :shock:

Cheers
Simon

Tarmac

Advanced Member
oilman said:
The correct viscosity is as follows:

0w-30, 0w-40, 5w-30 or 5w-40.
I used Redline 5W-30 until I found my poor K20A was burning some oil due to a build up of gunk in the oil breather tube. If the engine is burning oil, then it will drink 5w-30 faster than Rab C. Nesbitt can knock a bottle of Buckfast back! :lol:

If you're engine is burning oil, then look at putting in Redline 10w-50 or 10w-60 (or whatever u'r brand of choice is) - until such time as you might be able to get the oil burning problem sorted. I found this worked a treat for me anyway.

oilman

Authorised Advertiser
It's really not sensible to use an sae 50 or sae 60 when the engine is designed for sae 30 or sae 40.

These oils are much thicker at high temperatures and cause additional friction, heat and wear plus reduced fuel economy and bhp at the wheels.

These cars are designed to work on oil thickness/flows of between 10cst and 14cst at 100degC. Sae 50 is 18cst and sae 60 24cst at 100degC.

Stick with the recommended oils and get the problem fixed would be my advice.

Cheers
Simon

kingston

Advanced Member
oilman said:
It's really not sensible to use an sae 50 or sae 60 when the engine is designed for sae 30 or sae 40.

These oils are much thicker at high temperatures and cause additional friction, heat and wear plus reduced fuel economy and bhp at the wheels.

These cars are designed to work on oil thickness/flows of between 10cst and 14cst at 100degC. Sae 50 is 18cst and sae 60 24cst at 100degC.

Stick with the recommended oils and get the problem fixed would be my advice.

Cheers
Simon
Now in layman terms for the not so technical bods....