Better aerial reception required.

bee123

Advanced Member
Hi all i have done a search but could not find a answer i liked without drilling for a roof mounted aerial. :xtsk:

Has anyone found a way of getting a better signal from the current OEM setup?

JamesSSB

Advanced Member
+1^
I also have a problem with the radio reception. Fine at traffic lights but when moving the signal is crap!
Any ideas?
J

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
The oem window ariel is amplified, if you have fitted an aftermarket stereo did you connect the power to it??

bee123

Advanced Member
There us a wire along with the ariel connector i believe
Sorry for my ignorance but connected to what the kenwood i fitted was plug and play with a adaptor from Halfords? Do you know the colour of the wire?

mikegsi

Staff member
its attached to the oem aeriel wiring, from memory, if you cant see it you should be able to trace it from the passenger footwell. Pop the large plastic cover off that sits in front of the sill protectors

bee123

Advanced Member
its attached to the oem aeriel wiring, from memory, if you cant see it you should be able to trace it from the passenger footwell. Pop the large plastic cover off that sits in front of the sill protectors
Ok thanks Guys i will take a look, say i do find this wire where do you connect it too?

mikegsi

Staff member
acc power i would have thought mate, tbh i never connected mine once i fitted an aftermarket stereo but never had any cause to

Marpol

Advanced Member
I looked into this bad radio reception a few months ago, Followed the aerial lead from headunit to rear window and there is no sign of said amplifier/booster! Cant even find it in the RSX workshop manual!

The only thing thats in the passanger footwell is a join in the lead.

I ended up buying a Vauxhall amplified aerial base, butchering it and pluging inline on the aerial lead behind the headunit, Its made the signal strength better and I can pick up more stations but its not great. I think the whole window aerial is just a bad design!

bee123

Advanced Member
I looked into this bad radio reception a few months ago, Followed the aerial lead from headunit to rear window and there is no sign of said amplifier/booster! Cant even find it in the RSX workshop manual!

The only thing thats in the passanger footwell is a join in the lead.

I ended up buying a Vauxhall amplified aerial base, butchering it and pluging inline on the aerial lead behind the headunit, Its made the signal strength better and I can pick up more stations but its not great. I think the whole window aerial is just a bad design!

Thanks for that i will look into getting a amplifier/booster and will report back my findings.

bee123

Advanced Member
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Blaupunkt-tax-disc-type-car-radio-aerial-booster-/110672017403?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item19c490f7fb

Just wondered if anyone has tried one of these or can recommend a booster.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
if theres no sign of the amplifier , where does the live cable go thats with the ariel wire?

i had exactly the same problem, connected the cable and reception was perfectly acceptable, (before my car was raced it was a show car for rockford fosgate so audio was pretty important to me.)

maybe not all cars had the booster?

Marpol

Advanced Member
if theres no sign of the amplifier , where does the live cable go thats with the ariel wire?

i had exactly the same problem, connected the cable and reception was perfectly acceptable, (before my car was raced it was a show car for rockford fosgate so audio was pretty important to me.)

maybe not all cars had the booster?
Maybe they didnt all have one like you say, mine has no live cable with the ariel wire.

I had the roof lining apart and everything tracing the cable from the headunit to the window and mine is just a coax cable all the way.

JamesSSB

Advanced Member
Took a look at mine today, no sign of any live wire with the antenna cable. Nothing other that the radio band expander that's inline.

LeeH

Advanced Member
The amp is located in the passenger footwell on the left hand side behind the trim.

Make sure you have 12v to it but check the obvious connections first. I.e behind the HU and the rear screen.

Teg_Ben

Advanced Member
Is the Ariel definitely in the back screen and not the 2 triangular back seat windows? I have weird stick-on things in those windows(presumed they were some kind of ariel)

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
Is the Ariel definitely in the back screen and not the 2 triangular back seat windows? I have weird stick-on things in those windows(presumed they were some kind of ariel)
Yes, it is in the back screen, the ones you are talking about may have been for the OEM unit which some had TV aerials :) mine were on the windscreen.

wj51fut

Advanced Member
If you had the sat nav in yours from factory you would have had the stick on aerials on the front screen. (When the car mists up you can see the imprint)

The aerial for the radio is in the rear screen. If you look closely, you have the rear heated screen wires and the aerial above it. (Looks like one big demister screen from afar)

The aerial connector is on the passenger side near where the flare sits. It's a box with a coaxial lead going into it. Not sure if the box is an amplifier. Haven't looked into it.

I've had no problems with mine.