Big brake kit arrived for my DC5

GIBLETS

Advanced Member
I‘d say good condition OEM calipers with braided hoses, OEM discs and PBS pads with ATE type 200 or RBF660 fluid is as much as anyone needs for the road.

Track I can see them struggling after repeated hammer with brake fade and warped discs etc., don‘t know for sure as I‘ve not tried.

Anyone who thinks the OEM brakes are bad should get themselves into a tuned Pulsar GTI-R on standard brakes, now that‘s scary!

Fez

Advanced Member
The only time i felt the standard brakes were bad was when i fitted DS2500's and had no confidence ever.... so i would defend the standard dc5 brakes, as they've been great otherwise with plenty of track time... but today i drove my mates ep3 which just fitted brand new set of gt brembos, 330mm discs with CL5 pads... and it was amazing. And did make my brakes feel bad 😂 But then its comparing brand new calipers/pads/(bigger) discs vs my 17 year old calipers with very used PBS pads lol.

FreakyParts

Hi guys. I‘m Stewart from FreakyParts
The kit we‘ve designed for Chris should satisfy his braking needs I‘m sure :)
We‘ve also designed an upgrade using 335x28mm 2 piece discs for another customer.
All the kits will be available on our website in the coming days, including just adaptors and discs if you happen to have a set of calipers lying around :D
If you‘ve got any questions about the kit, ask away.

ldubl

Advanced Member
FreakyParts said:
Hi guys. I‘m Stewart from FreakyParts
The kit we‘ve designed for Chris should satisfy his braking needs I‘m sure :)
We‘ve also designed an upgrade using 335x28mm 2 piece discs for another customer.
All the kits will be available on our website in the coming days, including just adaptors and discs if you happen to have a set of calipers lying around :D
If you‘ve got any questions about the kit, ask away.
Hi Stewart,

Do you have a link? Could only find the 320mm ones.

Are they MTec discs in the kit?

What rear brake discs & pads would you suggest to compliment this upgrade to the fronts?

Thank you

FreakyParts

It‘s that new, we haven‘t had chance to add it to the website yet :)
I‘ll try and get it online over the weekend in between fixing race cars.
The kit uses the same calipers as the 320mm kit, with 335x28mm discs.

FreakyParts

I guess no one told Audi that...
The same design are used on the TTRS and RS3.
Or do you mean the early Mk2 Brembos?

abbey132

no mk3 i meant, just judging by the new price of these calipers tells me they are not high end brembos... they are the brembos fitted to mass production cars like honda did with the dc5 in the first place..

FreakyParts

Price doesn‘t always equal quality. I have a feeling these will be going up in price in the near future in the same way the Seat Brembos did when they figured out companies were buying them for custom brake kits.

FreakyParts

Have you used these calipers previously? Or just making the assumption they‘re bottom of the barrel due to the comparatively low price of them?
The design is also used on Aston Martins amongst other manufacturers.

I‘ve stripped one of these calipers down, the parts are all genuine Brembo and the build quality is as you would expect from the worlds leading manufacturer of brake calipers.

If you‘re interested in having a set of these for the DC5, let me know, I‘m sure I can sort a set for a decent price.
Or should I charge more to represent better quality? ;)

abbey132

ive tried them on a mk3 megane yes, interested to know what makes them so much better than the dc5 brembo though apart from disc and pad choice,

FreakyParts

They‘re matched with larger diameter, thicker, 2 piece discs and larger pads. If you could do similar with the OEM Brembos they‘d perform better, but by the time you‘ve fitted custom brackets and 2 piece discs to them, you may as well sell on the DC5 Brembos to a Civic owner for more than the difference in cost it is to have a pair of new RS Brembos.

ekchris139

Advanced Member
Yesterday I finally got around to fitting my custom big brake kit to the dc5 from FreakyParts. As this was the first kit they ever made for the dc5 I was a bit sceptical of fitting. To my surprise everything went smoothly due to the custom mounts.

The braking force is unbelievable and iv only pressed the pedal 30-40%. Even at this pressure level you are nearly put through the window.

What I love about this kit is that you can modulate the pressure very easily. I didn't want an on or off kit as I do alot of driving in traffic on my daily commute.

Incase you missed the previous post about what my kit contained it's as follows

Megane mk3 rs250/265 calipers
330mm grooved discs
Hel braided lines
Carbon Lorraine rc5+ pads
Custom mounts
Ate type 200 race fluid

Only thing I had to add during fitting was a spacers as the caliper and the wheel spokes were very close.

Would recommend @freakyparts to anyone thinking about upgrading their brakes. They are fantastic to deal with

Standard DC5 set up

Custom DC5 mounts which were very good quality