Big brake kit arrived for my DC5

aleksboch

Advanced Member
ekchris139 said:
What I got above with the custom brackets was just over 1k sterling which for what you get is great value

The discs are from a Nissan Murano 3.5. Can use 350z discs but they are 30mm thick so might be a slight chance of hitting off the caliper. I didnt want that so went with a 28mm thick disc which there is no problem with clearances. The Megane standard discs are 340mm but opted not to go for these or the 348 2 piece floating discs as I want to see can I still use my 17" wheels with the above kit.

Bells are made for the kit. Freakyparts had to get a dc5 hub to customise this kit. As far as I'm aware I'm the first with this kit through freakyparts.
Any confirmation that this 320mm kit fit under oem wheels + spacers?

FreakyParts

No, they're available, just the different disc finishes are currently out of stock. We can supply plain finish (no grooved/dimpled/drilled) and only silver coating is currently available.

FreakyParts

aleksboch said:
Any photos available that compare this kit against the OEM dc5 brakes?
They're on page 3 aren't they? 300x25mm compared to 320x28mm means the discs are 10mm bigger on the radius

FreakyParts

I haven't seen side-by-side pics, but the RS Mk3 Brembo caliper is physically bigger than the DC5 Brembo. Both taller and wider

sabina c

Is pad surface area not more important than physical size if the caliper.. pads don't look much bigger to me. Can you post all dimensions of both these and OEM?

FreakyParts

DC5 - 119.8 x 73.7 x 15mm
RS Brembo Mk3 - 131.8 x 77.2 x 16mm

Pad surface translates to how quickly the pads wear. The larger surface area usually means the pads last longer

As a side note, the DC5 pads are also used on the Mini. The RS Brembo pads are also used on the Evo 5-9, Masarati, Audi TTRS and Corvette (I believe)

FreakyParts

You can fit any sticker you like, they'd be your calipers :)
They come painted red with black logos from the factory though, with no other colour options.

eco1

I always felt that the brakes on my DC5 were a bit of a weak spot even with new discs, pads and fluids. They were grand but wasn't 100% confident in them. Further inspection of the oem brakes showed that the bleed nipple was leaking fluid and the pistons and seals were extremely worn and rusted. Instead of getting the callipers rebuilt and having to replace the costly oem discs I opted for a big brake bit.

I started doing research into yellowspeed, ksport (had these before but replacement parts are pricey), AP and stoptech. The last 2 were a significant wedge of cash.

I decided to see could I get the best brakes I have ever experienced (Renault Megane RS250) custom made for my car. Had a look at the replacement costs for discs and pads. Roughly half the price of the DC5 replacements for what I wanted.

I got in touch with Freakyparts in the UK who do alot of custom kits for race teams and track cars. From the start Stewart talked me through every step, answered every stupid question (I'm sure there was endless amounts). After a lengthy discussion I finally pulled the trigger.

Renault Megane MK3 RS250 Brembo Calipers
Grooved 330x28mm discs
Carbon Lorraine RC5+ pads
Hel braided lines
ATE Type 200 race fluid
Custom mounts and brackets
Oem brembo pins

Below are a few pictures of the kit. I will probably have these fitted in the next 2-3 weeks. These should provide a massive increase in braking force compared to my old set up.

Please keep us updated on how the installation goes and your experience driving with the new brakes.
When it comes to brakes, there are a few key factors to consider, such as the type of brake system (https://www.bikethesites.com/hydraulic-vs-mechanical-disc-brakes/), the type of brake pads and discs, and the quality of brake fluid. In your case, it looks like you have opted for high-quality components like the Brembo calipers , the Freakyparts kit you've chosen looks like a solid choice with the Brembo calipers, grooved discs, and Carbon Lorraine RC5+ pads. It's good to see that you've also upgraded the brake lines and fluid to ensure consistent and reliable performance.