Bogging down problem...

matt_hodgson

My first post so, firstly, hello everyone!

I'm the proud owner of a freshly imported black 2002 DC5 Type-R which, on the whole, I'm incredibly pleased with.

I previously owned a DC2 for four years and, before that, an EP3 Type-R. I also own a nice CRX VT which is SORN and garaged for revival at some point in the future :)

So the DC5 has a little issue that I hoped to get some views on, and I'll try to describe it as best I can...

The issue is that sometimes, not all the time, it's bogging down when I try to accelerate. It's most noticeable in higher gears and at lower revs but when it's happening it will actually be noticeable in first right up the revs. It feels like the engine is searching for fuel - like I'm pulling a caravan (not that I actually know what that feels like) - basically much less responsive on the throttle and slower to pick up revs than it usually is.

I've not really got a complete picture of what it's associated with but if anything I'd say it tends to happen after a prolonged period of gentle driving - i.e. in traffic, stop/start, not really going over 3k rpm. I live in London so I do quite a bit of that. I've also, however, noticed it once before the car has warmed up. A bit of spirited driving seems to clear it, I think. And sometimes it doesn't happen at all and the car is as responsive and pulls as it should.

I appreciate that as an intermittent problem I'm probably not going to get a definitive answer to this and I've obviously done a fair amount of Googling already, but if anyone has had similar experiences I'd love to hear about them, particularly if there was a happy ending! It'll all help in trying to decide what to throw money at replacing first. The next thing on my list was probably going to be to have a look at the fuel filter and pump.

There's no CEL light, I've replaced the plugs, air filter, and I've checked the TPS with a multi-meter and it seems fine. The car is completely stock, stock ECU. It's covered 75k miles.

Any thoughts/experiences/input greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Matt

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
I had similar....turned out to be a split in the OEM inlet hose. The one that goes from airbox to manifold at the front of the engine.

The split was underneath, so wasn't obvious, but when sat in traffic it was sucking in unfiltered hot air and thus causing a heat soak /bogging the car down. Vtec engaged but it didn't move and it felt exactly as you described...towing a caravan until a little bit of driving and like you said, it cleared up and became responsive again.

Welcome by the way. Fire up some pictures :)

k!ng

Advanced Member
What fuel are you using? I stay away from the supermarket stuff even super unleaded.
Could also be a sticking throttle butterfly?

Yep pics of your teg and crx would be good. I also own a teg and a crx, good combination :xyes:

nellly

Advanced Member
i wouldn't be to worried about the fuel.

have you checked for a sticking caliper?

spooke

Advanced Member
I'd personally go back to whoever imported it for you and get them to sort it.

As Beppe said I'd make sure it's been fully serviced, also does it happen to have a aftermarket intake?

matt_hodgson

Jimmer said:
I had similar....turned out to be a split in the OEM inlet hose. The one that goes from airbox to manifold at the front of the engine.

The split was underneath, so wasn't obvious, but when sat in traffic it was sucking in unfiltered hot air and thus causing a heat soak /bogging the car down. Vtec engaged but it didn't move and it felt exactly as you described...towing a caravan until a little bit of driving and like you said, it cleared up and became responsive again.

Welcome by the way. Fire up some pictures :)
Hi Jimmer

Thanks for the welcome.

I had the intake off when I checked the TPS, and didn't notice any splits. Your suggestion has made me consider the intake air temp sensor though, which could have a similar effect if it's faulty. They're only 20-odd quid, so I've ordered one. I also found a cheap used MAP sensor on eBay, so have ordered that too and that will be two possibilities ruled out cheaply if neither fixes it.

Here is a pic, hope it works :)

matt_hodgson

k!ngy said:
What fuel are you using? I stay away from the supermarket stuff even super unleaded.
Could also be a sticking throttle butterfly?

Yep pics of your teg and crx would be good. I also own a teg and a crx, good combination :xyes:
Throttle butterfly seems ok - I think I'd meet resistance in the pedal if it were sticking.

My CRX has been laid up in my dad's Garage for five years, but I may put it back on the road in the Summer. Unfortunately as I'm not up there very often I've only been able to fire it up once in a while, and sadly cars deteriorate quite quickly when not used. Its alternator has seized along with all the calipers. A couple of springs seem to have cracked too. Last time I started it it died and started throwing a fuel system code, but hopefully that's just stale petrol. Otherwise it's in pretty good nick though. I bought it in 2007 with 70k on it, and covered a further 75,000 miles in 4 years without it missing a beat :)

matt_hodgson

spooke said:
I'd personally go back to whoever imported it for you and get them to sort it.

As Beppe said I'd make sure it's been fully serviced, also does it happen to have a aftermarket intake?
No, it's the stock intake...

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
From cruising at low speed, accelerate and cough splutter, then back to normal again?

If so, I'd say secondary o2 sensor.

My ep3 did the same, and took months to throw an eml!

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

matt_hodgson

Johngreen537 said:
From cruising at low speed, accelerate and cough splutter, then back to normal again?

If so, I'd say secondary o2 sensor.

My ep3 did the same, and took months to throw an eml!

Thanks. I'm going to swap out the intake temp sensor and map sensor today and see if that makes any difference. If not then perhaps I'll try the secondary o2 sensor next. Am approaching it on a cheapest first basis, although it could well be a false economy!

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
Where are you located mate? More than welcome to borrow my sensors to isolate it if you are local.

I'm in Swindon, Wiltshire

matt_hodgson

Johngreen537 said:
Where are you located mate? More than welcome to borrow my sensors to isolate it if you are local.

I'm in Swindon, Wiltshire

Hi John

Sorry not to reply sooner.

That's a really kind offer - thanks - I'm in London so a bit of a trek but will bear it in mind.

I swapped out the MAP sensor and air intake temp sensor and it was the same. I'm tempted now to call it knocking - when it's doing it and I put my food down at low revs in a high gear it certainly sounds like that, so I guess the knock sensor could be the next thing to try, although there are still other possibilities. Thing is it's inconsistent - I drove down from the North last week and everything was great - no issues and I got 37mpg having cruised at 80 all the way. The last time I did the same trip I stuck to a steady 70 and only got 32mpg - go figure.

Anyway, I'm still really enjoying the car but it would be nice to get to the bottom of it. I'd be up for taking it somewhere and paying for a diagnosis but with it being intermittent I worry it'd cost dollar and they wouldn't get to the bottom of it. I've actually considered buying one of the cheap chinese Honda Diagnostic kit clones so I could monitor the output of the sensors while I'm driving and the problem is thee, not sure if anyone has any experience of those?!

Cheers
Matt

MissMyDC2

Advanced Member
I had a very similar issue this week and it turned out to be as simple as a slack throttle cable. Take 2 mins to check under the bonnet.

matt_hodgson

MissMyDC2 said:
I had a very similar issue this week and it turned out to be as simple as a slack throttle cable. Take 2 mins to check under the bonnet.
Thanks for the suggestion - but I tightened it a few weeks ago so it's not that.

matt_hodgson

Appreciate this was a while ago, but in the interests of closing the thread / maybe helping someone else in future - after putting up with this intermittent but infuriating issue for ages I eventually swapped out the primary o2 sensor a few months ago and all has been well since.

It never threw a code.