Bored with the teg, what next?

TimPowell

We're on Topic, Teg chat ;)

We need clarification on this baby seat malarky though, well..... I do.

Andy, I'd be very surprised if you don't love the old school cool by the end of The weekend ;)

LeeH

Advanced Member
rodney said:
Welcome,

The DC5 has isofix, I'm 99%.
I don't think it has as its not a Japanese requirement or standard. Although it has a ISOFIX type system.

rodney

Advanced Member
Dave Johnson at Steels Honda will be able to tell you in a minute or so for definate. He's very helpful when it comes to the DC5.

Search Dave AND Johnson for number.

Lee may well be correct in saying it's a 'type' system.

jay82

Advanced Member
Andy. said:
cpoh said:
The Accord handles superbly in my experience, doesnt handle like a decent sized saloon at all
Agreed.
really :shock:
i taught the type s was much better car, taught the euro r handling was floaty and the whole car felt sluggest, the recaros looked out of place in the front.
and the engine is the same as uk ep3 with a the rbc inlet, thats why it was never called a type R

jasonjammessenger

Oh what a choice mate i went threw the same dilemma when i wanted a change, after long hours researching a went for e46 m3. I could sit here aw day and say the differences but there two completely different cars. The m3 is faster in a straight line and so much more comfy to drive on they long journeys not to mention you get so much car for your money, as for the DC5 i love it and may one day go back for another just for the go-kart handling,reliability and rarity.

I would recommend getting a test drive as you wont be dissapointed, i was sold on the stock sound the flat six makes and the seemingly effortless power it gives out. If you do go for one make sure it has loads of history.

good luck pal

cpoh

Advanced Member
jay82 said:
Andy. said:
cpoh said:
The Accord handles superbly in my experience, doesnt handle like a decent sized saloon at all
Agreed.
really :shock:
i taught the type s was much better car, taught the euro r handling was floaty and the whole car felt sluggest, the recaros looked out of place in the front.
and the engine is the same as uk ep3 with a the rbc inlet, thats why it was never called a type R
The typeS is the 2.4L k series isint it Jay?

I loved the cl7 accord, loads of room, and its not much slower than a standard dc5 (i thought anyway!). A set of lowering springs and FRS would do these the world of good!

jay82

Advanced Member
cpoh said:
The typeS is the 2.4L k series isint it Jay?

I loved the cl7 accord, loads of room, and its not much slower than a standard dc5 (i thought anyway!). A set of lowering springs and FRS would do these the world of good!
2.2 i think :-k
i just expected more from the car to be honest. i use to love these till i drove them and i had one for three weeks

TimPowell

The day I went to see and drive my first ATR (1999 model) I couldn't believe I hadn't had one before. The car instantly fitted and whereas the DC2 was a compromise and quite uncomfortable, the Accord accommodated me perfectly, the driving position spot on, great sense of occasion inside the cabin and I think that's what drew me in. After a mile of driving, it felt just like the Integra but more me and nicely BTCC... done deal.

It quickly became my favourite car of all time.. but... as time went by, less so. The H22 didn't quite have the fizz of the smaller engines, and it was always just the wrong side of quick, much like the Astra GSi was to it's daddy the Mk2 16v GTE. The grip was always very good but the turn in was a little blunted by the extra weight which you were always aware of, the chassis obviously has potential but to stack up against the DC2 it did need some more work... work that I think would inleash a quite tremendous vehicle.

stux

Advanced Member
TimPowell said:
The day I went to see and drive my first ATR (1999 model) The H22 didn't quite have the fizz of the smaller engines, and it was always just the wrong side of quick
The main weakness is the standard excessively long gearing that honda insisted on fitting at the factory :xrealangry: - 4th gear goes up to 122+mph and 5th goes to an indicated 155mph, which is way too high. #-o
The M-Factory Final Drive modification injects a bit of life into the car in gears 2, 3, 4 & 5. It reduces gear speeds to 58mph in 2nd, 75mph (ish) in 3rd, 108mph in 4th & 143mph in 5th,
It will also knock at least 0.4 secs off the standing quarter time and get the car pulling mid to late 14's quite easily, with a terminal speed of 94-96mph. :xyes: the only trouble is that you now need 3rd gear to hit 60mph, so 0-60mph is full of fail. :xlol:

David Fox

Advanced Member
TimPowell said:
I was hoping to stumble across a thread like this, didn't want to start banging up threads and get the infamous 'use the search button' reply :?

I've owned several Hondas to date, including 2 EK4's, an EG9, DC2, ATR and EP3.. what I have never had, but always wanted is a DC5. Currently I own a second generation Octavia VRS (2.0 turbo), which by a margin is the best car I have ever owned. It doesn't have the pace of my E36 M3 or the tactile excitement of my DC2 but it is solid, comfortable, reasonably nippy, supremely spacious and to date, very reliable having covered 80k miles in its almost 5 year existence.

Ever since my £800 introduction to VTEC Hondas I have been hooked, as a driving machine on my budget they are second to none. So, I wanted to find a thread where DC5 owners talked about their next car so I could see how highly you rate them... pretty highly it seems.

I've tasted K20A in my EP3 and it was a beauty, just the rest of the car wasn't up to it. Like for like I did prefer the extra drama of original flavour VTEC, but the DC5 has so many more desirable attributes than the EP3 that I don't consider it an issue.

Really, the DC2 is the benchmark Type-R for me and to date is the best driver's car I have owned. The ATR excited me initially, sort of like a Touring Car Type-R, real sense of occasion, but it couldn't displace the DC2 as my favourite.

My dilemma now is simple, can the DC5 replace such a capable car in the Skoda, one that is also £500 away from 250bhp/270lb/ft and win me over with it's purity, driver involvement and sheer Type-R ness?

I do also have 2 young children to factor in and with 2 less doors no ISOfix, there is a practicality issue also.

Look forward to your comments, and hello :)
Just to recap for you Tim and throw my twopence worth for you, I am a previous DC5 owner, I have had 2 tuned Focus STs and I am currently on a new Focus RS. I still pine for a DC5, and I will have one again. Nothing wrong with the Fords (indeed since my last post I have now bonded with the RS in a big way) but the DC5 has something that you crave. I still think it is one of the best ever looking cars. I have no doubt that I will be slightly disappointed going back to a NA car with naff all torque, but that will soon disappear. Plus Ill have nearly 20k left over to blow on women. Result.

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
vtecboy...

... Looking at peoples comments, it looks like you will buy another car but eventually come back to the DC5 :lol: :xcheers:

ejwillistyles

Advanced Member
cpoh said:
Grov said:
A 260bhp DC5 is gonna cost a bit to get there. :) No doubt it would keep up though running that power.

So are the weights for the DC5R correct then, non AC is 1170 and the AC is 1180kg?
To get a standard DC5 to 260hp is going to cost you the bones of £2.5k sterling minimum. Spend 2.5k on an E46 M3 and you'll see a different animal also.

The E46 offers a different level of handling, refinement and enjoyment the DC5 just doesnt have in its armoury - it reaslly is a pleasure to drive.

I disagree, yes the E46 is a great drive and is refined for a quick car, but the "level" of handling isn't different to DC5, they will both go round corners at the same sort of speeds, even though DC5 only runs 215 width tyres, the BMW from memory is 255 at teh back. Both great cars in different ways, I had both M3 CS and lightly tuned DC5, I made my choice, which was the Honda.

tombakers

Stoo said:
alucardo said:
As for a kpro V m3 im pretty sure an m3 will have the grunt in a striaght line bearing in mind there sub 5 second to 60 with lots of useable torque. However brakes arnt up to much from what ive read its a good reason why ive not looked seriously at them.
I promise you, pound for pound, from a standing start, up to 155+, i had the legs on an E46 M3!
Over and over again!!
Guy i work with has one, SMG, so he was using launch control!

Oh and before the 'legal' ponces jump on this, this wasnt on a public road

Dude what mods are you running on the car to achieve this?