Brake bleeding order

bennn

Advanced Member
Going to be changing the brake fluid in my DC5.

Can anyone confirm what order I need to bleed the brakes in?

bennn

Advanced Member
Same as any other car then - N/S/R, O/S/R, N/S/F, O/S/F?

The Brembo's have two bleed nipples, does it matter which one I bleed first?

jambo

Advanced Member
When bleeding a car with abs you should always do closest to the abs module first. Old cars with out should be furthest away. Done a lot of training on it down at volvo and it's one of the worst habits old technicians do.

Topgeezer

Advanced Member
jambo said:
When bleeding a car with abs you should always do closest to the abs module first. Old cars with out should be furthest away. Done a lot of training on it down at volvo and it's one of the worst habits old technicians do.
Well that makes this how to wrong then CLICKY
Really confused now.......@ jambo whats the reason for doing the fronts first?
T.G.

jambo

Advanced Member
The theory is that you are pushing any air bubbles rearward and by following the natural path the air wants to go, you will get all the air out.

It's more important to do it this way when replacing the abs modulator. I must admit I've done it both ways and it doesn't seem to make any odds, but then again with got a £700 brake bleeder at work that is full automated and pressurised so we never get a spongy pedal.

jambo

Advanced Member
I don't think it really matters. Done it all the ways possible really and always end up with the same result As long as you go round the entire system making sure there is no air and you have nice clean fluid you can't go wrong.

bennn

Advanced Member
Good how to C&S. Just had a read through. I'll bleed as per your guide but I use a hose with a one way valve in a container of fluid, pretty fool proof then.

Rom

Advanced Member
I also bleed furthest first, regardless of car. I actually empty reservoir (not enough to allow air into pipes) first, then fill with new fluid so your spending less time sucking the old fluid through.

But we have a pressure bleeder at work too!

If your only doing a fluid change, there should never be any air getting in. That comes from changing components that are dry.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
unfortunately Rom, many people don't refil the res quick enough and end up sucking air into the circuit,

bennn

Advanced Member
Rom said:
I also bleed furthest first, regardless of car. I actually empty reservoir (not enough to allow air into pipes) first, then fill with new fluid so your spending less time sucking the old fluid through.

But we have a pressure bleeder at work too!

If your only doing a fluid change, there should never be any air getting in. That comes from changing components that are dry.
I've seen people do this with a turkey baster before!

Topgeezer

Advanced Member
bennn said:
I've seen people do this with a turkey baster before!
Rom said:
What, empty the reservoir !? Legend haha.
Yup, i used one when i changed the steering oil, will use it again when i do the brake fluid.......Dont tell the missus LOL

It's a permanent tool in the garage now ;)

T.G.