Brakes on the DC5

dan the man

Advanced Member
killed mine..BUT

have some braided hoses to go on and better fluid. and think with standard pads shoudl be ok.

mine work but very spongy at the mo..bit of travel before they do anything. So i think my hoses are dead and the fluid cant cope.

always work tho just weird feeling the initial no brake when i touch! LOL

people say better pads increase things further.

but at the ring last year i did ok. were spongy but never failed and didnt smoke..so....

but everyones different

Zero7

Advanced Member
I don't rate them, never have, in fact, I have never rated the brakes on any car I've had. I've had them upgraded to Delphi and they arn't much better, braided hoses made no difference to stopping power, just better peddle feel.

Duncs

i think they are pretty good,
i have never had any fade or worrying moments.
at my last track day even an instructor took out my car and commented how good they were, certainly 100% better than the CTR that they had evaluated as a FWD driver training car.

dan the man

Advanced Member
every car ive known everyone has different oppinions.. depends what life its had. i seem to kill every cars brakes i own... :oops: :p

so duno really.... end of the day the basics are there..4 pot calipers with coolingt ducts as standard. certainly a step in right direction :idea:

AdrianK

Advanced Member
the pedal on mine goes down a bit then becomes extremely stiff such that i cant really apply any more pressure.

They dont seem all that good to me, am i just a weekling, or is there possibly something up?

mikegsi

Staff member
im running standard brakes with uprated brembo fluid and steel braided hoses (supplied by tom at tgm)

two trackdays and no probs, my rear pads were pretty low at the last one and ive just got the standard discs and pads to replace them, i could tell they were low but other than that no problems

JiB

Advanced Member
TBH 4 pot vented Brembo's, don't seem to stop as well as you'd think.....

...I thought the JDM '98 DC2's brakes were better :oops:

imran

JiB said:
TBH 4 pot vented Brembo's, don't seem to stop as well as you'd think.....

...I thought the JDM '98 DC2's brakes were better :oops:
Ive heard that too..

Ive currently got a DC2 with braided hoses and DS2500 pads alround and Motul Brake fluid.

Best stopping power ive ever had, feels direct and perfectly balanced. NEVER FADED!

Imran.

Paul G

Members
AdrianK said:
the pedal on mine goes down a bit then becomes extremely stiff such that i cant really apply any more pressure.

They dont seem all that good to me, am i just a weekling, or is there possibly something up?

Had the same prob wt mine - took my car on a track day wt ds2500 pads fitted and by the end of the day my foot hurt from having to apply so much pressure to get the car to stop...........

Changed pads and now much better :D

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
Some interesting comments there, all those whose pedal goes down then gets very hard, you should consider getting them looked at but it depends on what your intentions are for your cars, for normal road use this is prob fine but for prolonged track work then prob not.
Are you able to get the abs to come on if you brake extremely heavily? if not then theres a problem, maybe air maybe glazed discs/pads etc.
I currently use std discs and honda pads for the road as they give a good combination of power and feel.
For Time Attack i use a slotted j's Racing disc with Ferodo DS3000 pads and haven't had problems so far, the abs was comming on quite alot due to my tyres but thats all. I swap them after the events.
One of Toms cars also runs with the std calipers and ds3000's at the moment and is leading the championship.

Upgrade the parts i.e fluid, hoses, pads, discs but more importantly make sure the system is bled properly and discs/pads are bedded in.

dan the man

Advanced Member
Ill agree with some above.

BEST brakes ever for me was my DC2 UK...mint. awsome bite, feel and no fade.

Had good hopes for DC5 brembos but not so :cry: :cry:

Paul G

Members
Gess it boils down to wt your happy with and how much money you wt to spend......

eg for track - do you wt to use stan pads that will not damage the discs but will fade and have to brake at the 300yard point...

Or - use race type pads (£150 - £200 per set :shock: )that will not fade and brake at the 100yard point on each lap, getting the stan discs so hot that they warp - so then you fit 2 peice discs plus air to the disc ... and it gose on and on :roll:

You pay your money and take your :wink:

PS new race pads just fitted :D

mikegsi

Staff member
dan the man said:
Ill agree with some above.

BEST brakes ever for me was my DC2 UK...mint. awsome bite, feel and no fade.

Had good hopes for DC5 brembos but not so :cry: :cry:
im the opposite, my dc2 brakes were good, but my dc5 ones i find are much superior

g-zone

Advanced Member
I'd have to agree. I found the DC2 brakes faded, but have never had that problem with DC5 brakes. I think possibly the brake balance on the DC5 is slightly more forward than the DC2.

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
Guess I'll just go the normal route of uprated fluid and hoses first then see what I think of them.

AdrianK

Advanced Member
C&S Evo7 said:
Some interesting comments there, all those whose pedal goes down then gets very hard, you should consider getting them looked at but it depends on what your intentions are for your cars, for normal road use this is prob fine but for prolonged track work then prob not.
Are you able to get the abs to come on if you brake extremely heavily?
i did manage to get the ABS to come on pullling to a stop when really hitting the brakes!

C&S Evo7 said:
if not then theres a problem, maybe air maybe glazed discs/pads etc.
I currently use std discs and honda pads for the road as they give a good combination of power and feel.
For Time Attack i use a slotted j's Racing disc with Ferodo DS3000 pads and haven't had problems so far, the abs was comming on quite alot due to my tyres but thats all. I swap them after the events.
One of Toms cars also runs with the std calipers and ds3000's at the moment and is leading the championship.

Upgrade the parts i.e fluid, hoses, pads, discs but more importantly make sure the system is bled properly and discs/pads are bedded in.
As far as i know the car had new front pads fitted about 2 months ago, so i assume the fluid etc.. was changed then aswell?

Also when braking at low speed, i.e. pulling to a stop on my drive there is a very noticable grinding noise from the front brakes, is that normal or not aswell?

lockwood77

Advanced Member
I took John (The_Meist_R)'s DC5 out for a quick test drive yesterday and the thing that got me most was how poor the brakes are compared to my DC2. It didn't stop me buying it from him though! :p I also thought the same thing about the Evo VI I had, which I guess will have pretty similar calipers to the DC5 as they are also four-pot Brembos. The Evo is 200kg+ heavier than a DC2 mind.

I really need to improve these Brembos though - John took my DC2 out afterwards and I think he was somewhat surprised at how much better they were. Absolute bite from the off and if you hit them hard, you have to try not to launch through the windscreen! I did read somewhere that the DC2 standard brakes will stop within 100ft of a McLaren F1 from 100mph! :shock:

In fairness I do have Mintex 1144 pads and Mintex discs on the front which made a slight improvement over standard. It might just be the case that the DC2 has more initial bite but the stopping power is just as good on the DC5 - I didn't try an emergency stop or anything! Will have to do some searching on here to see what will improve matters... :arrow:

dan the man

Advanced Member
evo brembos are larger pots...

and same as me ..DC2 brakes class...but 100ft more than MACCA? bloody hope not..should be miles lessin my oppinion... 100ft! long way :!: