'Budget' tyre choice?

RunsWithScissors

Im sure this has been spoken about before, but i cant find the info I want.

I only use the car on the road - bear in mind.
Plus I actually have a budget at the mo (baby will be here soon - im lucky ive got to keep the 5!)

I have recently been using Potenza RE050a's they have been great to be honest, good dry and wet grip and not overly expensive, (but they still come in at ~£400+ a set).

However they have all died now and I need some new rubber. I was going to go down the age old path of my favourite "budget" tyre which i have been lucky enough not to have to use for a while and buy T1R's as I always thought they were ok before - having used them on my previous CRX's.

Then i thought i may try some Parada Spec II's? But reading up on them they are terrible in the wet? and by the time they have been used up the worst of the wet weather will be over....

Obviously money being no object and it being April now instead of August id be buying AD08's but thats not the question. Im after a decent BUDGET tyre, as I just dont have £500 to be chucking at a set of rubber at the mo.

My options at the moment from what ive read are;

Yoko Parada Spec II's
Toyo T1R / R1R?
Uniroyal Rainsport 3's
Hankook Ventus?
or?
any more suggestions??

Anyone had any experience with the Rainsport 3's? They sound pretty good from the reviews but they are asymmetric's. Never used them before.

Budget is £300 max - (Prefer £250) for 4x 225/45/17.
Cheers fellas.

ckh

Advanced Member
Re070 would be my choice for £300 they are very good in the dry and not bad at all in the wet too!

integraleo

Advanced Member
Re070s are an absolutely amazing tyre and at 78-79 quid delivered per tyre from camskill an absolute bargain! Not a million miles away in terms of grip from ad08s. Goodyear eagle f1s are another solid choice and perfect for road use being very grippy in the dry and the wet. ( not as grippy as re070 in the dry) last I looked these are around 80 quid delivered per tyre. Just a smidgen over your budget on both these tyres but the vast gap in performance above and beyond tyres just a few quid cheaper make these 2 the top choice. Even the money no object choice for me I'm getting a second set of re070s when I've killed the ones I have fitted now. And as for wear I've just clocked up 6000 miles and the fronts are about half worn and I drive them hard!!

RunsWithScissors

Sweet, cheers fellas. Just out of interest has anyone tried the Uniroyal Rainsport 3 on a DC5?
These were the ones that sucked me in most with reviews I read. They get 94% in the wet and with winter coming up and all...

Sounds like the RE070 are a great choice if its dry, i just know its not going to be October-March!

Cheers!

tico_87

Advanced Member
RE070 aren't too bad in the wet. I use them all year round, just make sure you don't go round corners too fast when they are cold and roads a wet, simples.

nellly

Advanced Member
i have run the RE070's all year and they are fine on camskill there is only £10 a tyre difference from the rainsports. if you really cant stretch the extra £40 then go with the rainsports everything i have read about them is good and as a winter tyre they should work well.

RunsWithScissors

Its not that I cant stretch, its just I wondered if anyone had tried Rainsports on a DC5?
Just out of interest really? I may get them and just see how they are.
Ill let you guys know.

Gareth88

Advanced Member
The Parada's weren't bad IMO I switched up to ad08's which are obv better but I never had issues with the spec 2's

Benneh

Advanced Member
If the Rainsports come in noticeably cheaper then I would be buying them any day over the other choices. The Rainsport 2s were a fantastic cheap tyre and the 3s are supposed to be better. I haven't used them on the 5 but have used them on previous cars and was very, very impressed with them!

ste01

Advanced Member
Hankook Ventus and T1Rs are alright. You want to get some real budget ones like Westlake ;)

ChesterJSY

I had Parada spec 2s on my DC5 and they were terrible in the wet, predictable but no grip, they are not so bad in the dry but would not recommend them. Also had Toyo T1R's on an EP3 and they were good grip levels for the price when new but they are fairly soft and wore down quick and lost grip over time. My choice on your budget from past experience of the two would be the T1R's.

A decent tyre can not only transform the cars handling, but is also the main thing keeping you and the car on the road and you never know when you might need that extra grip. Sometimes it is better to pay a bit more for the tyre you want and one that will give you more miles per £ in the long term if you intend to keep the car. As long as you drive to the conditions and capabilities of the car/tyre you should be fine :)

RunsWithScissors

ChesterJSY said:
I had Parada spec 2s on my DC5 and they were terrible in the wet, predictable but no grip, they are not so bad in the dry but would not recommend them. Also had Toyo T1R's on an EP3 and they were good grip levels for the price when new but they are fairly soft and wore down quick and lost grip over time. My choice on your budget from past experience of the two would be the T1R's.

A decent tyre can not only transform the cars handling, but is also the main thing keeping you and the car on the road and you never know when you might need that extra grip. Sometimes it is better to pay a bit more for the tyre you want and one that will give you more miles per £ in the long term if you intend to keep the car. As long as you drive to the conditions and capabilities of the car/tyre you should be fine :)
Im fairly used to all this :xvtec: stuff now matey, this is my 5th type R and ive pretty much been through the range of them! i wasnt talking about buying Wanli's, Triangle's or Stunners or anything! I just wanted to know if you could actually get a tyre that suits the DC5's character without spending a fortune as im a bit hard up at the moment.

Usually im not one for skimping as I knew that it often completely ruins a Type R car putting cheap cack on it.

The more I read about these parada spec II's the more I want to steer clear of them too! My bro has them on a B18c4 CRX and he near binned it the other day with these on having to stop quickly!

Ive gone and taken the plunge with the rainsports now, they will be here tomorrow so ill give it a week or two and let you lads know how they are.

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
I run another set of wheels with Falken FK453's. I'm impressed with them all year round. unsure if they are in your price range.

integraleo

Advanced Member
The rainsports are similar to goodyear eagle f1s and perform similar so I'm sure you will be happy. However for the same money the re070s have MUCH more grip on the limit,I really noticed the jump when replacing my Goodyears and I loved them!
At under 80 quid per tyre delivered they are not far off budget tyre prices but with unbelievable grip! Re070s are that good the only road tyres giving more grip in the dry is ad08s ( and then only 5-10% more or so at most) and even then you could only ever reach that limit on a track. They also have incredibly stiff sidewall which gives instant feedback on steering input and makes the car feel very planted.ad08s are softer so although on track slightly more grip is available the car will squirm a bit more under you and will require more nerve to push beyond that and trust in the grip. I really do believe the re070s are the best tyre for a type r for grip/feel/response
Honda must have too as they were standard fitment on the fd2. I still can't believe tyres as good as these are so cheap! Performance bargain if you ask me,and more of an improvement on grip and feel than when I had a frsu done.

integraleo

Advanced Member
Lol no mate,just very impressed with them.really didn't expect such a big jump up in grip to be honest and want everyone to get the best out of the dc5. To begin with when I first picked mine up i wasn't impressed with grip levels at all coming from 3 dc2s that would have wiped the floor with it. Dc5 was fitted with midrange tyres falken 912s if I remember correctly and was diabolical,totally ruined the feel of the car.binned them and picked up some decent rubber which transformed the car. Re070s have enhanced that feeling even more.

RunsWithScissors

Im the same, ive bought 98 spec DC2 (had 4 DIFFERENT tyres on it - a range of budgets lol), my S2000 was the same 4 different budgets! :xhuh:

Changed them over to decent ones and the cars were just night and day. The 98 spec went vfrom budgets to AD08's and my word. It was my first 'proper' type R as well!

It literally RUINS a fast honda having cack tyres....

Theres just no point in having one!
I sorta wish id gone for these RE070's now but theres still time for me to try them, haha.

Thinking of booking a trackday to fully destroy whats left of the current potenzas :xak: :xClubbed:

Haha.

wj51fut

Advanced Member
I have just got some AD08R's. Grip is getting better the more I run them in. Done near on 1k miles now.

I had the Prada spec 2's on my Prelude. For Yokohama I was very unimpressed with them. So when I bought the Teg I bought the Advan Sports tyre. Very happy with this for about 2 years. Thinking of these for my winter wheels.

The AD08R's are expensive tyres (£111 each) but my god are they worth it. I hold my hand up and say that I haven't used any other make tyre. IMO, no need to.

Let us know how you get on with the rain sports though. Any pictures of them?

Adam