'Budget' tyre choice?

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
i was thinking of the rainsports too, but the goodyear f1's aren't that much more per corner...

i will await the OP's findings!

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
I had Rainsports on my CRX and I didn't rate them, got Goodyear Eagle F1's on the DC5 and they're ok not great - would rather have something with more grip. Have never run the Rainsports on the DC5 so couldn't tell you what they're like.

I will personally be going for the AD08R's when the Goodyear's need replacing, hopefully they will have come down in price to by that point as they're mega expensive!

ben04

Had rainsport 2's on my DC2 and it stuck to the road! My dc5 has Eagle f1's atm and the handling is quite shocking IMO (I know the dc2 was a better handling car, but still) the Eagle F1's often skidd and slide when im taking a fun corner/ roundabout.

RunsWithScissors

Had them on a couple of months now and can report the rain sports are lovely. Not the grippiest in the dry but definitely confidence inspiring in the wet!

Weather is perfect at the mo for testing them too! They shift standing water fast and are nice and progressive on the limit.

Recommended for the price for a winter tyre.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FireDance

Advanced Member
I have a different idea of budget tyres!!!

Falken 914's are my choice of budget tyre

I am ordering some Goodyear F1's off Camskill that are £69 a corner

Steve_DC5

Advanced Member
Re070 not bad in the wet? they are shocking in the wet. The big block shoulder does them no favours either.

Parade spec II are utter garbage especially in the wet.

Uniroyal rainsports are a cracking tyre for the money. Especially in the wet, and on a wet trackday. They are also very good for when it snows. And they are also good in the dry :p

My advise is never skimp on tyres. You'll regret it. Ruins a good car, if you had the extra cash ad08r

Riz

Advanced Member
Although Re070s wont clear huge amounts of standing water I never had any problems with them through winter. I don't see the point in buying winters unless driving through snow, as you are stuck with the tyres through next summer (and possibly the next) unless you spend even more money to swap tyres about.

p1tse

Advanced Member
Jimmer said:
I run another set of wheels with Falken FK453's. I'm impressed with them all year round. unsure if they are in your price range.
what's wear rate like as thinking of running these on another car

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Funny you bring that back up. Lol ive just put my winter wheels on with the 453's on, and in a 6month period they were on the car, I'd used 30% on the fronts....i hear you ask how I know? Well....the day I put them on, I had a screw go through one of my fronts. Took it to a local garage I use and with the falkens, there is a tyre warranty. Result! A new one cost me 27 quid and my old tyre, excellent!!! So I gao another for the other side at full price so ive paid just over 100 for two new fronts.

Directly changing from my eagle f1's, I noticed instantly that the falkens have a much stiffer sidewall, and grip level in the dry don't appear any different in the colder conditions. They are grippy in the wet too. But sometimes not quite as confidence inspiring as the Eagles. But they haven't let go, think that must be the stiffer sidewall giving the illusion of a less sqidgy turn in if that makes sense and me having to adjust to a different tyre again.

My Goodyear's are the XLs too. but for me the Falkens are cheap enough, yet perfect performance when needed for an everyday situation...put it like this, I love my Goodyear's on my other wheels, but for what I want a set of tyres todo on a daily basis, I cant see a massive difference enough to persuade me to switch both sets of wheels to having Eagles. Although I do think in the summer months the f1,s are slightly superior. I drive mine day in day out and im very happy the FK453's. :)

James

p1tse

Advanced Member
thanks james :)
happy days for the tyre insurance (never knew that was available)

CL1_EuroR

I have Hankook ventus prime 2 on mine at the moment, and I cant save quick enough to get them off the car. No confidence dot com.

I have had Rain Sports/F1's/RE050/ER300 on my previous DC2/EuroR/4age20. and the hankook ventus prime 2 seem like remoulds compared to these.

All the above cars were daily drivers and not put on a track, just the odd foot out through the head light drive every now and again. Based on that I found the ER300 grand compromise for the task at hand if you are tight on cash.

Although I will be investing in RE070 in the next month to see what they are like.

FireDance

Advanced Member
p1tse said:
what's wear rate like as thinking of running these on another car
Mine lasted over 24k, mainly motorway miles with a weekly b round blast. I am still using them on the back so they have lasted really well

martinj46

Advanced Member
I bought a set of RE070 as a stop gap until I can afford more manly track rubber next year. For £75ish a corner, they are incredible value for money and make a really good road tyre. More than enough grip for the road in the dry, plenty grip in the wet providing there's not lots of standing water (living in North East Scotland, this has been thoroughly tested!)

Obviously they would never compete with a full on track tire in the dry, but as a road/track/value compromise they are a good choice.

Spoon_Sports_Europe

Parts Trader
Not a fan of the Prada's wouldn't buy them again. Massive fan of the AD08R. Used to race on 070's when they were on the MSA list so also rate them!

Gareth88

Advanced Member
I'm probably going to get shot down here but I've been told that with the parda spec 2 it depends where they were made; if you get the jap ones they are awesome but get the other ( can't remember the origin ) they were pants

I had them on my first teg and I found them ok, they don't touch my current ad08r's but I didn't have any of the issues some have mentioned

molten-ice

Advanced Member
I was a great fan of Falken FK452's , not sure if the 453's are a compatible replacement?

Found Parada's horrible in the wet ...

Although if its propper cheap and cheerful you want, i use Nankan ns-2`s as full on budgets, bang for buck there great.