Car feels a bit erratic under acceleration

mikeyw85

This is a little hard to explain, but essentially under hard acceleration (high revs) the car seems to be a bit darty, like its pulling in different directions slightly. Like it's a bit of a fight to keep it totally straight. It's not alarming, but i'm not sure if its normal. I can't really explain it any better.

The suspension probably needs a bit of an overhaul, but I can't say I've experienced much like it in other cars. Does what I describe sound at all normal?

mikeyw85

Thanks, I've given that a read.

My car is pretty much stock at the moment. Suspension and chassis is stock I think anyway.

You described it more wobbly than pully, but mine might be other way round. Then again, ones mans wobbly might be another mans pully.

I actually have winter tyres on at moment. Was going to get some RE070's I think. Plus some MeisterR or Yellowspeed coilovers.

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
Tyre pressures, tyre brands (premium and matching across the axle), and wheel alignment will all have an effective.

The fact that the car has a LSD will cause some tramlining under load on poor roads as it will just try and follow the camber of the road. Alignment can get around it to an extent, but as with everything it is a compromise.

emmsyDC5xx

Advanced Member
I had this on my first DC5 when I bought got him, was scary as hell!! I literally hung on for dear life :0 :D Under acceleration at speed it would be pointing to the bushes or the cars on the other side of the road- there was no in between.
Turned out to be the tyres which were on at the time. They were all really really worn on the inside!

Once this was sorted it was miles better but I never really felt fully in control of it when giving it big ones. Was still pulling around a bit but nothing like before- I put it down to the diff and power.

My current DC5 doesn't do this which is nice to not feel like you are about to ram someone going the opposite direction or someone you are overtaking hahahaha

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
I had this on my teg and it was the front wishbone bushes which were shot and made it so unstable at speed.

Check your tyre wear is even and pressures are same first then if that doesn't fix it look at suspension upgrades.

To get the most out of these cars you really want some decent coilovers (meister r do 0% finance) and associated upgrades like rear camber arms and front bushes as I've mention for a proper alignment. Transforms the car in all honestly

RichA

Advanced Member
Increasing castor will increase straight line stability, you can use superpro front wishbone bushes which are offset you gain a little positive castor or can use top mounts swapped over and set back as far as possible (or the special ones from area Motorsport) to gain more.

Kenz

Advanced Member
Mine does this, I thought it was down to the alignment being out. My tyres are wearing on the inner edge but not overly bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moodyedge

Advanced Member
I had experience of a higher bhp dc5 and it could be best described as...... all over the place. Certainty didn't enstil confidence behind the wheel.

Ive researched info on the web......nobody seems to have nailed down the exact cause and solution. Seems to be various theories around.

I also read that rack raisers for lowered cars make the problematic suspension worse............

Puts me off getting one of own.

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
I'm at 400 bhp. And it tramlined like mad before I changed bushes and fitted new coilovers with frsu. Since then it's fine with minimal torque steer.

moodyedge

Advanced Member
Lukeyboi89 said:
I'm at 400 bhp. And it tramlined like mad before I changed bushes and fitted new coilovers with frsu. Since then it's fine with minimal torque steer.
What about those that say they still have the issue after frsu??? Its confusing whether or not anyone can hit the nail on the head and tune the problem out........

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
Jdm4life said:
What about those that say they still have the issue after frsu??? Its confusing whether or not anyone can hit the nail on the head and tune the problem out........
As I said the actual case was the shot wishbone bushes and blasted shocks. So check your tyres and change your bushes first then look at coilovers.

Before being scared of going high hp

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
I replaced my bushes up front two years ago for new hardened rubber, I have 6 month new oem shocks and quite a tame neutral setup and 4 same branded tyres....zero tramlining etc. Can accelerate with my little finger on the wheel...but then if the road surface is crap it will still pull slightly, it's bound to.

I have plenty of confidence in it though. As said just check basics first :)

JDM-DC5

Advanced Member
Bushes it is next for me then! Who recommends what and from where? Links for the wishbone bushes? Hardrace? Thanks

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
Or possibly wishbone bushes are energy suspension, combination of those 2 should suffice

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
I opted for hardrace. Just solid rubber, stiffer, yet retain as close to OEM feeling as possible.

Superpro and all those will be alot firmer, and some tend to squeak and squeal if grease has worn out so be mindful .

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Not having a dig at anyone that's uprated to aftermarket bushes but imo based on previous upration (is that a word?) lol, that it actually makes things worse. My CRX handling was ruined when I changed the full Bush setup to aftermarket and I'll never do it again in any car. Not saying don't change the bushes, just stick to OEM as they're designed to last a long time and you know there's no messing around with them fitting etc. Up to each of us what we choose to do with our cars but it would be Honda bushes for me every time.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk