Changing an item and requiring a full remap?

Yella Fella

Nismo Wannabe
Anyone done this? I'm planning on possibly changing my RBC inlet for an RRC inlet, however, I've been told that this requires a full remap again despite already having a map done from the same company?

This usually the case? As if so, I don't think spending nearly £750 ish will warrant a bit more torque/bhp during midrange :(

eXceed

Resident Driver
Re: Changing and item and full remap?

Yella Fella said:
Anyone done this? I'm planning on possibly changing my RBC inlet for an RRC inlet, however, I've been told that this requires a full remap again despite already having a map done from the same company?

This usually the case? As if so, I don't think spending nearly £750 ish will warrant a bit more torque/bhp during midrange :(
To be honest I'd just ask the same company if they'd be willing to do "update" the map or failing that ask one of the kpro guru's on here to adjust your map to suit. I know VT-DOO could doo it :lol:. Surely it's just a case of adjusting fueling and potentially ignition, I can't imagine cam angles changing...

mikegsi

Staff member

Every time I changed a mod I got a remap, it won't be a full start from scratch job, they'll just tweak what you have to get the most of your car as it is on the day.

Yella Fella

Nismo Wannabe

Really surprised by their reply then... because they said I need a full remap, I'm sure that wasn't the case last time as the whole point of going to them in the first place was to get the initial base map done with my concurrent mods. Anything changed will just be a quick remap session.

I'm actually quite annoyed, I'd lose my map anyways as it's locked by them if it be changed.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member

what company are we talking about? a full remap should never cost that much even a first map from cold. @£50 per hour thats 12.5 hrs. :shock: :shock:

Yella Fella

Nismo Wannabe

Sorry, that's to buy the RRC too, port it, fit it, then remap which was quoted at £250 + VAT, which has gone up considerably. I'm just quite annoyed as I went there to get the base map initially, I never thought adding bits on would require a full map again... unless cams/turbo/chargers were installed, fair play.

Its one inlet manifold...

I rather not mention the company as I've just emailed them again to clarify... it's more to do with the pricing and "having to remap" than anything else. Almost pointless me doing it. But because the map is locked (as most companies do?), if I go anywhere, it'd have to be a full re-map required to be done anyways, so no win situation.

VT-Doo

RushDoo

If I were you I wouldn't bother. As you say it's not a huge difference for the money spent.

VT-Doo

RushDoo

I wouldn't NEVER go to a company for a map who didn't then supply the map once finished...at the end of the day you paid for it!

Stoo

Whining.....
Changing and item and full remap?

Mase is here this weekend.

£350 for a Full Tune. And you can have your map.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member

CPL?

i would also never go to anyone who locks the map . even with the parts thats still expensive. as it would only take an hour or two to make the changes.

Yella Fella

Nismo Wannabe

C&S Evo7 said:
CPL?

i would also never go to anyone who locks the map . even with the parts thats still expensive. as it would only take an hour or two to make the changes.
Nah, they are up North ;) it's a well known mapper. They say the lock it to stop people altering what they did; end of the day you are paying for their experience, not their "map" as such.

He's just explained in email that changing the manifold alters the fueling considerably so hence the remap charges. Almost makes me wish I waited for the RRC... still, if it even is that much better than the RBC?

raz786

Advanced Member

How much are they charging for just the map after you've changed the manifold?

VT-Doo

RushDoo

Yella Fella said:
C&S Evo7 said:
CPL?

Nah, they are up North ;) it's a well known mapper. They say the lock it to stop people altering what they did; end of the day you are paying for their experience, not their "map" as such.

He's just explained in email that changing the manifold alters the fueling considerably so hence the remap charges. Almost makes me wish I waited for the RRC... still, if it even is that much better than the RBC?

In that case the mapper is mis-selling you something. He should have sold you K100 :xyes:

Demand the original map from them...then take your money elsewhere :!:

eXceed

Resident Driver

VT-Doo said:
In that case the mapper is mis-selling you something. He should have sold you K100 :xyes:

Demand the original map from them...then take your money elsewhere :!:
This! No chance I'd pay for a KPRO map if it had been locked. What if I wanted to change something or some other unforeseen circumstance???

Yella Fella

Nismo Wannabe

Does no one else lock their maps? People who've had their kpros mapped must know that some places do that? Very common company does that

ps2lord5

Advanced Member

Don't agree with the whole locking of the map thing,the map belongs to you end of!

Take it unit 8 the use Paul jones ex TDI north to do there mapping.

I would ask for your map to be unlocked

Stoo

Whining.....

Yella Fella said:
Does no one else lock their maps? People who've had their kpros mapped must know that some places do that? Very common company does that
Tdi north and cpl have been known to do it.

Not cool.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member

my maps were never locked from them, i would not have gone there if they did, dissapointingly i have also sold and promoted kpro and said tuner as the best method , however if they wont supply the map then kpro pointless, as you have to go back there everytime you want to turn the launch control on and off, they should be selling k100.

i will speak to said company who i know well and ask for their comments .

Yella Fella

Nismo Wannabe

raz786 said:
How much are they charging for just the map after you've changed the manifold?
They've quoted £250 + VAT as per email replies below, I've shortened it and took out the names/company involved but included the main jist of it from the recent comms; unless mods want me to mention said company on here? I just really respected them on the basis of the amount of people who've used them and had their kpro's tuned by them... just never realised locked maps would be an issue until now!

Email replies...

Subject: RE: Inlet manifold and mapping

Yeah it would need a new remap so probably not worth it to be honest if its already setup for the RBC

---

Subject: Re: Inlet manifold and mapping

Hi,

Yeah like I said, you mapped my car towards the end of July, I've got the ported RBC already, what do you need to check your records?

Do I need to get a full map again after fitting the RRC? As I might just leave it, as it's going to be expensive just for chasing a few BHP :(.

Ed

---

Hi Ed

You already have teh RBC fitted? or thinking of getting another one to port it?
Porting takes about an hour so £55+vat

I have the adapters here if needed. I also have the RBC's if needed.
Mapping is £250+vat

---

Hey,

How much would it be to port the RRC? I'm assuming if I get it 2nd hand off someone who has a DC5,the adapter plate etc will already be on it?

Then how much to re-map the addition? I've already got the RBC, you did my car back in (end of) July last year. You can check my details on your system, what do you need?

Ed

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member

I had my map done by SPD originally which they left open. Then i took it to TDi to have it remapped and then all of a sudden the ECU was protected :roll: :xconfused:

I'm back there again on Fri so will ask if he can unprotect or keep protected and provide me with the KAL file.