Civic Type R FK2 - Test drive

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Where are you based Crazylegs - I'm in Kent and currently have an FK2 (ex DC5 here owner looking to get another again soon). I'm happy to answer any questions you have about it. It's like having two cars in one - goes to the shops or takes daughter to nursery perfectly fine, turns into a crazy nightmare beast from the underworld when you press +R button and give it some!
Where in Kent are you as I am in West Malling and seen a few FK2's around here recently and one in Kings Hill near mine driving the way I used to see a CW FL DC5 about 4-5yrs back or so. Not you is it?

Carl

The Mighty Clam

carl hammond said:
Where in Kent are you as I am in West Malling and seen a few FK2's around here recently and one in Kings Hill near mine driving the way I used to see a CW FL DC5 about 4-5yrs back or so. Not you is it?Carl
I am in Upper Halling (a very small village nobody has ever heard of!) It's near Snodland way. I saw a DC5 about 6 months ago round these parts so might have been you. Nice to know there is a Teg nearby. My FK2 is black, I've seen a blue one round here but only once. I'm selling it at the moment actually because I've had a change of car plans and no amount of man-maths can allow me to keep it unfortunately.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
I am in Upper Halling (a very small village nobody has ever heard of!) It's near Snodland way. I saw a DC5 about 6 months ago round these parts so might have been you. Nice to know there is a Teg nearby. My FK2 is black, I've seen a blue one round here but only once. I'm selling it at the moment actually because I've had a change of car plans and no amount of man-maths can allow me to keep it unfortunately.
I know upper halling, my uncles up there (out the back in the middle of no where, I used to house my cars there with his Race Carrera GT's :)

Yeah may have been me as although not out much I normally use it when going to bluewater etc, I have seen a red one and a grey one this week in Kings Hill and the blue ones been spotted a couple of times lately :)

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
TomNorris said:
Hey Marc, have you considered something like a forester sti or a stagea 260rs?

Still interesting cars, still quick and can handle pretty well and tick all the old man boxes.

If I didn't need a diesel it's what I'd have gone for. As for the 125d idea.... Don't. The back end is to softly damped so it's really snappy on the back end any totally numb to drive. Not given a 135 / 140 a go yet but I'm not expecting all that much difference.
Hey Tom, not thought much about a Forester but the missus hates Subarus so they're a no go, thanks for the advice about the 125d as well!

An FD2 is an option and although I'd miss the noise, I'll probably end up going for an FK2 or a Gti Clubsport if I can afford one. Still reading about some gearbox issues in the FK2 which is a bit off putting but they seem to be a good car otherwise!

Need to get out in one if I can.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
The Mighty Clam said:
Where are you based Crazylegs - I'm in Kent and currently have an FK2 (ex DC5 here owner looking to get another again soon). I'm happy to answer any questions you have about it. It's like having two cars in one - goes to the shops or takes daughter to nursery perfectly fine, turns into a crazy nightmare beast from the underworld when you press +R button and give it some!
Hey man! Thanks for the offer of support. If you can offer any advice around ownership that would be great. I'm reading about potential gearbox faults in them, is this correct?

Lot different to live with compared to the DC5? My Teg might be coming up for sale soon so you can buy mine ha ha! What colour is your FK2? Can see from the post above that you're selling, is this just for financial reasons or issues with the car?

I'm in North Wales btw so miles away from you lol

The Mighty Clam

Crazylegs said:
Hey man! Thanks for the offer of support. If you can offer any advice around ownership that would be great. I'm reading about potential gearbox faults in them, is this correct?
Lot different to live with compared to the DC5? My Teg might be coming up for sale soon so you can buy mine ha ha! What colour is your FK2? Can see from the post above that you're selling, is this just for financial reasons or issues with the car?
I'm in North Wales btw so miles away from you lol
Ownership compared to a DC5 is it just feels much newer and more modern. You have lots of screens and buttons to keep you occupied in traffic jams! The car is sporty enough in normal sport mode, but in plus R it turns into an animal - It's like it puts it into FD2 mode. I have heard of a couple of gearbox issues, but the FK8 seems to have the most problems around gearboxes. But again on forums you always hear about the person that has issues, but 2000 other cars are completely fine. Mine feels like a nice tight Type R box.

There is plenty of leg & headroom in the rear, mine has a child seat fitted with isofix no issues. The boot is huge, and the rear doors open really wide so it's easy to get in and out. Mine is black and looks mental. One thing I love is that Honda put 12 LED shift lights on the dash, going from green, amber, red, then flashing red. 12! So irresponsible.

Im selling as I've suddenly had a hankering to get an Impreza P1 (used to have a couple back in the day) and need to get one soonish before they increase in price too much. Also the Teg will be a daily driver, but not a commuter car. Has to be white with red recaros.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Thanks mate for all the above, it certainly sounds like a good car but if you're hankering for a change then it's got to be done. You had any issues at all with the FK?

Yes have seen on countless reviews that once in +R mode it can get a bit OTT and brutal on the road, sounds like it's a setting that's only really suitable for trackdays.

Gearbox issues do seem more common on the FK8, crunching gears and 2nd and 4th gear lockouts as well as problems with reverse. Seems to be the early 15 plate FK2 model is the one to have as they seemingly don't suffer from any issues. Pot luck with the FK2 by the sound of it as to whether you have problems or not.

I did go to test drive one in Honda Lancaster a few months back but they kept me wating ages and messed me about. I did get to sit in it and tbh, I wasn't overly impressed with the interior for a 30k car. I just felt like the Teg but newer, everything seemed more solid and 'bigger' so to speak. They are getting great reviews all the same and they're coming down in price a tad. Metallic Grey is the colour for me, not sure if black suits the FK2 where as it does the FK8, that's just my opinion. My Teg is black and it's a nice colour for the DC5 but I'd like a different colour this time and the Polished metallic seems to bring the curves of the FK2 out better.

P1's are nice as well, a proper Impreza! I hope you manage to find one mate. Thanks again for all the advice.

The Mighty Clam

No had no issues at all with the car, other than people wanting to race me when I'm just popping to the shops! All the reviews say +R mode is pointless on the road and too hard. Nonsense. It just makes it feel like you've instantly put coilovers with stiff springs on and had an immediate engine tune-up. Plus the dials go red.

Cheers, what will come first - the P1 or the Teg?!

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
I can imagine! There are some right wallies about, I get it all the time in the Teg people trying to race me, difficult to not get involved at times lol. Bet it attracts some attention yours all the same.

The FK2 makes a great sound with the Eventuri intake and the turbo wastegate off throttle, really like that noise!

I can't see +R mode being any more hard than my existing car tbh. I want to drive one to see how planted they are, I want away from a car that moves and drags you around.

I'm hoping we'll have a house in the coming months and then I'll be in a better position and will know for certain whether I can afford one or not.

I'd get the P1 first mate as it sounds like a car you really want. Post some pics up when you get one!