Clutch / Synchro Problems?

martinj46

Advanced Member
UPDATE:

I had my new clutch and flywheel fitted on Tuesday, so currently working through the bedding in miles. So far though, all is well again :)

Phelpo711

Advanced Member
My old type r had this problem, but it was vibrating on the clutch pedal when depressed. Took out the gearbox and changed the clutch, the release bearing was goosed - in 3 parts! Obviously if the clutch isn't being released properly then you won be able to change gears as you should

Col R

I'm with what Phelpo's stated i.e the release bearing is worth checking. If possible, take off the gearbox and check to make sure it releases as it should...

Edit: You won't be doing that if it's all done! So did you find out what the problem was?

VT-Doo

RushDoo
Martinj46: You didn't tell us what the condition of the clutch was when it was removed.
I honestly think it that wasn't the problem. Not saying the release bearing couldn't have been the issue if it wasn't replaced with an OEM one though.

Judder while pulling away does tend to be engine mount(s) related.

If there's a crunch going into gear then this can point towards the syncros. However before condemning them I'd start by bleeding the clutch reservoir, adjusting the clutch pedal and changing the gearbox oil.

Dan Evans

Advanced Member
Bit of a thread hijack here.

My clutch bite is late and once at the bite it goes very numb, not too much of an issue once moving but annoying in traffic. Car is at around 70k on original clutch. To me this feels like a worn clutch and I plan on replacing it next week. Just thought id check the late bite wasn't a standard teg characteristic that all cars have? don't imagine it will be tbh

martinj46

Advanced Member
VT-Doo said:
Martinj46: You didn't tell us what the condition of the clutch was when it was removed.
I honestly think it that wasn't the problem. Not saying the release bearing couldn't have been the issue if it wasn't replaced with an OEM one though.

Judder while pulling away does tend to be engine mount(s) related.

If there's a crunch going into gear then this can point towards the syncros. However before condemning them I'd start by bleeding the clutch reservoir, adjusting the clutch pedal and changing the gearbox oil.
I'll be honest here, I was so excited to get the car back I forgot to ask the garage about the parts they took off. The mechanic talked me through the work they'd done though and would have mentioned if the clucth/flywheel had been fine (they are a decent and honest garage)

That's been more than a month now though, and everything is still fine, so I'm confident in saying that the new clutch and flywheel has fixed the problem.