Coilovers vs Standard +FRSU

dave c

400hp K20
What happened to the original post?

Continued...

Original post by George K:

Putting vested interests to one side, I thought that some of the following comments might be helpful.

The o.e.m spring rates are a bit difficult to interpret as they are rising rate. The fronts start at 2.8 kg/mm and rise to 4.00 kg/mm (the Eibachs are marginally softer). The rears go from 3.00 to 8.00. I have measured the fronts on my facelift, and they are virtually linear at 4.00.

Most kits are at least 6.00 at the front and 9.00 plus at the rear. Some are 8/10 (Meister R) and others 8/12 – race set-ups are considerably stiffer.

As a comparison the Megane 250R Cup, a good handling car by most standards, is 6.5 front and rear 4.00 (rear is not valid comparison, as a totally different suspension system), and there is quite a lot of feedback to suggest that the ride is marginal on the road, and also it is a bit stiff for the wet. It weighs almost 1,400 kg, about 20% more than the DC5 – which would scale the fronts back to 5.2 for the weight of the DC5.

The are pros and cons to rising rate springs – great with large load variations or a big aero influence – personally I do not like the way in which the roll stiffness ratio front to rear can change, which is the main reason why I went to coil-overs. Also I only do a very small mileage, so longevity is not an issue. Just to say that I have received a lot of help from AST, who produced a custom set-up to met my specific requirements.

There is obviously more to ride and handling than just springs, and both arbs and dampers play a big role. However since dampers need to be matched to the springs to give realistic control, then just softening them off to compensate for stiff springs is a very poor solution from an engineering standpoint.

On the subject of dampers, they have two functions, 1; to absorb bumps and the like, and 2; to control the rate at which the car rolls or pitches – which is what influences handling. Most coil- over dampers deal with the latter (high speed damping), but do not have the additional valving to deal with low speed damping – on smooth tracks this is not a major issue, but on UK roads it is!. That is unless you spend a lot of money on three way adjustable damping systems (Ohlins or Nitron). Road o.e.m dampers do not always have the full valving system due to cost, but fudge the way the progression works.

The DC5 o.e.m rear dampers have a rating of 190/108 which is disproportionately high compared with the front.

It is also worth noting that some coil-over dampers do not have enough travel to work with softer springs, so they are in a catch 22 situation – even in standard form the DC5 is a bit short of bump travel.

One of the major reasons for having very high spring rates on a strut type suspension is that the roll centre moves all over the place, and so minimising the suspension movement reduces this problem. In the days of the Cosworth Sierra 500 touring cars, front springs were as stiff as 40 kg/mm – albeit with better damping it has now been possible to reduce this a lot.

What would I do for mainly road use? Probably Eibachs, shorter front bump stops and Konis at the rear (there are some for the Civic, so they could easily be adapted). Ideally I would convert the rears to take a linear spring.

Hope that this is of some help/interest.

dave c

400hp K20
Very interesting thanks George,

Can you expand a little on these two points:

"even in standard form the DC5 is a bit short of bump travel" - an explanation of bump travel would be great I have an idea but you seem to know your stuff based on the above post.

"shorter front bump stops" - Again I have an idea but if you could explain that would be great.

I'm looking to improve the handling of the DC5 by adding a couple of bits from BuddyClub -

1. The subframe alignment kit
2. Roll centre adjusters
3. Poly bushes for anti rollbars - Front wishbone bush & caster increase kit

I've enquired about ARB's but the general consensus is that the stock ones are good enough. I uprated the ones on my previous car and the difference was out of this world but that was a micra lol

What would be your un-bias opinion George?

Finally I use the Eibach coilovers (height adjustable only) and I am very happy with them, they seem to be a perfect compromise for the road and do very well on track. The only thing i am considering is firming the spring rate at teh front as when i push the car hard in a corner the springs are so soft that with the lowered ride height I have rubbing issues on the arch liner, I figured a ever so slightly firmer spring would solve this. - would you agree

George K

Advanced Member
My comments on bump travel and bump stops related to o.e dampers and springs. Bump travel is the mount by which the damper can be compressed from normal ride height until it hits the bump stop. To avoid too harsh a transition to the stiffer rate of the bump stop they are normally tapered and quite long.

With road stiffness springs this travel needs to be quite long to avoid regular contact with the bump stops - which can affect the handing quite badly. Normally you shouldn't remove the bump stop as there is a major risk of damaging the damper, but can generally get away with shortening them - we once found 2 seconds a lap just by doing this on a car which went on to lead a major championship. The Type R's in general seem to have been designed for smooth roads, and so run too near the bump stops for UK roads - in particular this apparently is why the FD2 has such a harsh ride.

As for your rubbing the of the wheel arch liner, it is hard to comment without knowing how the car has been set-up - could simply be too low? Do you know what spring rates the Eibach coil-overs have?

Regards

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
The original post has been removed pending an investigation into people misquoting other people which is not on . ( I'm away from my pc currently) so will look later

blueguy

Resident J's whore
George I think the Eibach coilover spring rates are 6 and 9. Travelling at the moment so will need to check when I get home tonight

dave c

400hp K20
George I think the Eibach coilover spring rates are 6 and 9. Travelling at the moment so will need to check when I get home tonight

Cheers' Justin, I'll be honest I had no idea lol other than "quite soft"

George K

Advanced Member
6 and 9 certainly sounds about right for eibachs- see my earlier comments - and is already quite stiff.

In terms of wheel arch rubbing, it could be for a variety of reasons. When on 225 track tyres, which have squarer shoulders than road tyres, my car rubs slightly on the inner arch when on full lock - but has not caused any problems. Otherwise it would sound as though the ride height is too low. If when you jack up the car, the front wheels drop by more than 60 mm, this is most likely to be the answer.

Paul G

Members
6 and 9 certainly sounds about right for eibachs- see my earlier comments - and is already quite stiff.

In terms of wheel arch rubbing, it could be for a variety of reasons. When on 225 track tyres, which have squarer shoulders than road tyres, my car rubs slightly on the inner arch when on full lock - but has not caused any problems. Otherwise it would sound as though the ride height is too low. If when you jack up the car, the front wheels drop by more than 60 mm, this is most likely to be the answer.

Hi George, you know your stuff !!

Seems to be more people now setting there cars up with softer springs on the rear.....I've always had it the other way round, eg the set up i liked the most was on my UKDC2 and that was 10K frt & 16k rear, on track tyres it was the best i've ever had. going to a dc5 for a race car was not my best idear.. :mellow:

Do you think it could have been even better with the softer rear springs people seem to be going for, or is it that i like my cars tail happy ? I ask because i now have a DC2 again that i do track days in/drive on the odd occasion at the wk end & i'm looking to fit coilovers...

Thank you.

dave c

400hp K20
George I think you are dead right the car is a smidge too low, well I guess I'll have to live with it as it's the height I want.

Any opinions on uprating the roll bars? Firmer rear give you better turn in doesn't it?

Cusco do a set amongst others

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
be carefull with anti roll bars, many are made for the rsx not itr so wont fit
cusco should be fine

George K

Advanced Member
Paul G - I have actually made a computer model of the DC5 in Excel (along with a couple of other cars that friends compete with), which is how I calculate spring rates. As you know the DC2 has different suspension layouts, so I can not pass comment without measuring and weighing one!

Dave C - stiffer rear bars do not improve turn-in, what they do is to increase oversteer/reduce understeer once the car has settled into a corner. The best way to improve turn-in is by increasing front bump damping, or possibly by playing with toe and camber.

dave c

400hp K20
So George, I'm looking to further improve the handling, to be honest i'm really happy with it as is I just want even more. I guess from your posts that your car is set up very well for road (you hillclimb right?)

Do you run uprated rollbars if so, what brand and size + mini review? If not, why not and the theory behind your decision. Sorry for the extensive grilling :oops:

My car is currently a weekend toy, I have speed bumps near my home and I don't want the car too firm for the road but I do plan to do more track days this year so the best balance of ride comfort and handling performance is what I'm looking for, any advice would be very greatly appreciated.

George K

Advanced Member
I am inherently cautious about providing too much advice as not only has my development been specifically aimed at hillclimbs and my aging reflexes, which have the two main requirements of working well on cold tyres and not being at all tail happy - there simply isn't room to get out of shape between walls, banks and trees, but also that any set up should be tailored to specific requirements. In addition some of my work has gone out on a limb and does not necessarily support the claims for a lot of products - but for full blooded high speed circuit work it could well be different. If you want to pm with more details, then I will try to help.

The only initial comment is that getting the ride height right is about a lot more than just appearance. Low could be slow!

Best regards

MeisterR

Just saw this and I might add a few thing to this discussion:

1. The DC5 MeisterR Springs Rate have been 10/10 for the DC5.
We use a slightly harder rate in the front to help against some of the oversteering issue that the DC5 had.
But we might drop this down to 8/10 as it seems to give the bias that most owners are looking for, but that is in the middle of testing at the moment.
We are happy to provide custom rate so if you do want to get a different rate, just let me know.

2. The rear of the DC5 / EP3 is VERY SHORT to begin with.
We have design the suspension to be as short (therefore as low) as possible without compromising too much damper stroke travel.
So far we have adequate damper stroke travel build into the Zeta-R coilovers and bottoming out isn't an issue.
The good news is because of the dual perch design, you can set the suspension at any ride height as the damper stroke travel are not compromised by ride height changes.

3. When looking at springs rate, you want to compare apple to apple.
One thing many members find on the MeisterR coilovers is that the suspension is alot softer and more compliant than what the springs rate would suggest.
The main reason for this is because we have a dual perch suspension, and therefore the springs will not but under any tension at full droop (wheels in the air).
This is different from single perch coilovers as most of them will have to run a significant amount of springs tension to achieve your desired ride height, therefore they will be stiffer on the same springs rate (which is why they use lower springs rate normally).

Finally, suspension setting is a personal preference and therefore subjective.
What works one for one may not be good for an other... and of course everything works together as a whole package.
So adding chassis reinforcement, changing anti-roll bars, etc... all will make a difference.

This is why I normally recommend changing things one at a time because you want to know what one change made to the car before you add another mods to it.
You want to work towards what you ideally want the car to do, not just add everything from the catalogue on the car and expect it to handle like a race car.

George K

Advanced Member
Quote: Just saw this and I might add a few thing to this discussion:

3. When looking at springs rate, you want to compare apple to apple.
One thing many members find on the MeisterR coilovers is that the suspension is a lot softer and more compliant than what the springs rate would suggest.
The main reason for this is because we have a dual perch suspension, and therefore the springs will not but under any tension at full droop (wheels in the air).
This is different from single perch coilovers as most of them will have to run a significant amount of springs tension to achieve your desired ride height, therefore they will be stiffer on the same springs rate (which is why they use lower springs rate normally).

Comment: At the risk of being contentious, it is difficult to let these comments pass without some engineering input. I know that I should probably keep my head down, but such information is technically dubious and thus potentially misleading. Obviously Renault, acknowledged masters in this field, do not know as much as is generally acknowledged!

The rate of a linear spring is fixed regardless of how much it is compressed, and thus an apple is an apple! The only circumstances in which it will appear to be stiffer (less compliant is quite a nice description), is when there is so much pre-load that there is no droop travel, i.e if the car is jacked up the wheels do not drop at all, and as a result a considerable load is required to compress the springs at all. This scenario pre-supposes a high ride height – hardly likely to be an issue for anyone on this forum. A more feasible problem is that in achieving a low ride height the car ends up hitting the bump stops in normal use. Obviously ‘dual perches‘ help avoid both scenarios but, as any decent suspension engineer will design the dampers to provide a sensible amount of bump and droop, this is highly unlikely unless the ride height is set way out of the design range. Thus the degree of ‘compliance‘ provided by most suspensions will be a direct function of the spring rate (ignoring the effect of damper setting) and to suggest otherwise is a physical impossibility. The amount of pre-load/tension at full droop is irrelevant, unless as described earlier, there is not any droop!

dotty

Advanced Member
I'm looking at keeping my Teg a little longer than expected now, I've been toying with replacing the eibachs I have with a set of 'street' type coilovers, I think I have decided that I will get some Nitron NTR sports pretty soon.

http://www.nitron.co.uk/shop/product/1872/honda-integra-type-r-dc5-ntr-sport

dave c

400hp K20
How much is he charging for those Dotty? Heard a lot about them but never off anyone who's actually tried them yet

dotty

Advanced Member
I don't think they are ready yet, last time I enquired with Nitron they were due for release at the end of the year, I have sent another email out :)