Coilovers vs Standard +FRSU

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
Very interesting topic, I have a lot to learn in this area still. I've always rolled with stock dampers (now 12yr old), tenabe gf-210 springs and drop is 25mm and not too harsh. I've always found this setup excellent with FRSU with no oversteer at all. On track the lack of movement on the rear didn't help me getting the front in and since installing an uprated rear ARB Its induced oversteer albeit controllable which allows me to lift off oversteer into tighter corners to get the front tucked into the apex that bit more. I'm really enjoying the setup atm :)

dave c

400hp K20
Very interesting topic, I have a lot to learn in this area still. I've always rolled with stock dampers (now 12yr old), tenabe gf-210 springs and drop is 25mm and not too harsh. I've always found this setup excellent with FRSU with no oversteer at all. On track the lack of movement on the rear didn't help me getting the front in and since installing an uprated rear ARB Its induced oversteer albeit controllable which allows me to lift off oversteer into tighter corners to get the front tucked into the apex that bit more. I'm really enjoying the setup atm :)
So the swaybars are a good upgrade then? I wanted Olly's but I think Dotty got them snapped up in lightening quick time

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
Well I had front lca super pro bushes and rear arb and brace fitted at the same time and difference was night and day! Wouldn't turn back ever! Feels more akin to a go kart now with a sharp and positive front due to tighter bushes and no roll on rear gives great control and hyper reactive response. Hopefully that makes sense? Imagine going left and right quickly in a stock dc5 at 50mph, as you turn there would be a slight delay before anything happens and then the rear would feel heavy and sluggish, then imagine doing it in a go kart ;)

blueguy

Resident J's whore
Given the recent discussion of suspension setups - Bump for one of the many gems of a thread we have in the archives.

DC5_Bonson

Advanced Member
I find oem dampers with lowering springs are the best all around. The damping rates are perfect to handled the weight of DC5 chassis with firm support on the bends and comfortable enough for the bumpy roads. They are build to last a long time without maintenance unlike many other cars which starts to leak after a certain mileage.

I ran with Tein lowering springs, uprated bushings, FRSU, Bubbyclub RCA, strut bars & cusco ARBs on the track/road and i don't think there's any more areas for improvement.

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
Couldn't agree more Bonson. I have the GF-210 springs, stock dampers, FRSU and Progress ARB.

Dan34

Advanced Member
One thing I found is that my coilovers have a more compliant ride than spoon springs. Can't comment on eibach springs though as I've not had them on a dc5.

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Interesting read indeed :)

Im in the process of buying all the bits to upgrade/ overhal my setup so im hoping after reading this the car will feel completely different.

Im ordering....

all FRSU bolts arms etc,
either Tein SS, Spoon, Or Eibach Pro kit springs, (Driven on the Eibachs, and the Teins, not the Spoons) Just have to decide which ones. lol
Hardrace hardened rubber Front control arm bushings,
And some new OEM top mounts,

Shocks were changed when I bought the car under warranty at the front by Torque GT, rears are fine.

When you say compliant Dan, do you mean the spoons were very unforgiving?? I use the car daily, and the crashy roads around Somerset are terrible with OEM, but stories are putting me off the Spoons and the Teins, but I prefer how they look over the Eibachs.

I drove Porthos' car, and it was an excellent drive, getting back in mine has forced me to finally start buying bits. haha But I cant help but think without changing my wheels from OEM, the Eibachs will still give that slight reversed rake effect. hmmmm Maybe I should by all three. hahaha :xhuh:

Dan34

Advanced Member
Yeah to me the spoons gave a harsher ride compared to my coilovers. In terms of handling they were great but just seemed a bit harsh for springs IMO.

Dan34

Advanced Member
Jimmer said:
hmm ok, are they as bad as standard would you say?
If I'm honest I can't remember as I didn't have stock springs on for very long. I don't think its worth paying out for new spoon springs over eibachs etc.