Complete beginner looking for help!

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
Patch_teg said:
Will you have plans to mod, sometimes easier and cheaper in the long run if you have one which has had some good choice of mods?
This. I started wanting fully OEM, and now a year on, I've spent more than I care to admit, especially to the wife.....

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

DC5Noob

Advanced Member
If I'm completely honest I don't really know what I would want, it's something that I would learn over time, I really am a beginner, but I suppose we all start somewhere!

I think at first I would like to start basic and learn what I want from actually driving it.

Just need to get one first but don't want to make my first mistake with a bad purchase.

DC5Noob

Advanced Member
....I also would not want to admit this to the misses, but I think I will enjoy adding to it over time, will have to set up a separate bank acc 😄

Darren4

Advanced Member
Have you got insurance sorted out ect? If it have also okay the insurance section, as there's some great companies on there mentioned! Just take your time as there's quite a few bad examples around :(

DC5Noob

Advanced Member
This is what is concerning me, would love to know what you would think is a good example from what's about at the moment?

I have a quote for about 1300 which I was quite happy with?

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
Wow. £1300. I'm paying £400. Guess I'm nearly 40 though...

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Darren4

Advanced Member
DC5Noob said:
This is what is concerning me, would love to know what you would think is a good example from what's about at the moment?

I have a quote for about 1300 which I was quite happy with?
What would be my good example would differ from everyone else tbh. Good example would be clean inside and out, bags of history and a company/person that has cared for the dc5.

This is easy as you can tell when they talk about the condition of the car ect.

Insurance can be expensive if your young/bad area, mainly as it's an import ect.

What area are you from? I say this as it would be good for you to meet up some members, and let them show you around the dc5.

Most members are genuinely, nice where you do get the odd members that wont want to let on about themselves or the car.

Hopefully you can get enough info on here to better yourself when you go to look at one :)

p.s. If you do buy one a teg from the forum, ask as many questions as you can before buying the car especially if it's far away. You can get a good feel for the car/ person selling even before you see it.

I asked so many questions before seeing the car, and even still do to this day lol, but the seller was a down to earth friendly guy :)

DC5Noob

Advanced Member
Tbh my insurance quite is high because I've only been driving a few months, and at 25 that's pretty poor, I used to just drive around with the misses in the car for ages on a provisional!

I'm going to ask as many questions as possible and thanks to you guys I have a rough idea of what to ask!

I'm hoping for clean in and out with something that looks cared for, but would love 80K or less, just concerned I'm asking to much for my budget lol

spooke

Advanced Member
DC5Noob said:
Tbh my insurance quite is high because I've only been driving a few months, and at 25 that's pretty poor, I used to just drive around with the misses in the car for ages on a provisional!

I'm going to ask as many questions as possible and thanks to you guys I have a rough idea of what to ask!

I'm hoping for clean in and out with something that looks cared for, but would love 80K or less, just concerned I'm asking to much for my budget lol
I wouldn't worry about mileage unless it's over 120K, definitely go for one off here. There are a few nice looking examples in the For Sale section which I think you've already seen, check them out in person and see what you think - there is a used car guide on here somewhere :p

muffinman

Advanced Member
Just seen your wanted ad, if you want any info/ help looking at dc5's im only just down the road from you in Lymington

DC5Noob

Advanced Member
I'm gunna try and look at the one for 7750 with 97K on this weekend if he replies! And fingers crossed I might be on my way to ownership soon!

I just need to remember no to get too over excited 😄

p1tse

Advanced Member
Where are you located

Happy to walk you through mine as an example to compare

BAD3GG

Advanced Member
DC5Noob said:

1300 is a good price if you've only been driving a few months mine was 1800 after 8 months and has just gone down to 1100 after a year driving with a year no claims, I think the one you're looking at looks ok, but you never really get the full story from pictures and descriptions. You really need to have a good look round checking all the things pointed out in the basic buyers guide on here and take it for a good drive. Even then you won't find all the niggles with it until you've owned it for a month or two. The advert says it's been imported by Torque GT so the first thing I'd do is get on to them!

Sent from my ONE E1003 using Tapatalk

DC5Noob

Advanced Member
Hadn't thought of that, that's a great idea, anything in particular I should ask them?

Yeah I was quite happy to even be given a quote lol 😋

DC5Noob

Advanced Member
Not to bad, worth the drive for a walk through by someone who knows what they're taking about!

I'll probably be posting some pics on here this weekend so would be great to get opinions on that, and once I've checked a couple out I'm sure I'll have a load more questions!

Need to figure out the difference between being too picky and not caution enough!

BAD3GG

Advanced Member
Just making sure everything in the advert checks out really, the previous owner of my car bought it from Torque GT and I got a lot of history with it as well as a 130 point check by them. So at the very least it will have been checked over by them. Although mine wasn't imported by them I still got quite a bit of history about it.
And as i said in my previous post check out the basic buyers guide on here, it's full of useful tips. And you'll get a general feel for what the cars about just by reading it.

Sent from my ONE E1003 using Tapatalk

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
spooke said:
I wouldn't worry about mileage unless it's over 120K
Why's that mate?

I wouldn't worry about any milage atall personally, low or high, as long as it's maintained and clearly shows it. You will get a better idea by buying one privately though, I always find its nice to talk to the owner and see how you its been looked after, their mannerisms etc. I know you could argue people can put on an act, but i think youd sniff that out if you had any sense, :)

Good luck

spooke

Advanced Member
Jimmer said:
Why's that mate?

I wouldn't worry about any milage atall personally, low or high, as long as it's maintained and clearly shows it. You will get a better idea by buying one privately though, I always find its nice to talk to the owner and see how you its been looked after, their mannerisms etc. I know you could argue people can put on an act, but i think youd sniff that out if you had any sense, :)

Good luck
To be honest it's just a personal thing, but it depends on ownership, if it's done that many miles and been neglected then it's going to need a lot of work. Although the same could be said for a car that's done half that.

Really it just comes down to the previous ownership when looking for a performance used car.