Damaged DC5 on Ebay going cheapish

MJ Type-R

Advanced member
STAY CLEAR

It's rolled over so the Engine wont be much good i.e Oil issues will result.

Mike

carfiend

Advanced Member
Agreed.

When rolled the water and oil would have mixed and badness would of happened. I sure hope he didn't buy it back off the insurer hoping to sell it as scrap himself as it looks like more or less everything is damaged on it.

User

Advanced Member
MJ Type-R said:
STAY CLEAR

It's rolled over so the Engine wont be much good i.e Oil issues will result.

Mike
What if it rolled over and came to rest on it's wheels?

Anyway - the reserve isn't met and bidding has not ended so who know the price.

Not surprised it crash with a tyre mixture on it like that.

gregb

Advanced Member
Made a proper job of that,no panel left unscaved and the optimisum of it not all being that bad :shock:
Maybe the rear wiper still works,(ideal upgrade for wannabe c-packs)

carfiend

Advanced Member
Now I maybe out of sorts with all these new fangled engines but when I have rebuilt rolled ones in the past the main issue with them was with oil starvation since it was being pulled by gravity away from the pump and damage from water and oil mixing by the way of water and oil channels not being designed to be run upside down and so not 100% sealed when not upright.

I maybe and probally are wrong with the K series engines as I have not worked on one before, but as a rule of thumb a rolled engine = duff. Unless your going to rebuild it and I would not want to start messing around with all this high tech VVT stuff!

Anyway I think it would be quicker to count the number of parts not damaged on it than those that are. Maybe that wheel is still roundish?

User

Advanced Member
I can't see that being a problem.

My brother took a Williams engine out of a dead Clio that sat in a field for 24 hours upside down. No oil problems, no water problem, started first time.

I don't understand how turning something upside down will allow water and oil to mix. They're kept seperate.

Wardy7

Advanced Member
Maybe the 2 Recaros would be fine and the floor mats would be all I htink are worth lookign at.
Shame he's not selling for spares as I want another set of mats for the winter to keep the red one's looking as nice as they do :D

Cheers
Wardy

martin200

Advanced Member
If that was down the road from me, I'd have no problems forking out for it. I'd have no problems using that engine, either. If it has rolled and wound up upside down, which by looks of the scratches on the panels it did, yes the oil in the sump would be at the top of the engine, however the rpm that engine would be doing and the short time before, I'd imagine an inertia switch cut the engine out, would mean little damage if any to the engine. Oil film rocks :wink:

But it's miles away, so not interested.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
Me too, would be a good buy and i would buy if i had some spare cash :cry: well worth it just for box and front end

MJ Type-R

Advanced member
When my Tuner went to look at several engines for my replacement one... he went to see one, he could tell the engine had been in a car that rolled, even though the scrap yard said it hadn't.... he walked alway...

So I'm only passing on an experts advice, someone that knows :!:

Hybrid-Theory

Advanced Member
Don't get me wrong, im no expert, although i have rebuilt a few cars.

But when i bought a rolled S2000, which landed on its roof (hardtop) it ran like a dream. There was oil all over the engine so i changed or replaced the oil in this case, drained the rad and refilled it and it ran as sweet as a nut. and i still see it around.

martin200

Advanced Member
MJ Type-R said:
When my Tuner went to look at several engines for my replacement one... he went to see one, he could tell the engine had been in a car that rolled, even though the scrap yard said it hadn't.... he walked alway...

So I'm only passing on an experts advice, someone that knows :!:
How did he determine that the engine had been removed from a rolled car?

Slynx

I'm often reading these forums and sometimes read really silly questions relating to subjects that 'enthusiasts' should know about, and I don't reply to them, but iust have a laugh. I do understand that these forums are to help people with advise and knowledge, for which I am grateful, and have gained a fair bit of knowledge relating to all sorts of things, but regards this subject I feel I have to have my tuppence worth.

I mean, where do they get the idea that oil and water mix just because a car has rolled! Yes, if there is physical damage then possibly, but otherwise................ I've never heard such rubbish in all my life!

User

Advanced Member
I've always been very carefull who I take advice from and who I listen to.

Suggest everyone else does the same.

martin200

Advanced Member
User said:
I've always been very carefull who I take advice from and who I listen to.

Suggest everyone else does the same.
Yep, agreed. There's too many ARMCHAIR EXPERTS on this forum...

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
Well said slynx,

of course if there is the possibility of phisical damage if the engine was run for a period upside down due to the lack of oil on the main and big end bearings and even then it is suprising how long an engine will run at idle and no load with whatever oil was on the crank before going over. At least the cams will have been well lubed :wink:
The water mixing bit is ace, a real classic