DC 5 vs S2000

fenomeno26

Advanced Member
all i am afraid of s2000 is the fact that is so easy for the tail to swing, when driven hard that can be dangerous for aggressive street drivers...

liktup

Advanced Member
dan the man said:
fingers crossed someone on here a pro racing driver to prove a point. :lol:
I actually really dont care :lol:

I bought the DC5 as its reasonably quick, looks nice and is cheap to maintain. If I had opted for a fast car I wouldn't of bought a Honda :wink:

bazza

Advanced Member
Nothing in it on the road.
I think corner entry in the S2000 is faster than the Teg.

Teg has more low down torque so driving on the road doesn't have to be as frantic as it is with the S2000.

I love them both equally but find myself jumping the Teg this time of year :wink:

matt b

Advanced Member
bazza said:

Teg has more low down torque so driving on the road doesn't have to be as frantic as it is with the S2000.

I love them both equally but find myself jumping the Teg this time of year :wink:
What about the EVO TME RS MC? or have you sold that now mate?

Si

Parts Trader
time for a repost

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Ive only been away for three days FFS!

IMHO....... Having driven all three cars back to back, 2 of them daily for over a year now you would think my opinion would count a little :wink:

But the problem is they are very different cars for some interesting reasons, some already have been mentioned in the thread already so forgive me if I repeat. I have been asked which one is better so many times I really cant remember.

Heres our two cars:

1. Silvie (ahem - Thats Kellys name for it) is our DC5 which is pretty standard apart from a mugen exhaust a little extra bracing and maybe a mugen header. 8)

2. My S 8) Which is also slightly modded with a few parts :wink:

Speed, this is easy too answer - the S is quicker in a straight line no doubt about it. Its more rewarding to drive the S "aggressively" as it requires more focus and attention. The stories you hear about the RWD handling being a handful are a little over hyped IMO as you really need to provoke the tail out with the "go pedal", it does tend to snap at this point but is easy to control once practiced. A decent set of tyres which a large amount of tread left on them also makes a huge difference.

The DC5 is far less judgemental about your driving style and will get to point to point in ease just a little less envolving on the limit. I have a road with some really nice twisty bits which I drive nearly every day and back to back there really is little in once corners are involved. But the DC5 is fast and fun just less rewarding IMO

S2000 1 vs DC5 0

Brakes, The brembos are not as good in std form IMO they take a while to gain heat and still feel a bit squishy too... you would think they would be far better with the huge brembo calipers. But in realilty the S2000 brakes are simply amazing in comparision with little fade and remember the S is the heavier car too. So no doubt about it the S wins in this field.

S2000 2 vs DC5 0

Handling, The thing to remember here is that the std DC5 (JDM) is not set up for our bumpy A and B roads. It feels a little off and unsettled compared to the S at high speeds so it needs a little money spent on getting a better setup than std to suit our roads. But that said it goes into corners at very high speed without a fault and always feels that the limit is yet to be found. It needs a track to really find its limits IMO! Both cars suffer from a lack of feedback thats found when driven compared to the DC2 but the S has slightly more feel in its even in set up as a crusier as stock. Its just easier driving the DC5.... so the DC5 should win this field becuase of its simplicity, but the S is good too - once you have learnt to drive it! It has to be a draw as both have a weak spot that requires a little work to get the best out of both cars.

S2000 3 vs DC5 1

Insurance, Kelly pays about £1k and I pay a little less than £800 both with Keith Michaels - inc mods but im 30 and shes 24 :wink: :lol: As been previously stated not everyone will insure a DC5 so a little more hunting is required than normal. Pretty much even though on other counts

S2000 4 vs DC5 2

Fuel, About the same, but the DC5 prefers the 99ron which Tesco's sell rather the Optimax due to is origins, which makes the DC5 the better in this area as tesco's is cheaper!

S2000 4 vs DC5 3

Fun, Its a seasonal thing really, the S will give you months of pleasure in the summer and months of waiting for the sun too come out in the winter. The hardtop that we have makes the S "two" cars IMO and its always nice after fitting/removing it as it gives you that new car feeling! I prefer the driving posistion of the S as the DC5 always feels high up compared even with is lovely recaro's .The DC5 is fun but the S goes the extra mile you just need to ignore all the hairdresser jokes :winks:

S2000 5 vs DC5 3

Realiably, Never had a problem with either - Parts are not an issue with the DC5 either. Our DC5 drinks oil just like our old DC2, the S doesn't .... yet. Draw. Nuff said :)

S2000 6 vs DC5 4

Modability,The S, like most honda's is pretty much as good as it gets out of the box, it takes lots of money too get a little gain (trust me! :cry: ). The DC5 with its huge following of K-Pro fans manages to get my vote on this one. Many have experienced fantastic results and if she would let me it would be something we did to ours, which would proberbly make it quicker too :idea:

S2000 6 vs DC5 5

Practicality, We drove to devon in the S and it fitted everything we required for a weeks holiday fairly well. But a few months later we went to dorset in the DC5, you can proberbly live out of the boot of that car for a lifetime whilst taking two friends with you!! On long journeys the DC5 is far more comfortable as well. DC5 wins this round pretty much hands down!!

S2000 6 vs DC5 6

Overall,Looks like its a draw then, which pretty much sums up how I feel about both cars really. On meets when asked which one I prefer it depends on the day/mood! :roll:

So it depends on what really matters to you I guess, both cars are better in some areas than the other (IMO!)and both cars are great fun on their own merits. We are lucky to have one of each, but soon the DC5 will have to go due to Kelly's job changing to a more local posting. It will be a shame to see it go tho!

Kelly has read this post before I submitted it and she aggrees with everything I have put, without too much fuss (I think she just wants a quiet day tho :wink: ) Which ones better than a DC2 well... thats another story :arrow: but it will proberbly loose a few points due to its age and looks! :wink:

S2000 6 vs DC5 6

BTW this is IMHO so I'm sure a few others will disagree.

I've been busy lately and haven't been around much!! Done this :arrow: (which in turn makes the S2K better than the DC5 and I dare anyone too argue!)

matt b

Advanced Member
Shit the bed SI what the hell have you been up too :?:

Im sure you said you were defo not modding the S after the Spoon system :lol: :lol:

CP2708

I completely agree, owned an s2k before the DC5 found the traction to be much better in the dry and MUCH more thrilling to drive fast, that could have been the spine tingling exhaust note with the top down tho! The general quality of the interior materials is better in the s as well. The DC5 is a much better practical proposition for a main car but in my opinion the s2000 is the better car to drive and as said a lot more involving. The K20A is definitely more flexible down the rev range making it less of a chore to drive though. I used to look for an excuse to go over the moors in the s just for the thrill of it, I don't get that urge in the DC5.

Chris.

bazza

Advanced Member
matt b said:
bazza said:

Sold the Evo. Took an S2000 in PX 8)

Neil_H

Advanced Member
CP2708 said:
I completely agree, owned an s2k before the DC5 found the traction to be much better in the dry and MUCH more thrilling to drive fast, that could have been the spine tingling exhaust note with the top down tho! The general quality of the interior materials is better in the s as well. The DC5 is a much better practical proposition for a main car but in my opinion the s2000 is the better car to drive and as said a lot more involving. The K20A is definitely more flexible down the rev range making it less of a chore to drive though. I used to look for an excuse to go over the moors in the s just for the thrill of it, I don't get that urge in the DC5.

Chris.
My feelings exactly Chris.

em2

Si :shock: hubba hubba 8)

Can you take me out for a spin in the yellow one??????

matt b

Advanced Member
bazza said:
matt b said:
bazza said:

that was such a mint mint 6!!!!!!!! loved it 8) sod this GSR AYC stuff, just get down and hardcore!

Si

Parts Trader
matt b said:
sh*t the bed SI what the hell have you been up too :?:

Im sure you said you were defo not modding the S after the Spoon system :lol: :lol:
Im yet to get it dyno'd matt but it should be around 300bhp, I had the cat refit today along with a AFR gauge so I can keep an I on things. It goes very blurry after about 7500rpm!!

bazza

Advanced Member
matt b said:
bazza said:
matt b said:
bazza said:

that was such a mint mint 6!!!!!!!! loved it 8) sod this GSR AYC stuff, just get down and hardcore!
It was a great car but not cost effective to use on track.. 4mpg, goes through tyres quickly and Endless discs and pads are almost a grand for the front :oops:

jimmy_atr

Advanced Member
My last day off this week so was planning on test driving some cars id wanted to drive so initially went looking for a 350z and also maybe Porsche boxter. Then noticed an S2K at my cousin's dealership. Had driven one for like 5 mins previously so asked if i could have a extended run with it. He was fine and so i took it out for about 45mins.

Was a 2002 in girly light blue with 45k on the clock and FHSH. Completely standard and in pretty good condition. Anyway to cut a long story short i wasnt that impressed Maybe i had high expectations but this one didnt quite live up to my hype.

I liked the looks although colour was horrid and the blue interior was not my cup of tea. The driving position was much better than DC5, cramped but its not meant to be spacious - but I might struggle on long journeys. The dash display is retro but i loved it!

Acceleration first up was good but it felt a bit sluggish low down, but once it does get going the power delivery through the rev range was awesome and it just keeps going!!

Its handling was awesome, much more responsive than the DC5 but thats what you get from the front wheels only steering and not having to deal with the power too. I was initially scared to give it some round corners but it was a nice day and the more i drove it the more confident i got. The lack of torque low down on the Honda's really suit the S2K as it means unlike turbo RWD its more confidence inspiring.

All in all it was a really nice car but after a 45min drive it didnt do it for me. Cant put my finger on it but this was more evident when i got into the DC5 and it felt much more suited. Acceleration in the DC5 seems much more hectic and appears to be going faster than i suppose it would in the S2k so that might be why. There was no chance of me getting near the full potential of the car so maybe after a while of ownership it might improve no end but on the basis of first drives it wasnt as good as the DC5 or even the ATR I do think though that it may be a case of getting used to the car but then again would i want to buy something that i had to get used to?