DC5 ECU Problem - Help!!

Duckhunter

Hi Guys,

Finnaly upgraded from my DC2 - to a DC5 about a month ago. Car has been a dream till about 2 weeks ago. I went to pull away from work in cold start mode and she jumped forward. Didn't think too much off it cos we all know they can be jumpy, but then i noticed that the ECU light was on :shock:

Then when i reved the engine my revs start bouncing up and down so i bite the bullet and call the man from the AA. He plugs her in and it tells him that the "Idle Control Stabalizer Motor" needs reseting. He does this and it works fine.

Then next day, it happens again. I turn her on when she's cold and the ECU come on as usual, goes out and then comes on again. Turn her on, then when she's warmed up and gives herself a little push, the revs start bouncing again. :cry:

I took it to my main delear and they didn't know whats up with it so they asked HONDA UK in Slough and they said they had to ask HONDA JP. I am still awaiting the results. Anyone heard of this problem before???

By the way it seems I can fix the prob by warming her up and then switching her off and on again about 10 mins later. It's not ideal but she still goes like a dream :D

DC51VTC

Advanced Member
Just to show I ain't being rude I thought I'd post - Sorry Mate, this is a new one on me. Haven't heard of anything similar in the past on Hondas either...

Duckhunter

Thanks guys!!

It booked in for Tues 23rd so I will let you all know. I will be praying to the God of Type-R thats it's covered under the warrenty!!

Duckhunter

Update

So I took my car to HONDA again and they pretty much say the same thing, that the problem leads them to the wireing or a circuit in the ECU. Now they have requested the wiring diagrams from Japan or so they say!!

I'm also going to get my alarm disconected this week to see if that is maybe causing the problem. Bit desperate, but gota expl9re all options!!

Duckhunter

Finally the moment has arrived!

car is booked in for Wednesday now as the Garage forman at HONDA feels confident enough now to fix my problem, and I hope he does cos I don't think it's doing my egine any good!!!

Will let you all know the outcome!

jonster

Advanced Member
Hi DH,

Have a look at some of the threads on http://forums.clubrsx.com in the ECU Tunning section. They seem to talk a bit about the idle control value playing up on a numner of K20 engines in the states. I think a Hondata post mentions how to fix it. Sorry I can't be more specific but I can't remeber the extact post. I think it's mentioned in the 'ECU learning' posts.

Check it out.

Jon

Duckhunter

Cheers Jon!

I'll check that out but HONDA should fix the problem anyway.

Mark I'm taking it to Slough for about the 5th time!!!

scaryprowler

Advanced Member
DH,

Slough... that makes sense with the HQ being close. Previously, Ive delt with Ascot (good chaps, not quite up to speed with the DC5, but v. helpful), Newbury (some the boys there have CTRs and have knowledge of the K20)... Reading (a fcuking joke... they tried to convince me that Integras werent made after 2001, had to drag the dosey tw4ts out to the carpark. Horrible attitude too.).

Let us know how you get on...

Duckhunter

Scarry!

How comes you have taken your DC5 to so many dealerships??

I used to take my DC2 to Fleet or Slough cos ones near work or Home. Slough have great customer service and i'll give em credit they aint seen a DC5 before so they are trying.

Just been a real pain in the ass, as HONDA tech dept have been dragging their heals getting info from Japan. Work for the Japs though and can belive that :lol:

Fleet are alright I guess but they just treat you like you own a 10 year old civic. Cmon it's like the best car they make!!! A little enthusiam wouldn't go a miss!

Duckhunter

Jon!!!

Wow! mate a lot of posts on the RSX site about idle problems. None realy sound as bad as mine, but it does appear that because I let the car warm up then leave it for 10 mins or so I am carrying out an idle relearn process which fixes my problem. Then when it's cold again the problem comes back.

Wierd!!

jonster

Advanced Member
Definately a strange problem. Just the excuse to buy the KPro and log the ECU fault codes :)

Hope you sort it.

Jon

Duckhunter

Alright here is the update!

I did the idol restore this morning and she seemed to run sweet. HONDA didn't like that becasue they couldn't pick up an error code. I call them at 4 and they say that they can find no problem! I'm thinkin that maybe this has done the trick :D

Sadly NO!

I come to collect the car and they say that the ECU light came on. Tested the relevant sensor and that was ok, so they say they need to test it with a non defective ECU!!!! :x Nightmare!! They want to try and use CTR one but the import delear reckons he has one that I can swap over next wednesday.

jonster

Advanced Member
DH,

Should have tried my ECU when we were at Tom's. The offer is still there if you want to try mine.

Cheers,

Jon

ps2london

Advanced Member
oh!!!!!!!! i go to Tom's place tomorrow morning, i will bring my orginal ECU with me! if u have time, u just down the road right? or u in slough?

Duckhunter

Every day someone is TG Motorsport!! :shock: ha ha!!

I'm rapidly loosing my exclusivity round these parts.

Thanks for the offers guys, but Jonster I need a pure ECU and you have tainted yours with Hondata :twisted: . Might not be a true test.

The other thing is that I need to use the ECU over a long period of time like 5 or 6 hours. This way I can be sure that the engine is actualy cold enough for the problem to occur.

Franz do you still use your original ECU or are you using the Mugen all the time?? If you could lend me your old ECU I could be around tomorrow morning and meet you. Is your original ECU standard with no Hondata etc??

Thanks Guys
Patrick

ps2london

Advanced Member
come patrick, is pure orginal one i think... not sure about the owner before... but should be fine!

give him back the ECU after u finish will be fine, we see him very often now!