DC5 NH0 Paint

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Unfortunately I've got to have both doors 're-painted' as the doors were painted in Japan and now micro blistering has appeared. What are people's experiences with having championship white bits re-painted?

Did you use base and lacquer or direct gloss?

What was the colour match like? I know it'll have to be blended into the rear quarter and wing but don't want it to stick out like a sore thumb. Any advice/experience is appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

carl hammond

Advanced Member
SamDC5 said:
Unfortunately I've got to have both doors 're-painted' as the doors were painted in Japan and now micro blistering has appeared. What are people's experiences with having championship white bits re-painted?

Did you use base and lacquer or direct gloss?

What was the colour match like? I know it'll have to be blended into the rear quarter and wing but don't want it to stick out like a sore thumb. Any advice/experience is appreciated.

As bad as it may sound the only way to be 100% is a full repaint as anything else leaves an opportunity for potential mismatch (which is why I went the full hog with mine).

Depending on how bad they are a good garage should be able to blend in but you‘ll be looking as blending into both front wings and rear quarters (so depends how good that paint is and how it‘s aged etc).

Personally I‘d call TGM and speak to Will for his advice mate.

Carl

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Repaint is out of the question I don't see the point and the rest is ok. The doors have been previously painted and the colour match is 100%. We're confident we can get it to match just wondered other people's experiences.

p1tse

Advanced Member
I‘m no expert in this field but I know several friends and family who have had large panels done such as a door on all sorts of shades and colour. Each of them had been advised to have it blended in like rear quarter and wings etc.

Doing one door may be tricky. Another option is beppe is getting an import to break which is in CW and just to swap it over

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Patch_teg said:
I‘m no expert in this field but I know several friends and family who have had large panels done such as a door on all sorts of shades and colour. Each of them had been advised to have it blended in like rear quarter and wings etc.

Doing one door may be tricky. Another option is beppe is getting an import to break which is in CW and just to swap it over
It's going to have to be blended no matter how good the match is. Both doors are being painted as they've both been painted previously and have now blistered up.

Starting to lose a bit of faith in the car, doing my head in. Don't really want to swap the doors over but open to the idea if I have to.

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
You can get a near match, but would be a nightmare. Need to scan the rear quarter panel and get it made up to match that.

But, then the front will be different. No 2 ways about it mate, it'll need blending.

I had my mugen bumper done and it needed 2 tries for me to be happy. Luckily the bumper shape hides the slight mismatch to the wings and the bonnet rubber strip hides the change to the bonnet.

How bad is it? Most of the time you only see it if you know it's there or are really looking. For example, my passenger door is fromma different car. My skirts are too. So is the spoiler. And the bumper has been sprayed.

Even at the car shows of last year, only one person noticed, but to me it's blindingly obvious.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

p1tse

Advanced Member
@samdc5, oh no. What else is happening as sounds like falling out with Kt

@johngreen, sounds like you‘ll need a full respray. Is there a special mugen shade lol

SamDC5

Advanced Member
The drivers door I can live with, it's the passenger one that's got worse. Looks like moisture has got to it and now it looks like it's spreading. I'm gutted to be honest.

Just frustrating and now I'm searching for M3's on eBay .

I can live with a shade out or two just don't want it to be instantly recognisable that's all.

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
Patch_teg said:
@samdc5, oh no. What else is happening as sounds like falling out with Kt

@johngreen, sounds like you‘ll need a full respray. Is there a special mugen shade lol
Yeah, it's almost identical, but 3x the price.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

SamDC5

Advanced Member
The problem is, it's got to be done either way as the passenger door is just going to get worse now.

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Take it to a recommended paint shop and let them work their magic. TGM for example, (im not sure where your based) they will be able to sort it. Couldn‘t tell you what sort of paint it would be however in terms of clear coat or not...they will however.

SamDC5

Advanced Member
I've already sorted where it's being painted mate, all that's taken care of. Won't be done until around March time as my mate is booked up until then. He's confident we can get it matched just wondered how other people had gotten on with the shade difference.

Dan B

SamDC5 said:
The drivers door I can live with, it's the passenger one that's got worse. Looks like moisture has got to it and now it looks like it's spreading. I'm gutted to be honest.

Just frustrating and now I'm searching for M3's on eBay .

I can live with a shade out or two just don't want it to be instantly recognisable that's all.

How much do you think it'll cost to have both doors sprayed and matched?

Chin up bud, I know how frustrated you are about this but these things are sent to try us!

Sent from my SM-T530 using Tapatalk

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Dan B said:
How much do you think it'll cost to have both doors sprayed and matched?

Chin up bud, I know how frustrated you are about this but these things are sent to try us!

Sent from my SM-T530 using Tapatalk
I've not had a figure yet but he's a close friend and is doing it 'mates rates'. Both doors will have to be taken to bare metal which is the killer really. I'll be helping him prep them as well. If it was a paint shop I reckon about £350?

Just frustrating really, it's sucked the excitement I had about the car this summer away.

joiner

Advanced Member
It all comes down to the bodyshop, some painters just enter the code into there mixing machine and 80% of the time it's ok once blended, unfortunately on jap cars the paint has seen a lot of UV so is nothing like it. In this instance a skilled painter knows what tint and how much to add to get the correct colour, this may require a few attempts and test cards to get spot on but very few painters do this nowadays.

SamDC5

Advanced Member
joiner said:
It all comes down to the bodyshop, some painters just enter the code into there mixing machine and 80% of the time it's ok once blended, unfortunately on jap cars the paint has seen a lot of UV so is nothing like it. In this instance a skilled painter knows what tint and how much to add to get the correct colour, this may require a few attempts and test cards to get spot on but very few painters do this nowadays.
The paint will be matched to the rear quarter, my mate is a close family friend and has his own business repairing and repainting cars. He's worked with NH0 before and says it will be fine it'll just need to be blended into the wing and quarter. My dad is also a painter and is confident we'll be fine. I've just heard multiple people saying how they've had things painted in NH0 and it's come out looking worse.

Chrismartin

Advanced Member
To blend it all which you'll need your be spending considerably upwards of 350 quid. Budget 500. And don't skimp out for a good job.