DC5 or WRX????!

DAN1981

Hi guys, this be my first post :D and I need a little advice.

Am planning to buy either a MY06 Impreza WRX (Euro Import) or a DC5...

How does the DC5 compare to the WRX???
Anyone driven them back to back?

Also, I have been searching all over the net to find out how much mpg (combined) the DC5 does?

If anyone can help I'd appreciate it.

User

Advanced Member
I've had 6 (yes SIX) scoobs in a row.

Last one was a WRX PPP 05 plate. 260 bhp. Prodrive handling pack too.

The DC5 outpaces, outhandles and outbrakes the WRX PPP. It's also better built using better materials, and looks better.

The WRX PPP had a quicker 0-60 but after 60mph the DC5 would rip it a new one.

However, the DC5 can not compete with the WRX on wet roads or very bumpy roads, it's just not cut out for that sort of work.

I've had both on track and again, surprise surprise the DC5 is a class about - better feel, better response, and just begging to be thrown around. The WRX weighs around 1390 kilos I think - it does not like to be swtiched from left to right - the weight acts as a pendulum and you never really know what it's going to do. DC5 on the other hand can switch direction like a housefly, it weighs 200 kilos less at least.

Should help..... :lol:

gregb

Advanced Member
you should be asking yourself turbo or n/a.
i`m personally n/a wound and have very little time for forced induction.unless it`s a 2.6 twin turbo gtr r34 knocking on my door,
well if your going to go turbo may aswell do it properly.
i`ll be saving that gem for my midlife crisis :lol:

personally if i had a choice i`d be in an evo rather than an wrx,but i`m a million miles from that crossroads.

mpg never entered my head when my dc5 or any other cars i`ve owned.

jonnyr

It must be a DC5.. DC5's are so much more unique.. Anybody can buy a 1600 Scooby and turn it in2 a WRX look-a-like.. When you see a DC5, you know its a DC5.. Plus they really are so much more beautiful..

Definetly The Teg... all the way... :D

Evs

Advanced Member
I've driven a MY04 UKDM WRX back to back with an STi and also a JDM STi RA Spec C back to back with a DC5. Personally I preferred the DC5 to all of them.

This was a while ago now, but the things I remember about the WRX are lots of midrange torque, quick steering, and soft suspension. This would make it great on really bumpy roads but it just didn't feel 'hardcore' enough for me tbh. The STi was much better but just too expensive for what it was tbh.

The DC5 feels much better engineered, sharper and more focused. It's also a Honda, is much rarer, miles better looking and has a nicer interior imho, but it has the drawbacks of relatively poor ride, import costs etc.

If you want a nice refined sports saloon for carrying passengers then the WRX is fine, but the DC5 is just in a different league as a driver's car imho.

JiB

Advanced Member
For me, it depends what kinda roads are intending to be driven, the WRX is quicker in the more open roads, or in any situation where traction can be an issue. However, I did not feel the WRX to be as satisfying to drive as the Teg.

And the WRX felt quicker in the 120-160kmph range?

I can do 600km per 50L in my Teg, but I can not speak for the WRX. My vote goes for the DC5. But in the end, who really cares what other people think? It's your car, and it's you that will be driving it, not other people lol.

...Just my 2c

User

Advanced Member
Problem with the WRX is it "feels" quicker than the teg because of the torque delivery - you get it all in one go. Whereas in the Teg it's spread out evenly....which doesn't "feel" as brutal.

The car that gives you a dollop of torque suddenly always feels quicker - but isn't necessarily.

That shove in the back is nice - off a turbo - but it's actually quite unsettling for the car mid bend - doesn't make for a stable car.

The DC5 even as standard is quicker than a WRX PPP once rolling. Proof of this is in each cars 1/4 terminal - the DC5 crosses the line a good 2 or 3 mph extra.

User

Advanced Member
May as well list what I've driven/owned :-

Classic Sport
Classic Turbo (UK)
Bug Eye GX
Bugeye WRX
Bugeye WRX PPP
Blob WRX and WRX PPP
Blob Sti non PPP
WR1
P1 (only for 5 minutes, then it went into limp home mode)

And a few weeks ago an 06 Sti 2.5 - god damn that was crap. :(

Very asthmatic, no go over 6,500 rpm.

dcslik

To be honest, they are both cracking cars!! lets be fair here people.

and as already mentioned...it really depends on what you want....turbo or not? type of roads you will be driving on?
whichever car you choose, you defo be able to burn off a CTR :lol:

My personal opinion is to go for the DC5; picking up my 2002 in red in two weeks time and cant wait :wink:
However, if you're comparing the STi to the DC5, I would probably go for the STi... have you checked out Litchfield Imports? They sell the MY06 STi Type 20 with 320bhp and 320lb of torque!!!! mental!

Before I sign off here, isn't the 2.5 WRX actually faster than DC5??

I was reading TopGear mag, and it states 0-60 is 5.4??!
and the DC5 does it in 6.8? correct me if im wrong :roll:

well.. my 2cents anyways.

Slik.

User

Advanced Member
dcslik said:
Before I sign off here, isn't the 2.5 WRX actually faster than DC5??

I was reading TopGear mag, and it states 0-60 is 5.4??!
and the DC5 does it in 6.8? correct me if im wrong :roll:
Since when has 0-60 been the be all and end all of measuring a car's performance? :lol:

0-60 is for two things -

1 - Taking on chavs at traffic lights
2 - Impressing your car stupid mates at the pub

:wink:

Ken A

Advanced Member
DC5 is listed at just under 6secs 0-60 AFAIK...in perfect conditions obviously. if its anyway damp...forget about even trying it !! :lol:

dcslik

I reckon they are both evenly matched cars, whichever cars faster depends on the driver 8)

User

Advanced Member
dcslik said:
I reckon they are both evenly matched cars, whichever cars faster depends on the driver 8)
WRX - 230bhp - 1400 kilos
DC5 - 220 bhp - 1180 kilos

How exactly is 10 bhp extra going to overcome being over 200 kilos heavier?

imran

User said:
dcslik said:
WRX - 230bhp - 1400 kilos
DC5 - 220 bhp - 1180 kilos

How exactly is 10 bhp extra going to overcome being over 200 kilos heavier?
:lol:

Gaz 1

Advanced Member
I've had a run against a WRX all the way to 70mph :roll: and it lost.

And test was done on a private track :wink:

gsrgeoff

Advanced Member
100 kg less is roughly equal to 22bhp more :lol: :wink:

DC5 everytime - Scoobs are poor at handling and just too heavy (had 1 ................and now 7 evo's !!)

mikegsi

Staff member
back on the road now then are you, aparently not only scoobs are poor at handling, but some evo's are as well!.......

gsrgeoff

Advanced Member
mikegsi said:
back on the road now then are you, aparently not only scoobs are poor at handling, but some evo's are as well!.......
They don't handle that good upside down :lol:

EVO's handle better with every model - remember I lost mine on the straight !!

Dave SS

gsrgeoff said:
They don't handle that good upside down :lol:

EVO's handle better with every model - remember I lost mine on the straight !!
what you need is a nice family-sized diesel :idea: :wink: