DC5 rust

Lewis93

Advanced Member
Mine is also '01, I'm pretty sure it's been garaged all it's life in the UK with the condition of the paint but my rear right has a tiny spec of rust showing so I'm getting that treated next time in the UK and getting the guy to have a real good luck for anymore, taking body panels off etc.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Quick question.

My scuttle panel is loose mainly due to the silly Teg M fitment.

I've noticed there is a fair bit of rust now in the engine bay which is pretty clear is coming from water running down the damaged/loose scuttle panel and into the engine bay stemming from washing.

I'm not expecting an easy fix and obviously I'm aware that it will need a new scuttle first and foremost to prevent it from happening further.

Is sorting engine bay rust a difficult job due to the nature of where all the parts are etc?

I really don't want it to get any worse going forward but it looks a nightmare job.

Britz

Advanced Member
I‘ve done mine it meant completely stripping everything out the engine bay then had it shot blasted all back to clean metal re painted and then put everything back together it‘s hasn‘t been easy but wasn‘t as hard as I thought it would be I‘m no mechanic just took lots of photos and all nuts and bolts into labels containers check out my thread if your interested I‘ll be uploading more pics on it soon

Crackfox

Advanced Member
You got any pictures crazy legs? Might be easier to help. I'm doing my boot at the min, it's a right mess around under the rubber seal

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Crackfox said:
You got any pictures crazy legs? Might be easier to help. I'm doing my boot at the min, it's a right mess around under the rubber seal

I don't at the moment pal but I can get some, it's actually not as bad I was thinking but it could do with being sorted. Will try and get some photos over the weekend.

Sent from my moto g(6) plus using Tapatalk

Britz

Advanced Member
It was a bit of a nightmare but I enjoyed at the same time Yeah I took everything out the bay so was literally just chassis left. Sorry I‘ve not had any experience with cleaning products I sent mine to a sand blaster so the whole bay was blasted back to clean bare metal

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Blimey, some extensive work done there.

No way can I afford that level of work, long term if I keep the car then yes I will have it all restored and resprayed and hopefully the engine will be out for that to be done.

I might just buy some stuff myself and use a wire brush and try and remove what's there at the moment see if it helps.

I'll upload some photos in a few minutes which show the rust.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Crackfox said:

Some pictures here bud.

Crackfox

Advanced Member
Wow yeah that's alot to deal with. It's only surface rust though so not the end of the world yet. Most of that you can wire brush off and treat. It will be the getting to the parts and finishing coat that will be the problem.

CW05TEG

Advanced Member
Most of it will be superficial so not too hard to sort. The minor stuff like nuts and bolts can be stripped and replated which will transform the overall appearance. However it does look as though the paint on the shock towers has broken through so I guess it depends on what your long term aspirations are with it. If you plan to keep it in the long run then the only way to really freshen it up would be to strip it down, clean out all the nooks and crannies, prep the rusty areas, repsray and reassemble. It's a pretty big job and then you need to consider the rest of the car too. Chances are if the engine bay is showing signs of corrosion, the rest of the chassis and suspension will be too.

I think these days Dc5 ownership is slightly misunderstood. They don't really look like a classic, yet they are approaching 20yrs old now so even the later ones will be showing signs of their age - unless they've been pampered and kept in dry storage, that is. I expect within the next 5years or so we will start to see more being broken up for spares as the owners haven't got the time or resources to restore them. The luckier ones will be rebuilt and the remaining few will be kept as garage queen's and rarely used, hiking the prices up. Based on the data on howmanyleft.com it seems this is already starting to happen - there's nearly as many on sorn as there is taxed at the minute.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Thanks mate for the detailed reply. I have to agree and I think you're spot on there with everything. I've been thinking this last week or so about keeping it for a long time as a project with the view to fully restoring it. It's going through a mini front end suspension refresh of sorts so long term I'd like to strip it back to bare metal and have it fully resprayed, I'd likely use TGM for the work but that's a while off yet. It definitely needs doing before I even contemplate doing any further modifications. I'm in a better paying job now and although the next year is essentially a write off financially as I've got my brothers stag do, wedding and a mini holiday planned as well as finding a house, I'm confident that long term I'll be able to get all the work done so the car is back to how it would have come from the factory. That's the plan anyway but its going to take a lot of work to get it where I'd like it to be. Thanks again for the feedback and advice.

CW05TEG

Advanced Member
From what you say it's probably worthwhile just accepting it for what it is for now then. Providing it's still able to pass its mot, just enjoy it for the time being. When the time comes, by all means get it sorted properly but I hate to start a job I don't have the means to see through. I once stripped my old nsr125 down and its still in my parents garage 12yrs later 😂.

The way I see it with mine is I can either use it properly and just live with the fact certain things aren't perfect, or keep it wrapped in bubble wrap but not get the fun out of owning it. I bought mine for the enjoyment I get from driving it, not to sit and look at it 😉.

ste01

Advanced Member
Crazylegs, don't forget you've got the Wales factor too. Sea air isn't kind to cars either and it makes a much bigger difference than most people realise. Get yourself some ACF50 to protect parts you can't underseal, every little helps :)

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Best thing to do now is probably just rub some areas down, use some rust converter/killer and coat them. It'll stop it getting worse and spreading. It won't look pretty much it will save it.

One thing I would do is take off the strut brace, rub the area down and spray it up.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
CW05TEG said:
From what you say it's probably worthwhile just accepting it for what it is for now then. Providing it's still able to pass its mot, just enjoy it for the time being. When the time comes, by all means get it sorted properly but I hate to start a job I don't have the means to see through. I once stripped my old nsr125 down and its still in my parents garage 12yrs later .

The way I see it with mine is I can either use it properly and just live with the fact certain things aren't perfect, or keep it wrapped in bubble wrap but not get the fun out of owning it. I bought mine for the enjoyment I get from driving it, not to sit and look at it .
Haha 12 years late lol, you should get back on it mate ha!

Hey nice one, appreciate the help and advice with this. I will do what Sam said below and will likely try and treat the areas I can for now pending a full going over and respray when I finally find the money and time.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
ste01 said:
Crazylegs, don't forget you've got the Wales factor too. Sea air isn't kind to cars either and it makes a much bigger difference than most people realise. Get yourself some ACF50 to protect parts you can't underseal, every little helps :)
Good point actually, the weather here is dross and Sea air probably isn't helping either.