DC5 Starter motor cleaning removal

OldOllie94

Hi folks

I've had my 2002 DC5 for about 4 months and have just noticed a cranking sound on morning starts. I've basically found that the starter motor needs a clean and just wanted to ask if it's possible to remove the starter motor without removing the manifold?
If anyone knows of a way I'd be grateful.
Thanks

VtecPaul

Advanced Member
Likely the Honda starter motor “sneeze”.
Not sure I can help you with your question, but thought I’d add that in case it helped your google / forum research.

JordanSuth

Advanced Member
I believe the issue is that the starter motor fails to disengage quickly enough after the engine starts up. Nearly every DC5 will encounter this (mostly in colder weather). People have put new ones in and it's returned within a few years. It's the "K20 sneeze". Nothing to worry about.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

DE4NO

So no risk of damaging the flywheel from a not fully functional starter motor?
If it’s the common sneeze issue its just the starter motor staying engaged for a second after the cars started. The majority of K20 engine cars do it when it’s cold particularly on the first start of the day.

Back in the day Honda replaced some starter motors under warranty until they realised how widespread the issue was, and just released a bulletin basically saying it’s nothing to worry about.

OldOllie94

If it’s the common sneeze issue its just the starter motor staying engaged for a second after the cars started. The majority of K20 engine cars do it when it’s cold particularly on the first start of the day.

Back in the day Honda replaced some starter motors under warranty until they realised how widespread the issue was, and just released a bulletin basically saying it’s nothing to worry about.
I do have a video of the sound but unfortunately I don't think I can post it here.

Thank you though for the information. Hopefully that's all it is and will save me a bunch of time