DC5 to Evo??

Sylar122

Advanced Member
Hey guys!

Just wanted to get opinions of others as I know there's a fair few that have gone to evo's who are dc5 owners and some that have come back to the Teg!

Really strongly debating an VIII MR or possibly a IX MR I'm expecting some biased opinions! But would like to hear people's experiences. And why some may have come back to a DC5.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Don't know too much about them bar that servicing costs will cost you a bomb.

Hope you've got deep pockets lol!

donzooo

Advanced Member
Running / Servicing costs are huge.

Echo what crazylegs said about deep pockets.

p1tse

Advanced Member
What's in the servicing and running costs that make is so much?

I like them myself
I still want to tick off a Japanese turbo car :)

dotty

Advanced Member
Years ago when I had an EP3 I wanted a blobeye STi with PPP, I drove one and was impressed with it but the Evo's are superior to STi's and many impreza converts will tell you the same. So I went and drove an Evo 6 and bought one. I do like an Evo but Honda is where my heart is, though in years to come I would probably have an Evo X -low mileage SST Model that has had all the issues ironed out as I like the idea of a semi auto performance car (showing my age ?)

That being said you can pick up blobeye STi's for 7k now and that's a lot of car for the money.

Edit. Just found a post I made about an Evo X, not an 8MR or 9 but it may help.

So another car on my short-list, unexpectedly however was an Evo X, now I have read up on these over the last couple of days and have concluded that the model I would most likely be interested in is the 330SST.

So I looked online and found one 20 minutes away..

It was advertised as a 300 SST but is in fact a 330 SST, so I popped along.

First impression were " I love the blue!

I got given the keys and took it out..

Initial thoughts when I sat in it were " is this an Evo" having owned a VI in the past it was obvious this car was designed with a bit of comfort in mind. Buttons everywhere, little cubby holes etc

Lovely Recaro seats, I turn the ignition..it sounds nice no noise but some flashing lights and initially confusing display panels, but after having a fiddle around it was all plain sailing, the GSRs also comes with a decent head unit, Rockford fosgate sub is standard and a very good (from what I read) sat nav system, climate control etc etc, the boot space was not great but it was good enough. Adequate space in the rear for passengers, not that I tend to carry many.

On to the g/box, the three modes you can select are Normal, Sport and Super Sport. The harder you drive, the further up the sport ladder you'll want it
- DSG will change up for you, even in manual mode, if you are near the red line. SST doesn't. It will only change to prevent the engine stalling and, in Super Sport mode especially, the changes are almost violently aggressive. Obviously I selected S-Sport.

So I went out, I let the car warm up, whilst doing so I listened out for knocks etc as you do, nothing could be heard, the car was comfy and not bouncing around too much?"! Is this definitely an Evo?

Once the car got warmed up, I decided to see what all the fuss was about, I chose a suitable road for this, a combo of dually's, normal b-roads and back lane twisties!, on to the dual carriage way off a roundabout, I planted the loud pedal first thoughts were "Holy F*ck".. no lift off on the throttle, flapped the paddle straight in to 3rd, and it is flying.. REALLY flying
I gave the anchors a test from there and it stopped in quick time! Brembo brakes btw.

I then gave the car a launch, no slip, no slides just brutal power.. Incredible! On to the back lanes, this is where I thought I may need to air a bit of caution.. Naaah let's go for it, see what is can do? it manoeuvred the bends magnificently, gave me plenty of confidence even though I was new to this paddle shift system, a quick down change and away you go, relentless car but with comfort to go with it.. It is worth noting there is no cabin intrusion, even though this model has the HKS system it is not intrusive at all, in fact I had to put the window down to hear it properly. The roads were a touch greasy but I still felt happy in making progress where safe to do so..

So true to Evo form this greeted me: which cut short my test drive, by all accounts the car was only just above the E marker when I took it out, and I had been in S-sport mode.

I popped the box across in to "D" auto mode and pottered back, I let the turbo cool down, then had a look at my MPG.

That is the only negative point with these cars, the MPG when pressing the loud pedal - The smile on my face kinda made me forget about that though!

ok for me to own a car like this. I also like the fact it has an auto function for when you are on a long journey or just need to potter about in town. I know in the evo world a lot of people have said that this is not a true Evo, this that and the other, but it is definitely a nice place to be! Having said that, and as I have said before there is something special about the Type R marque to me, as I drove home I gave the Teg a good hiding and it still brings a smile to my face.

kneedowndean

Advanced Member
Thanks for the write up dotty. Fancy one of these myself one day. Being four door I should be able to persuade the wife its a good replacement for the family Mondeo!

Krys23

looks alot more aggressive than my dc5 , wider arches , sounds better , faster , 4wd ,

only downside is ayc needs rebuilding and servicing every 2,000 miles iirc

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
Good write up above.

I'm really drooling over the Red Evo 6 TME Torque GT have just advertised. It looked immense and it pretty much guaranteed not to loose money. I'd love to own one, but the costs scare me, the general consensus seems to be every bill will basically be 4 figures.

CaLi

Vtec Yoooooooo

Stewlark

Advanced Member
The evo has been one of my dreams cars from when I was a wee nipper, but they have scarred me for life...
I bought a IX fq 320 from a garage a 100 mile away. Went to view it and drive it and placed a deposit on it. Went to collect a week later. With the mileage on it it was due can belt change soon so went and did that at a main dealer. Approx £700 with the service as well. But while it was there they found summit more serious with it.
The transfer box was knackered and had been starved of oil, how much for a new transfer box..... Discounted price £7500. Obviously furious I called the garage I bought it from told him the problem and demanded a full refund. I said I lost complete faith in the car and them and it wasn't fit for purpose. He gave me a full refund plus the costs of the service and cambelt change.

Since then I have considered buying another but I am scared of it happening again.

Sorry to give you a negative opinion but I found out the hard way and wouldn't want anyone else caught out. If you are going looking for one try and listen out for a bearing noise on the test drive.

dotty

Advanced Member
From my calculations and ownership with both an Evo and a DC5, the maths add up to the Evo costing double what the DC5 does, that's factoring in fuel (the biggest killer) tyres , and general consumables. You can get really unlucky and have to replace Ayc's then the bills start piling up.

I wouldn't have an Evo as a daily driver, weekend warrior then I would, but I've had one and back to the teg I came...

This is how mine ended up a week after it was sold on to a 21 year old.

dotty

Advanced Member
Stewlark said:
The evo has been one of my dreams cars from when I was a wee nipper, but they have scarred me for life...
I bought a IX fq 320 from a garage a 100 mile away. Went to view it and drive it and placed a deposit on it. Went to collect a week later. With the mileage on it it was due can belt change soon so went and did that at a main dealer. Approx £700 with the service as well. But while it was there they found summit more serious with it.
The transfer box was knackered and had been starved of oil, how much for a new transfer box..... Discounted price £7500. Obviously furious I called the garage I bought it from told him the problem and demanded a full refund. I said I lost complete faith in the car and them and it wasn't fit for purpose. He gave me a full refund plus the costs of the service and cambelt change.

Since then I have considered buying another but I am scared of it happening again.

Sorry to give you a negative opinion but I found out the hard way and wouldn't want anyone else caught out. If you are going looking for one try and listen out for a bearing noise on the test drive.
Day after I had mine i saw a leak from the rear diff area. Naturally petrified, I drove it a short distance to Norris designs, turned out the filler plug had worked its way loose... I got away with Evo ownership without incurring any major bills. Top mounts needed changing but other than that it was a good one , low mileage too (50k).

p1tse

Advanced Member
Ayc comes to mind but not sure what that is

That blue one is a good modern version not too ott

But with my last car mpg being 15 it made me cry filling it and took the enjoyment out somewhat

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
dotty said:
From my calculations and ownership with both an Evo and a DC5, the maths add up to the Evo costing double what the DC5 does, that's factoring in fuel (the biggest killer) tyres , and general consumables. You can get really unlucky and have to replace Ayc's then the bills start piling up.

I wouldn't have an Evo as a daily driver, weekend warrior then I would, but I've had one and back to the teg I came...

This is how mine ended up a week after it was sold on to a 21 year old.

Jesus Christ!!

I don't think these young lads quite understand just how powerful these cars are.

A similar thing happened when I sold my 205 GTI, 2 weeks later the twonk that bought it had rolled it. Loved that car as well, stunning it was. :(

What a plank.

dotty

Advanced Member
It was his second ever car. His first one was a 106xsi or something. I did offer friendly advice telling him to go easy with it but it clearly fell on deaf ears.

dotty

Advanced Member
Ckh on here had a white JDM 8MR and he didn't really get on with it, I'm sure he will tell you he prefers his Honda's.

jrscho

Advanced Member
I was in the same position last year, wanted to sell and get an evo 8/9. But had stupid offers and people messing so I gave up selling it and kept the 5, but I'm glad I did as I'm enjoying driving it and buying new car parts lately is making me enjoy it more! Nevertheless my next car will be an evo whenever the time comes! My dad use to have an evo 8 mr fq340 and I've wanted one ever since!

And to be fair, I don't think you can really compare running costs between an evo and a standard dc5.. Both completely different cars! But if you have a highly modded dc5 running costs aren't that much far apart! Main worry about buying an evo for me was the engine, as they're prone to blowing..