DC5 V's S2000

matt b

Advanced Member
bazza said:
As people have stated in previous posts, the S2000 takes time to master and the DC5 considerably less.

SO SO TRUE!

The average driver would find it very hard to extract the best from the S but the DC5 isnt too hard to drive fast once you are used to driving Vtecs!

mattyper

im fortunate enough to have owned an EP3 civic type R, an 00 S2000 and a DC2 integra type R and can say that while all three share the same DNA as far as honda's racing car for the road philosophy is concerned, all three deliver very different thrills in a very different package.

The "best" of the 3 though....hmmm. Speak to the guys at EVO magazine and they would say the DC2. They wouldnt be far wrong, its an excellent car, so utterly involving and addictive and very much the epitome of VTEC. On the right road at the right time, it was sublime, but i have no doubt, too raw for some to palate. (not for me though!)

The civic, ahhh, the civic! When you have driven the DC2 only then do you appreciate how civilised the civic is, thats all i can say! Plus how far the powerplant has come since the b series engines of old. The civic was a gem- grippy, grunty, economic (relatively!) and a great all rounder. You could pick your nan up in it, drop her off at the shops and then hoon round the block and come back with a massive grin on your face. If im honest, I do miss the civic for this all round appeal and I would love another one so i can do some mods to it and really turn it into a proper race car for the road.

But what of the S2000? Well, its a sports car. Thats it. I had THE best 9 months with it last spring/summer and I have days when I wish I wouldnt have had to sell it. For a sports car, it was pretty practical and economical and IMO, as a sports car, it was fantastic. Never have I owned a car that I just took out for a drive "because i felt like it"- the S2000 did this to me. The noise was spine tingling, it really was. Tunnels were to be approaced with caution unless you had a tissue or two in the glove box...and to me, the best moments were driving after dark, the roof down, xenons piercing the darkness and the engine screaming at 9000rpm like a possessed demon. Moments like that really are few and far between.

So really, none of them are better than the other- they just give you the same thrills in a different package. If you need the practicality, get the civic. If you want raw, undilluted thrills, get a DC2 and if you can say bugger it to needing to carry more than one passenger and want VTEC thrills with a RWD slant, get the S2000 (and its PROPER RWD, none of this namby pamby TCS controlled shite..)

Or, if you want the best of all worlds, get a DC5 :wink: cos I tell you something, ive had the other three and sure as eggs is eggs, i'll be getting a DC5.

I love VTEC! (Just dont tell the guys on the GT4 forum- they'll flame me!)

Matt

dan the man

Advanced Member
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

godam post of the year for me.

UNBIASED. A WONDERFULL view on each car and how its great.

The DC5 i suspect is in between them all, more refined than a DC2 yet more focussed than a CTR.

I really want an S2K now and i think im gona get one for the summer 8)

matt b

Advanced Member
dan the man said:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

godam post of the year for me.

UNBIASED. A WONDERFULL view on each car and how its great.

The DC5 i suspect is in between them all, more refined than a DC2 yet more focussed than a CTR.

I really want an S2K now and i think im gona get one for the summer 8)
do it and make is yellow like Si's :p

dan the man

Advanced Member
gona be an older one im afraid.. ill see hwat the DC5 goes for and see what i want to spend. need to research the model changes etc..

matt b

Advanced Member
dan the man said:
gona be an older one im afraid.. ill see hwat the DC5 goes for and see what i want to spend. need to research the model changes etc..
I had the mad and bad one, Gen 1 Late 2001, the most hardcore :lol: but others will disagree....... :wink:

matt b

Advanced Member
dan the man said:
so how many gens 3?
Yep 3 8)

From what I remember.....

Gen 1.
Plastic rear screen, wheels that blister lol & hardcore suspention that can be a bit lairy :lol:

Gen 2.
Softer suspention(think it was a damper change) and less aggressive vtec kick, glass rear window and new wheels but still 16s and maybe a clock added?

Gen 3.
Different front bumper, oval pipes and 17in wheels maybe suspention changed again :?

Iv been outa the S2k game for a while so im sure someone a little more up to date may correct me on a few!

Evs

Advanced Member
There's also an 06- spec one with different wheels (still 17s) and traction control etc. Probably not what Dan is going to be looking for but thought I'd mention it anyway :)

matt b

Advanced Member
Evs said:
There's also an 06- spec one with different wheels (still 17s) and traction control etc. Probably not what Dan is going to be looking for but thought I'd mention it anyway :)
See there we go :lol: even missed out a new one!

Cheers Evs

Evs

Advanced Member
:lol: 8)

Tbh if you're serious Dan have a trawl on s2ki as there's loads of info on there.

Rob-DC2

Advanced Member
As Evs Says the S2k forum is excellent,

I have a 2004 Spec (Gen 3) i think is looks abit nicer with the oval tailpipes etc,

Thinking of getting the wheels sprayed dark grey,

Rob

Evs

Advanced Member
I think the 17s look a lot nicer than the 16s on the earlier cars, they would look mint in grey on a black one - do it and post some pics! 8)

Have you really got a GruppeM and HKS on your skip, or do you need to update your sig...? :wink: :lol:

Rob-DC2

Advanced Member
haha it my old sig :oops:

I am going to K&N to have my car on the rolling road then they are fitting this -

Then another go on the rolling road, then i get to drive home with it on all for free.

Gen 2 kit they just need to tst it on a car here then they can sell it.

It is enclosed when the bonnet is shut so shouldnt be much heat soak, cant moan for free anyway.

Rob

dan the man

Advanced Member
induction roar be ace on that :p

And its GEN 2 upwards methinks as i want a glass rear screen..

anyone know starting prices off top of their head. thanks for advice guys 8)

Rob-DC2

Advanced Member
Yeh looking forward to the sound,

The S2000 is good as you can do the same trick as DC2 and remove the top of the airbox :lol:

dan the man

Advanced Member
cheers pal. With looks of it ill be getting a GEN 1 as wana get some money back for the teg. Ill start looking and see how much Gen 2s start at.. but i know gen 1 wheels and gen3 wheels..what are gen 2 wheels? :?

Rob-DC2

Advanced Member
The same as Gen 1 wheels i think the main diffrence from 1 and 2 are the Glass rear screen and slight interior changes,

To be honest you should be able to get a good gen 2 for around 13k,

dan the man

Advanced Member
13ks about my DC5..if that :| :|

Ill just have to ask wether glass rear or not. hmm.. maybe Gen 1 aint that bad tho eh :?: