DC5 V's S2000

Evs

Advanced Member
You really should have a look on s2ki mate

I'm going to break my own rules and spout secondhand info now. According to many people the first iteration was the rawest, and although there were desirable features added later (glass r/screen, 17s etc) a lot of people would say they're the best. Trouble is they're knocking on a bit now and things like suspension bushes will be starting to go soft with age. Last time I looked on s2ki replacements weren't available without buying the arms, and a few of the guys were trying to get Honda to sort this out, and/or approaching aftermarket guys for poly bushes.

It's something to think about as if I were buying a 6-7 year old car like that it would be one of the first things I'd look at for replacement. Don't take this as gospel though - go to the source for the latest.

HTH?

dan the man

Advanced Member
cheers Evs. And cars may be old but depends on milage and usage surely.

And what Year does the GEN 2 start at :?: :? Know its a hard one but looking on piston heads and some cars for the money. what year did skips come out?

Rob-DC2

Advanced Member
Think Gen2 started from 02,

I got mine from Pistonheads was abit of a bargain ;) se eif you can find it.

The previous owner has logged the mileage and everytime he put petrol in the car, also has a laser jammer not sure if it works yet :S

Evs

Advanced Member
Agree re miles and use mate, I was just flagging it up as a possible issue :idea: :|

I think they came out in late 99? Not sure tbh :?

Gen 2 was 02- I think?

I'm just guessing tbh - off you go! :xwavey: :idea: :lol:

matt b

Advanced Member
Gen 2 started on a 51 plate fella as mine was a very late Y and missed Gen 2 by a month 8)

Neil_H

Advanced Member
I had a gen2 (2002 model) - the wheels have a slightly nicer finish on them, they're diamond cut I think. If you look at them side by side you'll see what I mean. The 2004+ wheels are much nicer being 17s though.

One benefit of the gen2 onwards is the glass screen on the roof, the plastic one tends to crack or become opaque with age.

Gen1 = 99-01
Gen2 = 02-03 (wheels,tweeters,suspension,glass screen,new colours)
Gen3 = 04-05 (wheels,F&R bumpers,different headlights,LED rear lights,interior cosmetics)
Gen4 = 06+ (drive-by-wire,TC optional,different leather,more interior changes)

mattyper

Hope my "unbiased" review hasnt resulted in me moving you away from the DC5 fold Dan- the guys on here will flame me! lol!

Seriously though, the S2000 is a top car and I wouldnt hesitate but reccomend one to you, esp now summer is on its way!

I had a gen 1 S2000, it was on a "w" reg. I didnt drive any others so cant comment if they are any better or worse but mine was certainly "entertaining" shall we say! I would never say it was twitchy as when you buy a rwd sports car, you should expect (and respect) it and you need to develop your driving style accordingly- do this and you'll discover a whole new driving world!

I picked mine up for just over 12grand (last april) and it had 23k miles on and was in stunning condition- even the laquer on the wheels was perfect. The suspension bushes were fine on mine although one thing to bear in mind is the clutch on the early models was "noisy"- although i dont think this was a detriment to performance, just a PITA!

At the end of the day though its a honda, and every one of mine has been bulletproof so i wouldnt hesitate again to buy an early model. As has been said, s2ki is a great source of info too.

Happy hunting, if you need any more info on them, gimme a shout!

Matt