DC5R vs Subaru STI

naz_dc

My mate was on a track side by side with an STI (97 model). They both started at 50mph and went on to 100mph+ and he says the STI couldn't pull away. I don't believe him because am sure an STI is quicker both cars were stock though! Has anyone witnessed this before? :roll:

dan the man

Advanced Member
yes many times. my friend had an sti 05. nothing in it both standard.

when are people gona relaise a turbo aint neccassarily faster. :roll:

timp

Advanced Member
dan the man said:
yes many times. my friend had an sti 05. nothing in it both standard.

when are people gona relaise a turbo aint neccassarily faster. :roll:
on a roll i agree. But froma standstill the 4wd is gonna help alot and the extra torque is gonna be something to recon with right?

And the right size turbo is gonna let you get the torque down earlier.

Had a bit of a blat with an old wrx when i had the DC2, i would say pretty much nothing in it, we both pulled into the pub in donington (where i live) and he had a look on his face that said it all.

That said i have a Merc Vito van and it will waste most boy racers at the lights till 30 mph. Now thats funny :D

personally i hate scooby's there are just too many of them, they are quick thou

naz_dc

well am happy to hear that. But many people keep telling me turbo's are way faster. i know they are faster 0-60 but i was hoping that the v-tech keeps up!!! :) have you been up against any other cars?

timp

Advanced Member
Mate its too big a question, what is the power of the car bhp and torque and what is the weight of the car etc etc etc all has to be taken into the equasion

naz_dc

i was just asking in general. such as a e.g. celica gt-four stock am sure many of you put your DC5R to the test :?:

Lianne_dc5

well my DC5 keeps up with my 2 friends one owns an evo5 and other owns and evo 8 fq320 mr... both running 340bhp.

they get a way better start that me with 4WD and stuff but as the v tec kicks in they cant get away... embarrassing for them!

i am part of a local jap club and we are over run with skylines, pulsars and evo's and we all go for regular "spirited" drives and my little dc5 keeps up with the best of them.

suprises most... and on roundabouts they have no chance... all this drifting rubbish :p

not had much going on with scobby's except a 400bhp one round where i live and i have not a chance against that!!

paul671

naz_dc said:
i was just asking in general. such as a e.g. celica gt-four stock am sure many of you put your DC5R to the test :?:
My previous car was an ST205 GT4, spent plenty of cash on it, near on 20k.
I certainly miss the torque, and the phenominal grip. But when properly wrung out I cant see that it would totally embarass my DC5. Infact I have friends who are convinced my DC5 is quicker than my GT4, in the dry at least.
IMO comparing cars's on paper stats is pointless, a well driven DC5 has the potential to put many supposedly faster cars to shame.

Just my 2p though.

Lianne_dc5

glad i could help...

my dc5 aint standard it has full exhaust system, spoon manifold and decat, aem v2. not excessive...

drivebymonkey

Advanced Member
my mate has an N reg STI which is about 280bhp, my car is standard and from a rolling start there is nothing in it.

from a standstill he pulls away but i catch up on the first corner!!

:lol: :lol:

timp

Advanced Member
paul671 said:
naz_dc said:
My previous car was an ST205 GT4, spent plenty of cash on it, near on 20k.
I certainly miss the torque, and the phenominal grip. But when properly wrung out I cant see that it would totally embarass my DC5. Infact I have friends who are convinced my DC5 is quicker than my GT4, in the dry at least.
IMO comparing cars's on paper stats is pointless, a well driven DC5 has the potential to put many supposedly faster cars to shame.

Just my 2p though.
Of course you are right but................

I think we have to assume that both the cars have very good drivers overwise its not worth comparing the cars at all.

My van will wipe the floor of a Ferrari driven by simon hawkins, given that we have two competent drivers then you have to look at power, grip and weight amongst over specs

naz_dc

Thank you all for your reply's. Anything else you want to add i will appreciate.
:wink:

I will be happy to hear as much info as possible because i will be buying a DC5R soon. i hope its worth the wait specially after driving a VW polo for 3 years :!: lol

Zero7

Advanced Member
To me, it's all about the sense of occasion with these cars, not outright speed, I've had a 1999 Sti Type RA V-Ltd and whilst it was fast as hell, it left me rather cold, can't say the same about the Teg.

tara

Advanced Member
Zero7 said:
To me, it's all about the sense of occasion with these cars, not outright speed, I've had a 1999 Sti Type RA V-Ltd and whilst it was fast as hell, it left me rather cold, can't say the same about the Teg.

Spot on :wink:

Zero7

Advanced Member
timp said:
well said mate and thats the most important thing right :D
Most certainly, however it does help to have a few more ponnies under the bonnet.... :lol:

naz_dc

another thing to add is my friend is going to sell me his black DC5R with red interior c-pack. 51 plate with 44k on the clock excellent condition and its stock for 9k and he wants my polo on top which is worth around 500 pound. this transaction will take place in October sometime. I think thats more then a deal so i hope to pull it off!!!

whats everyones views on the deal? :) :D