Deciding on springs

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
All the other cars on this thread are on Spoons too. Very strange with Robs as you say. EP3 and not DC5 maybe?

James-T

Advanced Member
Yeah I seem to remember him saying something about the box having EP3 on them....I'm sure he will confirm.

Rom

Advanced Member
I cant confirm for Spoon, as mine were used.
But Eibach list the same springs for DC5 and EP3. Mine had EP3 on the box.

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Chris, the spoons fit both dc5/ ep3, but I think there is a difference with model specific.? I'm sure Burn can confirm, So that could explain unexpected reverse rake. That pictured is even worse than the eibach haha

dave7368

Advanced Member
Jimmer said:
Chris, the spoons fit both dc5/ ep3, but I think there is a difference with model specific.? I'm sure Burn can confirm, So that could explain unexpected reverse rake. That pictured is even worse than the eibach haha
he might have had a load of shopping in the back! ha

mickyboy22

Did you make a decision in the end Rob? As im tempted to switch from meisterr coilovers to springs as the roads around me are poop...

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Jimmer said:
Was going to say.

I've got Eibach Pro and mine aren't even that bad and that's with reverse rake ha ha!

Spoon_Sports_Europe

Parts Trader
Hello, missed this thread!

The Spoon Springs for the DC5 and the EP3 are very different.

Spring Rate F / R (std) in kg/mm - Drop -##mm

DC5 PFL - 51400-DC5-001
7.4 (2.8-4.6)/ 8.2 (3.0-8.0) -25mm (the standard springs were very inconsistent in testing)

DC5 FL - 51400-DC5-011
7.4 (2.8-4.6)/ 8.2 (3.0-8.0) -25mm

EP3 - 51400-EP3-001
6.3 (6.2)/ 3.9 (2.8) -40mm

The EP springs will fit the DC5 but the result to the handling will be undesirable. This shows the difference between a Company that supplies springs and a company that make parts for one make of car like Spoon. Spoon rigorously test the products to find the best specification for that vehicle. Hence the reason for such large differences in spec's of for the EP and DC5 springs.

James-T

Advanced Member
It was also Spoon who said you should never lower a DC5 or EP3...!

I do love Spoon but their contradiction confuses me - I hope it's not just a money maker for them.

Spoon_Sports_Europe

Parts Trader
James T said:
It was also Spoon who said you should never lower a DC5 or EP3...!

I do love Spoon but their contradiction confuses me - I hope it's not just a money maker for them.
Cant say I have ever heard that one before.

Well I have, but I think Ichi's word get a little lost in translation.

Spoon_Sports_Europe

Parts Trader
James T said:
Like I said a little lost in translation.

Spoon cancelled the development process on the coil-over kit due to the complications with the DC5's Geo when lowering. They didn't cancel the development of the springs. This was because the design of the DC5's suspension favours the stock ride height and the use of the suspension stroke to handle well on stock tyres. The chassis is stiff so a stock suspension can be enjoyed.

Look at all the Spoon built cars. They are all low and that because they carried out large amounts of additional modifications to the suspension to compensate for the odd design. The subtle drop of the springs is not enough to run in to the issues referred to.

James-T

Advanced Member
Thanks for that, always wanted that clarified.

Always bugged me when he said never lower it, then you see their race cars slammed.

paul hughes

LMAO...... spoon only ever won in Asia when Buddyclub were not in the race. To my knowledge They never graced the UK with their presence on a race track at all...

Nothing wrong with lowering DC5s, just spoon who don't make the other relevant parts.

Cars are still winning today all over the world using Buddyclub parts. and with actual advice direct from the drivers in whichever continent you reside.

Roll that up in yer splif spoon !!

So to Summarise,,, looking at pictures of race cars on the internet and guessing, isn't a good idea :(

Speaking to a race engineer or even driver who speaks your native tongue , IS a good idea. :)

Call SPD, or Buddyclub or TGM, or Dynamics, all these companies have successfully raced or modified DC5s and won at high level in the UK.

ND1989

Sorry to hijack the thread, but is there anywhere I can get spoon springs for a facelift DC5? I am really struggling for options with it at the moment.