Do you think a DC5 is TOO easy to drive on the limit?

ejwillistyles

Advanced Member
A random question but I was just looking back at some vids and pics of my old car and made me think....would I buy another DC5?

Thing is I felt I had a handle on most of the bits the car was capable of (within reason) and perhaps thats why I sold up and moved on.........if I went back the question is would I miss the challenge of RWD/different weight bias etc etc?? It strikes me having driven a fair few more powerful cars over the years, some at the same time as owning the DC5 that I would often be able to drive on or over the limit in the DC5, and perhaps drive faster because of that...

Anyone else gone back? Thoughts?

kingston

Advanced Member
Unless your a champion/full time racer setting/breaking lap records set by others, i doubt youd ever drive the Teg to its limit all the time. If you have, best you get knocking on Hondas door (or any other manufacturers that makes performance cars as youd be invaluable).

If you drove faster than what you thought was the limit of the DC5 (after driving something else), then you never reached the full potential of a car otherwise youd never have been able to drive it quicker.

Maybe you reached your potential in it and not the other way around?

eXceed

Resident Driver
Unless your a champion/full time racer setting/breaking lap records set by others, i doubt youd ever drive the Teg to its limit all the time. If you have, best you get knocking on Hondas door (or any other manufacturers that makes performance cars as youd be invaluable).

If you drove faster than what you thought was the limit of the DC5 (after driving something else), then you never reached the full potential of a car otherwise youd never have been able to drive it quicker.

Running some R888's on mine at the moment and jeezus christ I can't believe how good they are!! Absolutely mental traction (and I'm still only driving to about 80% - it is my daily after all). But you can just give them soo much abuse and they keep gripping. Only problem is tires have been on since Sunday and they aren't going to live out the end of this week :lol:

EDIT - so what I'm trying to say is that you have been nowhere near the limits if my experience is anything to go by. You'd be doing some VERY illegal speeds for sure :eek:

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt

Exactly my thoughts! 8)

dotty

Advanced Member
I tend to push mine on roads I know. Even on foreign grounds though the DC5 is excellent, a classic exampe would be the Ring, I am by no means a track god but the car inspired so much confidence whilst sweeping through some of the bends there.

firthy22

Advanced Member
The problem with driving to the limit, is that you don't realise that you've reached the limit until it's too late ;)

kingston

Advanced Member
Why is it that when i type my responses, it makes sense and only after reading it back once its been posted, its a load of gobble-de-kook.

Though it seems Porthos understands so it cant be that bad :-"

blueguy

Resident J's whore
Running some R888's on mine at the moment and jeezus christ I can't believe how good they are!! Absolutely mental traction (and I'm still only driving to about 80% - it is my daily after all). But you can just give them soo much abuse and they keep gripping. Only problem is tires have been on since Sunday and they aren't going to live out the end of this week :lol:

EDIT - so what I'm trying to say is that you have been nowhere near the limits if my experience is anything to go by. You'd be doing some VERY illegal speeds for sure :eek:
I believe he's talking about on track mate.

Re: R888
You can go to the back of the Japfest convoy with those on. I don't want to be bombarded with stones following you!

eXceed

Resident Driver
I believe he's talking about on track mate.

Re: R888
You can go to the back of the Japfest convoy with those on. I don't want to be bombarded with stones following you!
I'll be waaaaaay up front :lol:, you weren't wrong about stones though man. CLANG CLANG SMASH over any stones. Can carry soo mcuh speed with these tires, I'm in love. Although got some RS-R's on their way for Japfest so you should be fine lool.

Hoti

Advanced Member
R888's yum - had some on my civic! Assuming you have other tires for everyday use? :)

tron2k3

Advanced Member
A random question but I was just looking back at some vids and pics of my old car and made me think....would I buy another DC5?

Thing is I felt I had a handle on most of the bits the car was capable of (within reason) and perhaps thats why I sold up and moved on.........if I went back the question is would I miss the challenge of RWD/different weight bias etc etc?? It strikes me having driven a fair few more powerful cars over the years, some at the same time as owning the DC5 that I would often be able to drive on or over the limit in the DC5, and perhaps drive faster because of that...

Anyone else gone back? Thoughts?
I would agree with you Ed.

I used to find the DC5 very easy to drive quickly on track. We are not necessarily talking about the limits of the DC5 but a comparison of yourself driving a more powerful car weather it be FF, RWD or 4WD. I used to feel that I was getting the maximum out of the car (skill permitting), on track and that you felt you were pushing it to the limit, using all the power, braking at the right time, able to pick your turn in point, apex and exits.

I think the reason for it is that the DC5 was built for the track, it's light weight has just the right amount of power to give you a good balance, turn in is sharp and there is minimal roll through the corners, and benefits from smooth driving.

As you know I now drive an Evo, which everyone says is easy to drive fast, which is true on the road, but to drive it on the limit is a totally different ball game, I've had to totally change my driving style on track and tbh they aren't great on track compared to the DC5 or the FD2 In the Evo you have to tweak the suspension a fair bit to make it work on track and the biggest issues are body roll and brakes. The Evo is certainly quicker on a lap but would say the DC5 and FD2 are still better track cars the fact they are much more flowing cars both in the corners and power delivery, while with Evo you have to take it by the scruff of the neck brake late to get the back end round then power out to straighten it up, which isn't what track driving is about imo.

sinbad

Advanced Member
The DC5 isnt thought of as a good handling car becasue its easy to drive on the limit. Thats exactly what Honda or any manufacturer would want. Thats why the DC2 excelled. Most poeple can drive upto and on the limit which makes it such a fun car, particulary for everyday use. The main difference is that its FWD, so unlike rwd you can make use of its balance and power on almost every journey. With rwd it takes more driver skill to get it right, and when you do it feels good but if you dont it an end in a big way, So i think its more risky and can therefore seem more fun. But to get the most out of a 220bp+ rwd car which is used every day it has to be either.......... a) dry, B) the weekend, or c) on track alot.
4wd cars are just as easy to drive too but whether its rwd, 4wd or fwd they all require a diffrent style of driving, so this really depends on the driver on which they prefer.
Being able to drive the car easily on the limit is what makes the DC5 such a great tool on track, it shows most other 4wd and rwd cars its heels.

kingston

Advanced Member
But how do you determine the difference between mechanical limit to drivers limit? As im sure if you went out and set a lap in your car and then gave it to a pro racing driver at the top of the tree, im sure theyd set a faster lap.

The track is the only place youd be able to find the limit as on road, theres too many other variables to consider and would stop you doing so (unless you had a death wish....)

ejwillistyles

Advanced Member
Interesting points above, and yer I guess driver skill always comes into it.

Have ot point out I was by no means willy waving driving skills just wanted opinions on the topic. But and this is a big but, yes you could possibly go faster with more time , better driver etc, but would going that bit faster be more enjoyable than before in DC5?

I'm not sure, and again I'm not sure if driving a trickier car near the limit on track some of the time, is more rewarding than driving a DC5 near the limit most of the time. By this I mean looking back at some footage I can turn into most turns on track backing off the throttle to get the front of the DC5 turned in, the car feels alive, adn moves around a bit, picking up throttle early and using the diff. Looking at footage in my new motor, mid rear engine, unless really provoked its hard to get that sort of movement and adjustability unless you are more aggressive, and a LOT quicker.

paul 16v

Advanced Member
The roads round where i live(lake district)are great for good handling cars but i have to say on a 4mile twisty road near where i live the best handling car ive had along is a .......106 gti :shock: ive owned dc2's,impreza turbos,atr's and nothing beats the 106 for sheer fun!! anyone thats owned/driven a 106 gti will probably vouch for it!
weather its just because i am getting old and dont push cars as hard i dont know..

ab20000

Advanced Member
Wouldn't have a clue as I'm so far from the limit of a car it's just not something I can comment on, as Kingston says driver limit and mechanical limit are very different. When you are on track with experienced racers they are getting so much more out of their cars than you'd think possible and they are very average compared to the worlds best drivers.

Stylesa

Advanced Member
But how do you determine the difference between mechanical limit to drivers limit? As im sure if you went out and set a lap in your car and then gave it to a pro racing driver at the top of the tree, im sure theyd set a faster lap.

The track is the only place youd be able to find the limit as on road, theres too many other variables to consider and would stop you doing so (unless you had a death wish....)
Wise words. The difference between your average fast driver and a professional is huge. the smoothness of professional drivers is unparalled, their composed aggression is something that only comes with a lot of track time, talent, balls, and good coaching.

The roads round where i live(lake district)are great for good handling cars but i have to say on a 4mile twisty road near where i live the best handling car ive had along is a .......106 gti :shock: ive owned dc2's,impreza turbos,atr's and nothing beats the 106 for sheer fun!! anyone thats owned/driven a 106 gti will probably vouch for it!
weather its just because i am getting old and dont push cars as hard i dont know..
I would vouch for the 106, i spend a lot of time in my chums one, and it makes me smile every time.... they really are so fun!

firthy22

Advanced Member
I think the best term to describe a DC5 is "user friendly". I drive mine as a daily driver over the mountain road which is part of the TT Course and has no speed limit. So I get to have a nice blast when the weather is suitable :green:

It still requires a certain amount of driver skill to get the best out of it but the main point for me, is that the DC5 never throws up any surprises, the handling and performance is so consistent. No turbo cutting in or rear wheel drive to snap at you on corners, just smooth fast enjoyable driving.

A perfect fast road car. Probably a bit different on track but it all depends if you want smooth fast driving or something a bit more unpredictable and exciting. I used to do trackdays in my Prelude and I got more enjoyment from perfecting lines and being smooth than being right on the edge and almost losing it.