Do you wait for your engine to warm up?

Do you wait for the engine to warm?

• I wait for the water temperature needle to start moving above the min-marker

Votes: 15 17.4%
  • I let it idle for at least 1 minute

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I drive off right away but not over 3,000 RPM

Votes: 49 57.0%
  • I don't care :D

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 2.3%

• Total voters

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Chrismartin said:
Does he work for Ryanair or something haha.
Ha ha! Honestly now, never seen anyone di*k about and mess around so much in my life before driving off lol

MissMyDC2

Advanced Member
10 seconds or so for the fuel pump to stop. Start her up and wait for maybe 30 seconds or so for my phone screen to pop up on the head until then easy driving till the needle gets to optimum warm. Then more often than not the easy driving carries on until i turn it off again. Very occasionally its the weekend, i have a few quid in fuel spare, I dont have the missus and the boy in the car and I find a dry twisty road :xaiweb2:

My poor old car sometimes forgets it has more than one cam.

Rom

Advanced Member
I went for the drive straight off, though i dont keep it under 3k, more like 4k (vtec is 4.2)

My exhaust is too loud to sit around haha.

As long as you arent going nuts, you wont hurt anything. Internally, the engine heats up pretty quick, the coolant takes longer. Fire is fire, be it 30 secs after start, or 30 mins, the combustion temps will be similar. Obviously oil takes time too, but is still circulating well, thats why it has a lower viscosity rating when cold.

zacho

Advanced Member
Drive right away, gradually increasing throttle load and revs as i go. Start off at 3k for a couple of miles with the heater on low.. i think that provides the right balance! I used to drive religously to 2.5k until warm when i had my dc2's but decided it didnt make sense, just prolongs the period of time the oil isn't at optimum operating temp, which is a while after coolant reaches temp

hondazzz

Advanced Member
let it pass the min-marker and drive for a good distance at bellow of 2,5-3k rpm.
and also after it comes to the middle-market (lets say the normal) i still do not WOT it for some time..i wait to make sure OIL heats up also.

2ndy

Advanced Member
My 1.1 106 gets death from cold every time and it's still alive with 115k lol my DC5 and FN2 always sit running for a minute or 2 before driving. Usually cause I'm finishing my coffee

kyle'87

Advanced Member
My teg always ideals high when I start it up in the morning, I like to try and settle it down to 1500revs before I set off. Otherwise when I get to a junction and I'm not awake enough the car likes to speed up to match the revs.

Always taking it easy until 5/10 minutes into my journey, coming from a boosted car this is pretty natural after 5 years. Some people I know get in their cars and boot it from cold, makes me cringe every time.

Jinis dust

Advanced Member
I start mine as soon as I'm in it, faf about with the radio and getting comfy ( I hate things in my pockets when driving) start driving while leaving blowers on cold till temp gauge is at normal operating temp, being steady with the throttle and keeping it below 3kish. Once up to temp I'll leave it another 5-10 mins,
Then VTEC baby

Justin

TyperItr

Advanced Member
If i am in a rush i go after a minute. If not i even wait for my Oil temp gauge to heat up

ijlh

Advanced Member
Never, just drive easy until it's warmed up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sonny1

Advanced Member
I always let mine warm up for a good 5 mins. Usually up to near full temp by then.

SamDC5

Advanced Member
I usually drive off after a minute as I start the car, change my seating position, unfold my mirrors and sort my music out. Letting a car idle for too long does the bores no good. It's better to just start the car up wait a few seconds to get oil pressure and you can set off. A cold car driving below 3k is much more healthy than letting it idle to warm up.

MrRy

Advanced Member
Most engine wear happens when the car is cold - drive that thing as soon as you can! Roughly upto 4.5k is fine until the thermostat opens, then gradually increases it as the engine oil temps AND transmission warm up, it's not just engine temps you need to consider.

My car takes the following depending on the season as an example, this is also road speed dependant:

2 - 5 mins for thermostat to open
5 - 10 mins to water temp to be optimal
8 - 18 minutes for oil temp to be optimal

REMEMBER a car on 40,000 miles that's been started from cold many more times than one on 100,000 miles may have a worsened engine health, ESPECIALLY from those people letting it warm up before they drive it. I'd rather buy a car that's been driven long distances than one that's been used for a million 5 mile journeys.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
I always leave mine running a few mins (as I get everything setup) then drive not exceeding 3k normally until it's warmed up, but to be fair mine hadn't seen V-tec until the other day since May :-(

I have a reader by wifi connected my my stereo so I can see and hear the temps and it says when the engine's at optimal operating temp (this is not 100% at all times but gives me an idea when seeing the numbers before hearing the warning alert).

I also let mine cool down and the latter part of any journey is always under less load

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
Most engine wear happens when the car is cold. Leaving it running idle while it's cold just prolongs This, so just drive it sensibly till it's warm, which is 10 times faster if the car is moving.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk