Engine Bay Detailing

Mark_teg

Staff member
The timing chain is sealed from the environment (as well as lubricated with eng oil) so you'll be fine.

jono888

Advanced Member
My mate used the Auto Glym Engine and Machine Cleaner on his EK9.

He didn't take before and after photos though.

I'm going to give it a try when the Sun is out again (maybe next year) lol!

Josh16v

Advanced Member
I use autosmart finish. Once a week, just spray it over everything and wipe off. Dead easy!

ChesterJSY

Mine is lovely and clean ATM....

Meguiars Engine Cleaner and Dressing...
Looks awesome PORTHOS ! currently using Auto Glym products but may have to give this a go ! My neighbours laugh at me when i'm out cleaning my engine bay with a toothbrush lol

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
People will never believe this is an 10 year old car :xgrin:
God yeah, keep forgetting it's getting on now!!!

Looks awesome PORTHOS ! currently using Auto Glym products but may have to give this a go ! My neighbours laugh at me when i'm out cleaning my engine bay with a toothbrush lol
Ha ha, yeah, the trick with the Meguiars stuff is the Dressing, very very slippery shiny stuff! Makes a massive difference.

kas.366377

nice one jermal, great read up! sorry to be off topic a bit but Ive got that exact same strut brace on my dc5, do you know what make it is?! thanks

CJN

Advanced Member
I think i'll give this a go soon, looks easy enough.

Nice work guys.

trancem

Advanced Member
What you guys using to rinse off the foam? Pressure washer? Worried it's going to be too powerful and get water everywhere?

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Hey,

I bought some Chemical guys all clean citrus cleaner and had a go at the engine bay last weekend, the results weren't great and I hadn't come across this thread before doing it either.

I covered up the main electrical points with carrier bags which wasn't ideal and also didn't use a hose as I was scared the car wouldn't start or even worse catch fire. I don't want to flood the engine bay with excess water. I bought a large soft brush from B&Q for the larger parts and then used a small paintbrush for the more hard to reach parts and basically dipped in using a bucket of hot water instead of a hose every so often.

Now that I've seen which parts needed covering up I'm going to give it another blast at some point and hopefully should see better results. Will it be ok to use a hose to rinse the dirt off first and then again to rinse the cleaner off so long as I don't apply much pressure? Maybe set it to more of a light sprinkler setting rather than an all out hose?

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:
Hey,

I bought some Chemical guys all clean citrus cleaner and had a go at the engine bay last weekend, the results weren't great and I hadn't come across this thread before doing it either.

I covered up the main electrical points with carrier bags which wasn't ideal and also didn't use a hose as I was scared the car wouldn't start or even worse catch fire. I don't want to flood the engine bay with excess water. I bought a large soft brush from B&Q for the larger parts and then used a small paintbrush for the more hard to reach parts and basically dipped in using a bucket of hot water instead of a hose every so often.

Now that I've seen which parts needed covering up I'm going to give it another blast at some point and hopefully should see better results. Will it be ok to use a hose to rinse the dirt off first and then again to rinse the cleaner off so long as I don't apply much pressure? Maybe set it to more of a light sprinkler setting rather than an all out hose?
I use a hose on the engine bay all the time with no issues. Don't cover anything up and I'm not running an injector cover either.

As long as you don't go mad with it then you will be fine. A circular brush is best. Pastry ones are good. I use the autoglym engine degreaser. Very good stuff.

Rom

Advanced Member
I jet wash engines. Just don't go crazy on plugs and stuff. They all have waterproof seals on.
But waterproof and jet wash proof are not the same.

I use a toothbrush as it slides in small spaces. I do have other brushes when needed. But toothbrush is my go to tool.

I'm a fan of G101, and Megs APC.

But there's loads of stuff that will do the job