Engine Blown!

Neil_H

Advanced Member
I'm currently sitting with my girlfriend in Trowell services on the M1 after my engine decided to blow up while in lane 3. A huge bang, oil light on, an lots of oil and debris falling out my car :shock: Absolutely no doubt about it, the engine is destroyed. Now waiting for the AA to charge me about £400 to get home.

Had the car serviced just last week, it was one of the major services with spark plugs etc, so will be giving them a call on Tuesday.

Does anyone have any idea on what my options are on a replacement engine? Do second hand engines exist? I'm thinking a complete new rebuild is going to be 7 grand +?

Goes without saying that I am totally gutted :cry:

acepty

Advanced Member
Dam :(
that must be a nightmare... Did they mess with the timing chain on the service? Or perhaps valve clearance adjustment?
:?

turbo5

Advanced Member
sorry to hear about your bad news, You can get for engines for around £2k
If you have just had a service I would be having an independent garage look at it first, and see if the service was to blame, Was it a proper garage who did your service or some back street outfit ?

logik

Advanced Member
Sorry to hear that mate, but i would be thinking about the service last week. Who were they? Were they well know for working with Imports?

lockwood77

Advanced Member
Bugger mate. Interested to know who did the service!

Wish I'd read this a few hours ago, I'd have popped up to keep you company as I'm only 10 mins away (originally from Trowell!)

Neil_H

Advanced Member
Got home 20 mins ago, has cost me £405 via the AA (who were very good to be fair) to get home....

I don't want to name and shame just yet until I have spoken to them, but it was carried out by a Honda dealer, they did the previous service too. Mine was the first DC5 they had seen. I will be speaking to them on Tuesday of course, as it's surely no cnincidence for this to happen after the service. Spark plugs were definitely changed.

If anyone knows of an independent in the Kent/ SE London area please let me know!

I am absolutely dreading sorting this out.

MJ Type-R

Advanced member
This sounds like an oil issue tbh... if any of the other items mentioned above.. the car wouldn't have started / sounded strange before hand...

I would guess.... maybe you had a slight oil leak...

Not sure if your be able to trace the signs now though..

The Honda Dealer would have worked on EP3 engines before.. so I can't see if they done anything mechanical that would have caused this...

What I would suggest first, is to get the engine looked at by an independant engineer... your also then be able to tell if anything is usable etc...

Mike

Newty

Advanced Member
Bad news there.

Although you a dreading sorting it out, and I would be too, don't let anyone fob you off. I reckon if 'someone' is to blame, you are going to have to go a long stretch to prove it and get compensated.

Good luck!

premadonna555

Advanced Member
kingston said:
if your up for selling the old rocker cover, let me know
:shock: :lol: :shock: :lol: :shock: :lol:

I don't know whether to cry or laugh over that.

Are you the devil himself? :D

rick c

Advanced Member
I've been through the courts to resolve a similar situation. Its an absolute pain in the arse but if you're a fairly clever chap you can do it all yourself.

My main advice is EVIDENCE! Take pictures of everything, record times of everything... also you need to get that car towed to the garage ASAP and just dump it in their car park until this is resolved.

You need to get an independent inspection done of the car. Mine was about £150 and was all the evidence I needed in respect of the cause of the failure. I'm happy to give you the number of the guy I used though he's based in the midlands I'm sure he could travel down to you.

Ultimately the outcome of this is in your hands. If you really believe the garage is at fault and you play your cards right with respect to evidence etc then there's no reason you have to lose.

The small claims system is straightforward and as long as you represent yourself it only costs about £100 or thereabouts.

Of course the ideal scenario is that the garage offer to repair the car themselves free of charge, but I'd be very surprised if they do.

Best of luck mate. PM me if you need any advice.

Suped

Advanced Member
Ouch! Sorry to hear about this mate. Might be worth doing an insurance claim maybe? Best get it to TGM for Tom to take a peek.