Engine Blown!

roncee

Advanced Member
sorry to be thick guys, what is this over revving business about? i thought you were supposed to get near to 9k revs when making swift progress and if you overdid it then the limiter was there to stop any damage?

rick c

Advanced Member
The rev limiter cuts the fuel to stop the engine revving higher... but if you change down and engage a lower gear when the engine is already at 8000rpm the engine will effectively be doing well over 9k rpm and it'll overrev.

Most commonly occurs when people mistakenly change down instead of up... don't ask me apparently some people do it

ErA

rick c said:
The rev limiter cuts the fuel to stop the engine revving higher... but if you change down and engage a lower gear when the engine is already at 8000rpm the engine will effectively be doing well over 9k rpm and it'll overrev.

Most commonly occurs when people mistakenly change down instead of up... don't ask me apparently some people do it
yup. my Dad did it in mine when i let him drive it. 8k RPM in 5th then down into 4th... :lol:

private test track, etc.

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
Just read this thread and gutted for you.

Did you manage to get yourself sorted in the end and more importantly a better understanding on what failed that day??