acl thrust bearing
master seal kit
stem oil seal kit

any advice and comments welcome :D

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
are you staying N/A?
if you are i would use a Honda headgasket, and not bother with the blockguard, you will not have much of an rpm increase so it wont do much, personally i would use toda cams and bits as i think they will be better quality.

Chris-DC5

Advanced Member
As Simon said mate. The blockguars is only for forced induction really. Not seen the best results from sunk 2 products. Go with toda. Cheers.

parksy340

Advanced Member
Yeah I'm staying NA
Cheers for comments would the toda spec c cams be ok or a bit much
What's the difference in headgaskets?

VT-Doo

RushDoo
As mentioned, the block guard is not needed.
I use ACL Race Series Bearings when I can.
I've got a Cometic headgasket on my B18c and have had NO problems.
I like Skunk2's B-Series products, however I have no experience with them on the K-Series. www.K20.org would be your best bet.
Another thing to think about is the use of ARP bolts everywhere not just the head.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
nothing wrong with the cometic headgaskets and as an aftermarket part have a good reputation, I personally think the Honda quality is better, afterall how many dc5's/ep3's have you heard of with headgasket faliure?

you should also consider the s2000 type oil pump conversion

an uprated rad and oilcooler

if you were going FI then things would be different.

you might want to think about a fuel rail

VT-Doo

RushDoo
...and a FPR with gauge.

There's also no point doing all thins unless your brakes, suspension and engine mounts can't cope with the extra power.
Hondata K-Pro is a must...obviously!

What manifold & exhaust do you have?

parksy340

Advanced Member
Yeah forgot to add oil pump and skunk 2 composite fuel rail
Already got kpro , dc mani, kakimoto cat back and aem cai

Already got tein type flex coils and dixcell brake setup which is awesome

Is it worth changing the timing chain also

Kinli

Advanced Member
Toda heavy duty timing chain & hybrid racing timing chain tensioner is a good combo. The skunk2 tensioner seems to be a ok option too, although I would like to hear more long time reviews about it as IMO the basic tension is too stiff on the s2.

Kinli

Advanced Member
Forget the 74mm TB and get a 70mm TB or use the OEM one. You will get problems porting the RBC to 74mm anyway (unless you do some welding). 70mm is fine. The new hybrid racing TB is also a good option. I have a 70mm skunk2 and although it is one of the better products (qualitywise) from skunk2, it still had some problems. The butterfly gets stuck open after about 200km because of poor lubrication of the spring, the butterfly gets stuck closed after very hard driving (heat?) thus requiring a bit more force on the accelerator pedal to unstuck the butterfly. weird. The throttle cable holder is also wrong but thankfully the OEM one fits fine. Dunno if the HB is better, but I will sell my Skunk2 IM & TB and go for a different combo, probably (RBC / RRC) OEM.

Oh yeah, reuse the OEM TPS. Do NOT buy a aftermarket one, they are all bullsh!t. I killed two different aftermarket TPS's in 800km (and no, the OEM TPS is not sold separately).

If you stay NA, the Acura RDX injectors are probably the best choise (410cc, but a VERY good pattern).

Get the ERLs s2000 oil pump conversion if you are going to rev above 8800-9000rpm but bare in mind that the conversion kit might have some clearance issues with the ARP bolts.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
defo right about the tb, i would keep the oem it flows plenty of air and works properly, the oil pump is a worthwhile mod regardless of the rpm but you will be a bit over std so worthwhile investment to protect the rest of the parts. I would also change the chain with the toda as its been well tested.

who are you going to get to assemble it?

parksy340

Advanced Member
thanks for all the info guys do u think a baffled sump would be worthwhile too

getting xo powertuning to build it for me hopefully start in a months time

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
Yes of course a baffled sump is a good idea.

Sadly have not heard great things about XO , not terrible either but i if you are going to spend serious money on the parts then the builder should be considered not just because he is the closest or cheapest, if you are north ish then someone like Neil Brown engineering would be good, Tdi North, or send the bits on a pallet down to TGM . you really want the engine built not just assembled.

if you havent bought any parts yet you could even get NBE to quote you for a complete motor from their stock.

parksy340

Advanced Member
I have contacted Tdi about my rebuild but they have not been bothered to get back to me after several emails,
I've just spoke to Nbe bout build and going to get back to me tomorrow

To be fair xo mapped my lasses ctr about 40k ago and been spot on and has since had supercharger fitted and mapped by them and again spot on he mapped my teg also so I personally can't fault them

Kinli

Advanced Member
parksy340 said:
I have contacted Tdi about my rebuild but they have not been bothered to get back to me after several emails,
I've just spoke to Nbe bout build and going to get back to me tomorrow

To be fair xo mapped my lasses ctr about 40k ago and been spot on and has since had supercharger fitted and mapped by them and again spot on he mapped my teg also so I personally can't fault them
I have no experience with any of the shops (obviously), but mapping and installing a sc isn't the same thing as a engine rebuild..

parksy340

Advanced Member
Yeah obviously just saying never had a problem with them in the past
Heard good and bad reports about dmf aswell

blueguy

Resident J's whore
DMF Performance Si. They supplied the engine in Dixon's old race car IIRC :-k

There are very mixed reviews about them :?