Engine Build

Rob84

Advanced Member
my neighbour bought a "rebuilt" DC5 box for his ep3, from DMF via ebay and after several promised delivery's, they finally sent it. Once it arrived it had to go straight back as it wouldn't turn by hand and also it wouldn't go into reverse either as the selector was bent :?

steer well clear of dmf imo :xcheers:

parksy340

Advanced Member
yeah heard to stay clear of them aswell :-k

heard u can just change the spring in the oil pump is this true or would i need a new pump

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
you should really change the pump for new, but there is a modified s2000 pump available which works very well.

Civic Si

Hi m8, try the following if your wanting a reliable uprated engine - RDT Race Development Tuning

ask for Will ph no. 07500 702615 - Si.

parksy340

Advanced Member
Thanks for the number mate but this is already getting built now should have it back in a few weeks hopefully :D

Civic Si

Your welcome m8 no probs, I've had some work done by RDT, the service and quality of workmanship really is second to none, hope all goes well - Si.

pulpmelon_r

Advanced Member
parksy340 said:
decided to get my engine forged and cammed here is the spec i was thinking of

skunk 2 stage 2 cams
skunk 2 springs and retainers
skunk 2 cam gear exhaust
skunk 2 cam gear intake
skunk 2 tensioner
skunk 2 74mm throttle body
ported rbc manifold
hondata gasket
je 12-4-1 forged pistons
carillo forged rods
cometic head gasket
425cc injectors
arp head bolts
block guard
acl main bearings
acl big end bearings
acl thrust bearing
master seal kit
stem oil seal kit

any advice and comments welcome :D
What are you trying to achieve? Is this a street motor?

I hope you don't mind if I make a couple of comments!
Throttle will be horrible to drive on the road @ 74mm, and wont fit on an RBC as the max safe port size is 69mm before hitting water routes.
How come you are dropping compression with those pistons?
where do you think your Cams will make power to?
why are you porting the IM on a stock head?

Sorry it just seems like you have put a skunk2 shopping list together!

dave c

400hp K20
XO blew up my micra turbo, the guys are "rs holes" chancers imo id take the advice of the people in this thread and look at a "propper" tuner or buy a pre assembled block

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
As has been said, the TB is a waste of time. Mugen only use a 64mm TB on the Mugen Atom and that's pushing out 270bhp (on a proper engine dyno).

ab20000

Advanced Member
pulpmelon_r said:
parksy340 said:
decided to get my engine forged and cammed here is the spec i was thinking of

skunk 2 stage 2 cams
skunk 2 springs and retainers
skunk 2 cam gear exhaust
skunk 2 cam gear intake
skunk 2 tensioner
skunk 2 74mm throttle body
ported rbc manifold
hondata gasket
je 12-4-1 forged pistons
carillo forged rods
cometic head gasket
425cc injectors
arp head bolts
block guard
acl main bearings
acl big end bearings
acl thrust bearing
master seal kit
stem oil seal kit

any advice and comments welcome :D
What are you trying to achieve? Is this a street motor?

I hope you don't mind if I make a couple of comments!
Throttle will be horrible to drive on the road @ 74mm, and wont fit on an RBC as the max safe port size is 69mm before hitting water routes.
How come you are dropping compression with those pistons?
where do you think your Cams will make power to?
why are you porting the IM on a stock head?

Sorry it just seems like you have put a skunk2 shopping list together!
He's not dropping compression but by using domed pistons may have other problems with v2p clearance (not one to ignore!).

What size pistons are you using?

ab20000

Advanced Member
MilanoChris said:
As has been said, the TB is a waste of time. Mugen only use a 64mm TB on the Mugen Atom and that's pushing out 270bhp (on a proper engine dyno).
Doesn't this use the K20Z though?

ab20000

Advanced Member
MilanoChris said:
ab20000 said:
MilanoChris said:
Doesn't this use the K20Z though?
It does.
So what if the OEM size TB for this engine? I have no idea to be honest but assume it's not 64mm, wonder why this is the best size in this case?

Civic Si

Can't go wrong with Will at RDT in Harworth, awsum tuning, 248 bhp with K Pro and not too much else says it all for me, I read earlier in a popular Japanese Tuning Magazine of a lad that had K Pro, Skunk 2 stage 2 Cams, Manifold and other parts and the DC5 had only made 245 bhp !

I,ve got 3 bhp more without Cams, and without a Manifold change, proper tuning ( by someone you can trust ! ), makes all the difference ( will - RDT Ph 07500 702615 )

I won't be going anywhere else now for work on my DC5 - Si.

eXceed

Resident Driver
Civic Si said:
Can't go wrong with Will at RDT in Harworth, awsum tuning, 248 bhp with K Pro and not too much else says it all for me, I read earlier in a popular Japanese Tuning Magazine of a lad that had K Pro, Skunk 2 stage 2 Cams, Manifold and other parts and the DC5 had only made 245 bhp !

I,ve got 3 bhp more without Cams, and without a Manifold change, proper tuning ( by someone you can trust ! ), makes all the difference ( will - RDT Ph 07500 702615 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting              07500 702615      end_of_the_skype_highlighting )

That's definitely just a generous reading dyno then. Can't compare your result to the cammed DC5. And from what I've heard the cams mean more power is made everywhere so would be noticeably quicker on the road. Also I expect at the top end it wasn't being allowed a high enough rev limit to exploit the cams properly.

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
ab20000 said:
So what if the OEM size TB for this engine? I have no idea to be honest but assume it's not 64mm, wonder why this is the best size in this case?
63mm afaik, same as the K20A and K20A2.

ab20000

Advanced Member
Civic Si said:

I,ve got 3 bhp more without Cams, and without a Manifold change, proper tuning ( by someone you can trust ! ), makes all the difference ( will - RDT Ph 07500 702615 )

Fully agree a good tune can get the max out of what mods you have but comparing results on different dynos is not really much use. Having said that I have seen very similar spec'd engines make quite different numbers on the same dyno, this was on B and H series engines. My old H22a7 made 242bhp compared to others will similar specs making under 215 and that is without a tune just using standard ecu.

My point is unless you use the same dyno on the same day then they can't really be compared, at the same time though some engines are just stronger from the factory than others and you may have an absolute peach, too many variables to know what is causing the difference though.

pulpmelon_r

Advanced Member
ab20000 said:
He's not dropping compression but by using domed pistons may have other problems with v2p clearance (not one to ignore!).
K20a stock CR is 12.5:1, the OP has suggested using aftermarket pistons for a 12.4:1 CR.

Most Stage 2 cams lift around 13-13.5 mm and are safe to 45deg advance on the vtc system before contacting a stock piston. I doubt many people see more power past 40 degrees on UK 97RON anyway. A built motor should be clayed for P2V clearance as standard.

ab20000 said:
My point is unless you use the same dyno on the same day then they can't really be compared, at the same time though some engines are just stronger from the factory than others and you may have an absolute peach, too many variables to know what is causing the difference though.
Agreed