Engine 'height' in pre/fl

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
Bit of an odd one this. Since I've moved to a face-lift car from preface, I've taken over all my goodies. Having some minor annoyance with a couple of bits, which has got me thinking...

I've taken over everything, but issues are with Mugen exhaust, dc mani and mugen intake.

The exhaust, where it goes across the chassis from the manifold, fouls the chassis. It's like it's 5mm or so too close.

The Mugen intake, also seems to sit a fraction too high, so it's constantly touching the strut brace, again like it's 5mm or so too high.

I've also taken over all my innovative mounts.

As the exhaust and intake are both sitting too tall, my thinking is that the engine actually sits a fraction higher in the fl car. Given the usual 100% mugen fitment from oem, this is perplexing me. If they were cheaper parts, I'd just reshape and modify in some way.

So, is there any way of lowering the engine a fraction? Spacer options on the mounts to take the overall height down a bit?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

carl hammond

Advanced Member
These are the differences - Some things have been raised but not the engine, but interesting read and some may have impacted on things you are mentioning mate

Exterior design

•New front headlight and the rear combination lamp design.
•Newly designed front and rear bumpers to match the redesigned head and tail lamps.
•The newly designed front grille which emphasizes V letter type.
•The low wing type rear spoiler & the colored side sill garnish of standard (kicking up type) it sets to TYPE S anew. High wing type either one it made selective system.
•It adds the new color [bibitsudoburu] pearl to the body color, setting all the 5 colours.

Interior design

•Large diameter 4 connected white meter of TYPE R private design.
•The new design adding ornament panel of hairline pitch, adopting the aluminum shift knob, the aluminum emergency brake knob, and the aluminum pedal of titanium color.

Travelling efficiency

•With the modification of suspension damper oil seal structure, the hardness down and rear suspension bump stroke enlargement etc of the section bushes, stroke it does pliantly, actualizing the underside which continues to catch the road surface securely.
•Adoption of the left and right symmetrical winding spring (the front) with improvement straight advancing stability and stability.
•Focusing on suspension installation section body high rigid conversion (wall thickness rise of front performance rod pipe, pipe wall thickness rise of front strut tower bar and rise of installation point rigidity and board thickness rise etc of rear damper gusset).
•With the rigid rise and the like of the steering column, actualizing steering wheel feeling which is superior in operativity and responsiveness.
•Improvement of brake pedal rigidity by (rise of master cylinder diameter and rigid rise etc of the pedal bracket), actualizing the brake quality where the control characteristic which is effective securely even with little foot pressure is good.
•With the optimum arrangement of the lightweight acoustic material and the decrease etc of wind cutting sound, silent characteristic as it improves substantially, feeling only of the sport car such as engine sound as been able to enjoy good sound, executing sound tuning.

Comfortable equipment extras

•Speech recognition HONDA HDD navigation system ([intanabi] [puremiamukurabu] correspondence. Manufacturer option).
•Immobilizer & security alarm standard equipment.
•Key less entry one somatotype key of TYPE R private design.
•The discharge headlight (HID) adopting automatic leveling mechanism for the low beam.

dave7368

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
These are the differences - Some things have been raised but not the engine, but interesting read and some may have impacted on things you are mentioning mate

Exterior design

•New front headlight and the rear combination lamp design.
•Newly designed front and rear bumpers to match the redesigned head and tail lamps.
•The newly designed front grille which emphasizes V letter type.
•The low wing type rear spoiler & the colored side sill garnish of standard (kicking up type) it sets to TYPE S anew. High wing type either one it made selective system.
•It adds the new color [bibitsudoburu] pearl to the body color, setting all the 5 colours.

Interior design

•Large diameter 4 connected white meter of TYPE R private design.
•The new design adding ornament panel of hairline pitch, adopting the aluminum shift knob, the aluminum emergency brake knob, and the aluminum pedal of titanium color.

Travelling efficiency

•With the modification of suspension damper oil seal structure, the hardness down and rear suspension bump stroke enlargement etc of the section bushes, stroke it does pliantly, actualizing the underside which continues to catch the road surface securely.
•Adoption of the left and right symmetrical winding spring (the front) with improvement straight advancing stability and stability.
•Focusing on suspension installation section body high rigid conversion (wall thickness rise of front performance rod pipe, pipe wall thickness rise of front strut tower bar and rise of installation point rigidity and board thickness rise etc of rear damper gusset).
•With the rigid rise and the like of the steering column, actualizing steering wheel feeling which is superior in operativity and responsiveness.
•Improvement of brake pedal rigidity by (rise of master cylinder diameter and rigid rise etc of the pedal bracket), actualizing the brake quality where the control characteristic which is effective securely even with little foot pressure is good.
•With the optimum arrangement of the lightweight acoustic material and the decrease etc of wind cutting sound, silent characteristic as it improves substantially, feeling only of the sport car such as engine sound as been able to enjoy good sound, executing sound tuning.

Comfortable equipment extras

•Speech recognition HONDA HDD navigation system ([intanabi] [puremiamukurabu] correspondence. Manufacturer option).
•Immobilizer & security alarm standard equipment.
•Key less entry one somatotype key of TYPE R private design.
•The discharge headlight (HID) adopting automatic leveling mechanism for the low beam.
So all in all much better than a PFL ;)

carl hammond

Advanced Member
So all in all much better than a PFL ;)
No lol, and deff not as good looking :), the main thing I dislike is the rear lights and less aggressive front ones, used to prefer the FL but the PFL grew on me and when looking I viewed both and opted for the PFL mainly for the looks lol

Mugen FL however looks great, it's just the oem ones look a bit less aggressive imo but clearly have some good tweaks to better them in certain areas

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
You can't paint a turd.

Well, you can, you can make the FL look like a PFL. :) Best of both worlds.

John, are you sure your car isn't modified in some way to raise the engine or alter the angle that it sits at? I am unaware of any of the usual bolt ons being any different between pre and post FL.

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
As I've changed the mounts, I would have thought any such mod would have gone with the old ones.

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
Thought I'd test the theory the height is fraction different. I've removed the innovative drivers side mount, and put 5mm or so of washers between the engine and the mount, which should drop that side by that amount.

This is just a test with the washers, but should it make things better, I'll get an ally plate made up to space the gap. I've ran out of washers now too, so gotta wait will more arrive to do the passenger mount.

p1tse

Advanced Member
I'm pretty sure I've seen and I think beppe ex FL had the mugen intake, exhaust and de cat and was fine

Sorry can't help, but must be baffling for you

I do wander why they changed the front strut bar design though