Engine knocking/tappeting noise

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
I've noticed this past week or so that my engine has gotten quite noisy. I had the bonnet open then to have a good listen and it's definitely coming from the engine, the only time you can really hear it is when the car is stationery or when plodding along.

I check my water and oil pretty much every week and since I've had it it's not used a drop of oil until about a week ago and it showed it's finally started to use some oil. It hardly uses any water so I've just topped it up with oil now. I do drive it hard but no more different to any other VTEC's I've had.

Any ideas?

SPIT_FIRE

Advanced Member
When where the valve clearances last done? Mine got abit louder before i had them done but after it was back to normal. Tbh the K20 although it shouldn't sound like a bag of spanners they aren't quite as "sewing machine" as some other engines they do sound tappety at times.

wj51fut

Advanced Member
These engines are naturally tappy due to the adjustable tappets. They are not hydraulic.

If the car has done 50k+ miles then I would get the tappets done first if they haven't been done already. Make sure the car is stone cold before you start doing them. If you take it to Honda they will do it whilst the car is warm and can be inaccurate. Will also cost you £100.

Adam

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Hi guys,

Thanks for the info. Not sure when the valve clearances were done as it only come into the UK back in May. Are valve clearances and tappets the same thing?

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Hi guys,

It's going to be going in next week to have the valve clearances done as well as the squaling AUX belt and pulley/tensioner.

I can't help but worry that it's something worse in case it's not the clearences, would the car still be driveable if it was something like the bottom end or if it had spun a bearing? What noticeable differences would there be if there were major problems in the bottom end - would there be a big change in the vehicle's drive-ability and overall response/acceleration?

The car doesn't use any water, hardly any oil and it still drives fine with no major noises coming from it at open throttle, just panicking that it could be ducked that's all! :(

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Mine sounds as noisy as that when ticking over however when you bleep the throttle it doesn't sound as loud as the one on that clip, I've just been comparing that clip to the one I uploaded so that's encouraging at least.

Finger's crossed it's not the bottom end that's gone, thanks for the clip too.

Saint Matt

Advanced Member
No problem mate, it got a lot louder when under load as well, they sound like a transit. If you're as hot on the oil level as you say then I really doubt it's the bottom end mate. What's the mileage? As it could be the cam chain too

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Saint Matt said:
No problem mate, it got a lot louder when under load as well, they sound like a transit. If you're as hot on the oil level as you say then I really doubt it's the bottom end mate. What's the mileage? As it could be the cam chain too
It's not noisy under load and I generally drive everywhere with the window down and I can't hear anything noticeably different. It's noisy/rattly mainly on idle and the hissing nature of the engine when plodding along doing 30 and that kind of stuff.

I have been checking the oil regularly, it did go low at one point just above the minimum marker but I topped it up immediately. Mileage is about 69k, could be the timing chain. I'm taking it in Thursday morning for the mechanic to have a quick look but I know he won't be able to do much as he's only going to have a listen but it will be going in next Friday to have the valve clearances done and for him to find anything else that could be wrong with it. So I'm hoping it's just that and not anything more sinister.

Thanks again for your help.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
I know sound like I'm whinging but the engine in my car is noisy as hell, it's like it's suddenly gone worse these past few weeks.

The K20 is a noisy block I know but I'd really like to get to the bottom of it and try and eliminate it.

Really annoying, just sounds rough as hell. It's not a knocking noise, just noisy and hissy. Really noticeable between 2-3k revs even when warm.

I've checked to see if it's using more oil and water and it isn't. I know it's likely to be injectors. Is there anything else in the head that could be worn and worth getting replaced? Or can anyone recommend anything to make it quieter?

Timing chain and valve clearances have both been done so I know it's not them that are causing it.

Tempted to drive down to TGM next year and get Tom to have a look it. Driving me mad it is.

CaLi

Vtec Yoooooooo
you must have the hearing of a superhero, when i last heard your car the engine was so quiet and smooth.

as for injectors the only noise i get from mine is a high pitch noise at a certain rev but its got to be near silent around for me to hear this.

next time your down this way give me a shout and ill come out in it with you and vice versa.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Cheers mate, next time I'm about down your way I will give you a shout.

I just think it's noisy and now in-car noise has also increased.

I think I've damaged something you know, not anything major as the car is still going well but it's definitely noisier.

donzooo

Advanced Member
As said the engines do definitely seem to be quite tappety. Mines is noticable between 2-3k revs particularly when it's not warmed. Valve clearances are probably needing done though as engine has just passed 60k miles. Oil is always kept at maximum and noise doesnt increase under load. it's generally light throttle I can hear it.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
It's probably just the way the engine is. Today for example it's fine, not loud whatsoever yet on other days it's much louder. It's hard to describe, it's hissy in a way rather than tappety.

truupR

Advanced Member
I'm sure it's nothing bud. I get proper paranoid about mine all the time as it's now 12 years old with 99k on the clock. After weeks and weeks of hearing like a really faint whining sound at low rpm in 3rd and 4th - I booked it in with TGM for the Monday just gone (17/11). I was almost sure it was the input shaft bearing.

Tom took it for a 10 min drive with me riding shotgun and assured me nothing sounded sinister with the bearings at all! although he did say the clutch felt horrific :oops:

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
I'm struggling to overcome noise issues too and just put out of mind. My old engine was fairly quiet even with mega miles but new 15k engine sounds like a tractor in comparison. Again shotgun with tdi and they assure me nothing to worry about just due to toda springs but it sounds very like chain noise to me :/ I just put ear bungs in and carry on hooning lol

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Ha ha!

Nightmare mate. I think it's half me and half the engine being noisy anyway.

Think a lot of depends on what mood I'm in lol.

poeter

Do you have an oil pressure gauge? May want to make sure that oil pressure is still holding OK at idle.

And what viscosity of oil you are using? May want to run a bit thicker oil.

wj51fut

Advanced Member
The oil pressure gauge will tell you what psi the oil is running at at both idle and certain revs. You have to take out the oil pressure switch at the back of the engine and this screws into it. Any garage should be able to do this.

Thicker oil will in theory quieten down the engine but this is not a cure. Best to find the problem (if any) first.