Engine knocking/tappeting noise

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
what pressure should the oil be running at?

when warm mine sits at around 3, then 6 on throttle, and 7 on WOT

i assume this is PSI but havent looked at the units, its a DEFI gauge...

cheers

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
WJ51FUT (Gok) said:
The oil pressure gauge will tell you what psi the oil is running at at both idle and certain revs. You have to take out the oil pressure switch at the back of the engine and this screws into it. Any garage should be able to do this.

Thicker oil will in theory quieten down the engine but this is not a cure. Best to find the problem (if any) first.
Thanks mate.

I've still yet to diagnose the problem. If I'm being honest, I'm trying to ignore the sound and just get on with it.

The car is going well enough and isn't using any oil or water so not too fussed. I take it you suggest I still get it checked yes?

On the subject of oil. What's a good slightly thicker oil to go for instead of 5w 40?

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
The higher the value the thicker it is. The W means Winter but basically "cold" so a 5W 40 is thinner than a 10W 50 both when cold and hot whereby a 0W 30 would be thinner. If you want thicker oil when it warn then you could try 5W 50 or even 60 or a 10W 50 or 60 if you want thicker all round temps.

We (Tricker and Cali) might be meeting up for a beer on Thurs eve if you around so we could take a listen too if you like?

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Nice one mate, wasn't aware of the differences.

If it means having a quiter engine I might give some thicker oil a blast. Will it affect performance at all?

I'm working till 8 this Thursday man, where were you thinking of going?

beppe786

Beppe
low mileage engine will make slightly more noisier i've been in a 30k engine was noisy and been in a 130k was quieter its more run in.. also quicker lol

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
Personally I would keep it 5W for cold starts as its thin to help lubricate so maybe try a 5W 50 so its slightly thicker once up to running temps.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Nice one thanks lads, really appreciate that.

It's due an oil and filter change soon anyway and I'm going to try some Morris oil this time so will give the 5w 50 a blast and see how I get on.

Thanks.