Engine rebuild advice

DopeDragon

Advanced Member
Hi all,

My DC5 is in the process of having a rebuild due to a major problem causing white smoke to pour out of the exhaust.
The engine is being stripped at the moment and it's still unclear as to what the issue is, but it is isolated to 1 cylinder.
Since it's in this condition, I was thinking of upgrading engine parts, does anyone have any advice or suggestions with an upgrade path and best places to source the parts?

Thanks in advance.

JT3173

Advanced Member
Well if your after a little more power, like 275 bhp and almost 190 ft PBS of tourqe you could always buy what I had put into my engine by Buddy Club UK. They sell all the parts you would need and have a Demo car for you test with them on and it's bloody fast!
Do a search on my username for Buddy Club tuned and you will see what went into my car or just give Paul Hughes a bell at Buddy Club UK, they will sort you out.

HTH

DopeDragon

Advanced Member
That's a possible option, thanks.
What options do I have for boring out and bigger pistons? Has anyone done this before?

Cheers.

JT3173

Advanced Member
DopeDragon said:
That's a possible option, thanks.
What options do I have for boring out and bigger pistons? Has anyone done this before?

Cheers.
Yep, thats what I have too ;) 87.5mm

phil r

Advanced Member
If your going for a rebuild you might as well do the full monty , buddyclub rebulid for sure . \:D/

JT3173

Advanced Member
phil r said:
If your going for a rebuild you might as well do the full monty , buddyclub rebulid for sure . \:D/
yep, I second that idea! TypeRkid is going down that route too

j30l

Advanced Member
Why go full monty? To me its about what you need out of the engine. You could build an engine for reliability and still make better power than a standard engine using some aftermarket parts or you could build the full monty race engine, reving to 10k+ which wins races but wont last very long.
Its all about what is needed not what you want!

dave c

400hp K20
pop a K24 in there lol

I saw your car down there the other week, bad luck with the engine, any further ideas on what was up with it?

Dave

DopeDragon

Advanced Member
It looks like there is play in the pistons, especially bad on one particular cylinder.
I have asked Tom for a quote on Toda pistons, rods, A3 cams, thinner head gasket and others bits that are necessary. I'll see what he comes back with.

Not sure how this happened but I certainly won't be getting it mapped from anywhere without a good reputation.
Although I cannot prove anything, I was running a map for 7-8 months which turned out to be bolacks and I think this has contributed towards the failure :(

DopeDragon

Advanced Member
Hi all,

I have still been hunting around for some options for my engine rebuild.
So far I am thinking of Toda oversized pistons and conrods, A3 cams, valves and springs, retainers.
I have also been looking at Brian Crower, Skunk2 and Wiseco. Does anybody have any thoughts or experience with these products?
I will not be going with the Buddyclub products unfortunately but I would appreciate any other recommendations.

Many thanks.

Jayk

Advanced Member
Depends what you need to replace. If your bottom end is dead, then you might be best of going for a K24 bottom end then adding TODA A3 cams etc, car will be very torquey.

Other option is you get a 2nd hand k20a motor, probs cheaper than re-build. All you need is breathing, mapping, cams, springs, retainers, you dont need high comp pistons or a stroker kit, if you want to spend your money then leave OEM pistons and put in Toda Throttle bodies instead.

All this power wont do the car any good unless you upgrade the suspension, engine mountings, typres (wide or even semi slicks)

IMO if this car is being made for the road 270hp is the max you want. If its track then you can go to what ever you want.

DopeDragon

Advanced Member
Got some pictures of the block completely stripped. Looks in great condition even after 39000 miles.

The Toda pistons are tempting but i have now decided on the following:

Wiseco CR 12.5:1 87.5mm pistons
K1 forged conrods
Skunk2 stage 3 cams
Skunk2 valves, spings and retainers
Toda timing chain tensioner
Walbro fuel pump

Will also be swapping the Twinloop for something less restrictive, not sure what yet.

Plan then is to "run in" on non-synthetic for 500 miles - anyone have any thoughts on this?
Upgrade the injectors (probably 650cc) and remap - was thinking of TDi North but open to recommendations?

Any comments are welcome and appreciated, positive or negative.

Would also like to thank TGM for all their help and advice and Eddie (Suped) for taking the pics :D

Suped

Advanced Member
No worries Vinny.. always welcome mate.

I think for mapping, stick with the safe game and go with TDi north. TGM recommend them and they are good.. members here speak highly of Paul yet he has not done 1 bad job. :green:

DopeDragon

Advanced Member
The project is nearly complete and all going well I will be collecting her this Saturday!
I cannot wait, I haven't seen the little beauty since June :shock:

Obviously will need to "run in" the new engine on semi synth for 1000miles before remapping, will probably set the limiter at 9000k after the remap. I have been told that all the components will handle 9200k+ but i'll stay within the saftey margin for the time being.

In the end the problem turned out to be a cracked cylinder head. Tom was about to install the machined head back on the car but noticed a mark which turned out to be a hairline crack :eek:
It was strange that the guy in the machine shop never saw this but after Tom pointed it out to him he couldn't believe he had missed it. Tom came through once again by managing to wangle a new part which saved me waiting, he also got it machined the same day...quality service!!!

I'm really looking forward to taking her for a spin, i'll let you know how I get on :xcheers:

Hey Dope dragon,
Good luck with the rebuild, maybe you can share the power figures with everyone when you have finished , on the mapping issue maybe you should contact "themofo" or "JT3173" for their recent experiences with so called 'good' mappers..!! I rest my case.

We have fixed many many recent mapping jobs that have been done by other local companys in the north west and the attantion to midrange detail was negligent to say the least.....

regards and good luck, :)
Buddyclub.

DopeDragon

Advanced Member
All done now. Had the head replaced and the all internals replaced.
Wiseco 87.5mm forged pistons
K1 forged rods
Skunk2 Stg3 cams
Skunk2 titanium valves
Uprated valve springs and retainers

All the work carried out by TGM and remapped by Mase.
Everything is working beautifully and making nice power. 214BHP at the wheels, but potential for more with some minor tweaks.