Excessive rear pad wear on track

ferret

Having done two trackdays now in my car I have noticed that it wears out the rear pads extremely fast. The first day I just ran with the pads that came in the car, they had about 50% life left in them and they wore down to the steel after about 160kms on track. So after that I ordered a set of pads from honda, stuck them in and have done about 400kms mixed road driving and about 170kms on track and the rears are well below 50% wear again. If anything I thought the fronts would take a hammering. I"m not 100% sure what pads are in the front but I'm assuming its OEM but they don't seem to wear much at all. Also I'm only doing 10 minute sessions on the track with over 30 minutes inbetween to cool down. Just wondering what peoples opinions are on this?

here's the old pads versus the new pads after the last trackday

and the new pads with about 500-600kms on them after yesterdays trackday

2ndy

Advanced Member
I done one track day, 15 min sessions, done maybe 5 sessions and used a nearly new set of rear pads. I think its pretty common with the OEM stuff. Maybe try upgrading the pads or stick to something like blueprint which you wont mind using pretty fast as theyre quite cheap

martinj46

Advanced Member
Ideally you want to have a balance with the pads. I had ds2500 fronts and oem rears which were fine on track. I went for a more aggressive front pad after that and the oem rear pads melted within a few sessions on track. Now with ds2500 on the rear the balance is fine again, these pads have lasted 3 trackdays and quite a few road miles.

From the sound of it, your front pads are likely upgraded already. I would advise trying to find out and then making a rear pad choice based on what the fronts are.

BenLAST

Advanced Member
I had same problem to, thought the rear set of pads had enough life in them for a full day boy was I wrong!

By lunch they were down to metal, thought I had some spares but mistakenly had 2 sets for the front so popped to Euro car parts on the lunch break, bought some lovely Pagid pads for £19 and by the end of the day they were basically gone as well haha.

I now have some Project MU HC800 for the fronts and NS400 for the rears ready to go on, will fit these a week before my next track day but after reading good reviews these should hold out a lot longer!

To add, original pads were Yellowstuff on fronts and I believe OEM on the back which would explain the excess rear wear.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
Ant, post your suggestions on the thread if you like, you are a trader , its fine for you to do that .

i ran all kinds of front pads on my teg, the rears were stock almost the whole time i had the car and didnt really use them at any kind of rate so am surprised to read this post , i think i only had 2 sets of oem pads and one set of ds2500 in the years i had my car, which included countless track days, 2 years of time attack and 000,s of road miles , it had a hard life and i never worried about rears, there could be something else wrong, on most of the tgm cars we ran stock or almost stock rears even 24 hr race we only ran ds2500's

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
I eat rears too and I too have ds2500 up front and oem rears. I was told by someone it's excessive trail braking causes it when rear corners are really loaded up so it could be down to driving style as well. Basically if your aggressive like me and want the most out of your teg experience :D

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk

ChesterJSY

I run ds2500s on the front and also had the same issue recently with the std rears wearing quickly. Seemed only to be an issue on 1 particular circuit (Maison Blanche at Le Mans) where there is 2 very hard braking sessions from 120mph to around 30 for hairpins, I stayed out for a few too many laps and once the rears get too hot they just eat them up. This only appears to happen if you stay out too long or push them hard for a continuous period. If I limited myself to around 8-10 laps per session they never got too hot or had excessive wear.

I now have ds2500s all round and the issue has gone away and I now have a better brake feel and can stay out much longer if I wanted too, don't like to give the old girl too much abuse though. Splash the cash and get a matching set of pads.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
im really amazed at all you guys with rear brake problems, i almost wonder if honda changed the compound at some point , mine used to last so well, i didnt even carry spare ones when we were racing , mostly i was using race pads up front, ds3000 were some of the mild ones,

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Can't comment on track, never been out, but I have noticed that since I changed my rear pads to dixels a few weeks after i my changed my Dixels up front it felt better from the rear. Didn't feel like it was lurching forward but became more efficient under heavier braking. For the cost of a set of rears I'd upgrade if they were wearing out.... It can't hurt you anymore than constantly changing the rears over. Seems to be different driving styles also effect their wear. So if your going through them, maybe its what you will need. :)

mike.williams

Advanced Member
C&S Evo7 said:
im really amazed at all you guys with rear brake problems, i almost wonder if honda changed the compound at some point , mine used to last so well, i didnt even carry spare ones when we were racing , mostly i was using race pads up front, ds3000 were some of the mild ones,
Im with you Si. My friend fitted oem pads at almost the same time as me and after a similar amount of trackdays his were done at cadwell, mine were half worn. Only difference he switched to mtec slotted discs, i was still on oem blanks

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Can we get a brake bias for our cars? Costly I expect but could be worth it.

I am running Mugen competition pads upfront with OEM rears. Must admit that the car could do with a better bite.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
yes, but not ideally when you still have abs fitted,

to get better bite i expect you dont get the pads warm enough adam.

Spoon_Sports_Europe

Parts Trader
There's a lot to do with driving style and setup here. A stripped lightweight "race" car with stiff set up will not allow the rears to work as hard.

Mike, the slots will be the reason there. 6 slots will add about 20% overall breaking performance but on track will use pads up to 50% faster - 30% on the street.

Spoon_Sports_Europe

Parts Trader
WJ51FUT (Gok) said:
Can we get a brake bias for our cars? Costly I expect but could be worth it.

I am running Mugen competition pads upfront with OEM rears. Must admit that the car could do with a better bite.
Which compound are you running up front?

wj51fut

Advanced Member
C&S Evo7 said:
yes, but not ideally when you still have abs fitted,

to get better bite i expect you dont get the pads warm enough adam.
Yeah they take a while to warm up but when they do they are good! I'm happy with them and I knew what type of pads they would be. I've had them before.