Exhaust

impne

Advanced Member
When I got my car imported last year it was std apart 5zigen system. The car felt sluggish compared to my last one and I wasn‘t keen on the exhaust so I changed it for a skunk2 megapower. Just happened to be available at a good price at the time so thought I‘d go for it.
This freed up the car hugely much to my surprise so I guess the 5zigen wasn‘t up to much
Since then I‘ve also fitted tegiwa induction and skunk2 decat manifold.
I‘m also going to change to rbc inlet very soon.
Issue is this set up it extremely loud and I intend to do a track day or two next year as I live next to croft circuit.
I think easiest option is change the system leave the rest but I want to keep a good note from the car and not go too quiet
What system would anyone recommend as I mid way to keep it within leaves for track use

SamDC5

Advanced Member
impne said:
When I got my car imported last year it was std apart 5zigen system. The car felt sluggish compared to my last one and I wasn‘t keen on the exhaust so I changed it for a skunk2 megapower. Just happened to be available at a good price at the time so thought I‘d go for it.
This freed up the car hugely much to my surprise so I guess the 5zigen wasn‘t up to much
Since then I‘ve also fitted tegiwa induction and skunk2 decat manifold.
I‘m also going to change to rbc inlet very soon.
Issue is this set up it extremely loud and I intend to do a track day or two next year as I live next to croft circuit.
I think easiest option is change the system leave the rest but I want to keep a good note from the car and not go too quiet
What system would anyone recommend as I mid way to keep it within leaves for track use
5Zigens are well known on here to be awful and restrict the car. Glad you changed it mate

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

BigCarlo

What makes them so bad? There a well known exhaust tho

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

impne

Advanced Member
Not sure on the diameter of the pipe but it looked a bit small to me compared to the std pipe and especially the skunk2?

Not sure what the back box is like internally

Of the dozens of cars I‘ve owned over the years I‘ve never felt such a difference when the only thing I did was change the exhaust

It was like jumping into a different car the pull it had

SamDC5

Advanced Member
BigCarlo said:
What makes them so bad? There a well known exhaust tho

I don't think they're made for the Type R. If it's the Pro Racer, they restrict the car when it enters VTEC. My mate opened one up and there's a valve inside to keep them quiet. They can clog up etc. Mine made 167bhp on the dyno with one fitted. I changed to a Fujitsubo rm01a and it was night and day.

BigCarlo

Really!!!! Dam I've got one on mine I thought it was ment to be a good system. Mine is quite fat like? Do yous think I should get tdi north to fit a cat back when I'm down next week getting it mapped?

SamDC5

Advanced Member
BigCarlo said:
Really!!!! Dam I've got one on mine I thought it was ment to be a good system. Mine is quite fat like? Do yous think I should get tdi north to fit a cat back when I'm down next week getting it mapped?

If it's not strangling the car I assume you should be good? All I know is many of us have had the same problem with the same exhaust. I have dyno proof and so do others of the exhaust being restrictive so it's up to you mate don't want to tell you to spend money if the car is ok

BigCarlo

To be fair its not exactly a flat out monster like should it destroy a UK ep3 type r in a streight line? My brother has a old fucked ep3 and its standard apart from a eBay induction kit and my car is very slightly quicker

impne

Advanced Member
You could really feel it on mine compared to my teg and it felt quite a bit slower than my wife‘s naff fn type r, it felt a bit like original B series vtec kick in like I had in my crx sir than K series

If this is your first teg then maybe compare if possible to another or ask Tdi their view if you‘re going there anyway

SamDC5

Advanced Member
When I had mine on, when VTEC engaged there was no 'kick', no power increase it just felt like it wasn't engaging. Got it on the dyno, the car was seriously struggling to breathe.

If you can feel VTEC engaging and a sudden rush of power then I'd say you're fine. I'm sure you'll find out when you go to get it mapped when they do a base run.

BigCarlo

It gets a bit more of a rush but nothing like a my old vti civic it's very mild. It's just crap I'm driving down to tdi to get it mapped after night shift to possibly be told your exhaust is shit.

SamDC5

Advanced Member
BigCarlo said:
It gets a bit more of a rush but nothing like a my old vti civic it's very mild. It's just crap I'm driving down to tdi to get it mapped after night shift to possibly be told your exhaust is excrement.

Now when VTEC engages it's like someone's just opened a dam, the power just comes on and it's great haha. Changing from the 5Zigen was a massive difference, I was able to tell straight away.

BigCarlo

Right wondering if I should fuck it off and put a dc sports cat back I've got there manifold as well

impne

Advanced Member
As Sam says sounds like exhaust issue I‘d be looking to change it before going or else if you‘re local to them ask quick opinion to save you some money putting it on the rolling road with that exhaust on

Buy my skunk2 megapower 👍😂

p1tse

Advanced Member
Isn't the teg m intake meant to cause noise issues on some tracks?

I've got the most underated exhaust here and imo mated to a decat mani makes it a great alrounder; this being the Mugen twinloop. I think there was back in the days an early video dyno of a mugen twin loop versus another and results showed it wasn't as much peak power. More in recent years beppe proved it wrong with a mugen intake and exhaust being a great combo when mapped well.

It's so good I have two twin loops, one spare lol

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Intakes barely make any difference regarding power. It's all personal preference, if you're bothered about power spend money on getting the head ported and flowed. Intakes are just for noise and a couple bhp here or there haha

BigCarlo

impne said:
As Sam says sounds like exhaust issue I‘d be looking to change it before going or else if you‘re local to them ask quick opinion to save you some money putting it on the rolling road with that exhaust on

Buy my skunk2 megapower
Always wanted a skunk 2 the neighbours will love it at 5 am they love the sound of my electric garage door as well