Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Supercharged

Votes: 8 23.5%
  • Turbocharged

Votes: 25 73.5%

• Total voters

NiCkO

Advanced Member
I voted turbo for everything i believe its mostly done to the tune, well tuned turbocharged car IMO will outperform N/A and S/c in all three discipline's

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting that someone has voted n/a for drag. That would take some doing, i'm all for n/a but wow a sub 10 second n/a k20 would be kind of special!

Sgtscotty182

Advanced Member
Just flicking through the forum as I was bored and found this wee poll which has caused a lot of questions and confusion in my fragile little head as I have just bought a JRSC and plan to track the teg a lot....

Most people have said N/A for track to be able to keep high revs and pull out corners.... Surely throttle response and pull isn't lost with a charger? I would have thought this would give similar throttle response/control until the boot is planted?

Please explain this in dumb but gentle form so I can understand why people have said this, are you speaking from experience or speculation?

blueguy

Resident J's whore
Sgtscotty182 said:
Just flicking through the forum as I was bored and found this wee poll which has caused a lot of questions and confusion in my fragile little head as I have just bought a JRSC and plan to track the teg a lot....

Most people have said N/A for track to be able to keep high revs and pull out corners.... Surely throttle response and pull isn't lost with a charger? I would have thought this would give similar throttle response/control until the boot is planted?

Please explain this in dumb but gentle form so I can understand why people have said this, are you speaking from experience or speculation?
blueguy said:
Drag - No idea

Race - N/A because you're always in the top power band and it's likely the rev limit would've been increased to hit 300bhp (excluding K24s)

Road - No idea

You don't really want to be changing gear mid corner, therefore if you have a higher rev limit, you have the potential to carry more speed in and out of a corner depending on the type of corner, gear ratios etc
I have no idea who mentioned throttle response?
*EDIT - ITBs?

Jonnyteg

Advanced Member
NiCkO RsX said:
I voted turbo for everything i believe its mostly done to the tune, well tuned turbocharged car IMO will outperform N/A and S/c in all three discipline's
I agree with this, turbo will give most power, combine this with a clever ecu/traction system then it will win in every aspect.

Who voted for NA for Drag racing..................... fail

davidpingu

Advanced Member
With na for track I'd say it's not just about rev limit as that's all dependent on gearing more than anything. I'd say it would be more about reliability and perhaps weight distribution aswell? Not sure what a complete charger, cooler with all pipes etc weighs in at but it must add weight and change weight distribution.

How many charged cars do you see break down on track? More than n/a I'll bet. I think an NA could potentially look after its tyres better too but that's more just personal feeling than factual. Torque is good if you have traction but sometimes it can make things worse if there's too much. I used to think na gives a much smoother delivery of power throughout the Rev range in a more controlled fashion but can appreciate FI may have improved alot over the past 5 to 10 years

jdmsteve

Advanced Member
I've got a jrsc dc5. Been boosted since Christmas and I absolutely love it. IMO its a great setup for circuit racing being on boost all the time and peak torque being made so low down.

I believe you can match its performance na high comp but it's a far more expensive alternative.
I wouldn't be interested in turbos until the engine was built.

If you don't want to mess with internals the best way to go boosted is the Jackson as is designed to be used with oem internals and can still produce more power than the front wheels can handle

paul hughes

DRAG, i dont cross dress so I have no idea !!

RACE, its been proven without a shadow of a doubt in Time attack that Honda NA is a country mile faster than Honda Forced induction .... BTCC is a 20 grand exception to the rule ! (if you consider the current equality as such) ,, this is due to turbo control systems that we didnt feel were relevant to normal national race regulations or financially viable, as 270-300 bhp NA was more than enough to dispel the 450+bhp supercharger myth. For that matter BTCC 300 bhp NA rule has been in force for ages until NGTC rules came out ......and they havnt made that much difference anyway.

ROAD, Toyota land cruisers are nice :D

dave c

400hp K20
jdmsteve said:
I've got a jrsc dc5. Been boosted since Christmas and I absolutely love it. IMO its a great setup for circuit racing being on boost all the time and peak torque being made so low down.

I believe you can match its performance na high comp but it's a far more expensive alternative.
I wouldn't be interested in turbos until the engine was built.

If you don't want to mess with internals the best way to go boosted is the Jackson as is designed to be used with oem internals and can still produce more power than the front wheels can handle
You say more than the front wheels can handle but thats just not true man, chassis honestly handles 400hp fine.

beppe786

Beppe
dave c said:
You say more than the front wheels can handle but thats just not true man, chassis honestly handles 400hp fine.
you proved turbo was no good for drag.. wheel spin lost you loads of time at santa pod

dave c

400hp K20
beppe786 said:
you proved turbo was no good for drag.. wheel spin lost you loads of time at santa pod
I see you're trying to goad me lol - grow up :xhaha:

Chassis handles 400hp very well, ask anyone who's been out in the car

jdmsteve

Advanced Member
dave c said:
I do agree with you Dave that the chassis can handle it. But in my honest opinion round a circuit your better off with no more than 300whp to irradiate washing out under throttle in tight turns.

I noticed the difference steeping up from na to jrsc. So I bet running your power would be the same step again.

Bring it out on track with us Dave and let's see what's what 😜

Coyote and I are thinking of booking a full day soon

beppe786

Beppe
dave c said:
I see you're trying to goad me lol - grow up :xhaha:

Chassis handles 400hp very well, ask anyone who's been out in the car
Chassis can probably handles 500hp.. Drag... FWD will struggle to put power down unless you have a proper traction control system

im not taking the piss, just saying how it is :xwavey:

dave c

400hp K20
jdmsteve said:
I do agree with you Dave that the chassis can handle it. But in my honest opinion round a circuit your better off with no more than 300whp to irradiate washing out under throttle in tight turns.

I noticed the difference steeping up from na to jrsc. So I bet running your power would be the same step again.

Bring it out on track with us Dave and let's see what's what

Coyote and I are thinking of booking a full day soon
I've been planning to do a trackday since I had the conversion done but I just can't seem to justify the risk.

I'll do one once i've saved up a little buffer incase I break a gearbox

When you thinking and where?

jdmsteve

Advanced Member
We're thinking September time or just after Dave. Possible candidates at the moment are Bedford, snetterton or Cadwell

All reasonably local to us 👍
You got any preference ?