First world problems...

CL1_EuroR

To set the tone, I live in Ireland, and Ireland and cars in general don't get on, be it physically with the shit roads, the extortionate Insurance prices or the sheer ignorance of cars that are not marketed at the general public etc...

To add to the this, I have previously owned: a minter of an AE101 GT FX with only twenty odd thousand miles:

Followed by a genuine Irish registered DC2 ( an absolute rocket of a ca/ I really miss this car!!):

Followed by a beautiful minter of a CL1 EuroR, which my mate still drives now:

From her I had two kids, and settled down for over 4 years with a very boring 1.4 D4D corolla!, I was driven mad, excuse the pun... absolutely soul destroying from my perspective.. car was fantastic mechanically and economically, absolutely zero issues.

(No pictures required haha)

Now I have a decent DC5, owned it now for 12 months and just put in over 1k into her for preventative maintenance to keep her right but I am feeling the restrictions of it on my fishing like I did with my past Honda's the car is too good for me to bring it off down country lanes and leave it there while I head of for 10 hours on the water. I tried that once with my DC2 and the badges were stolen off of it damaging the paint work!

Anyway, Irish insurance makes it near on impossible to insure two cars if you don't have a business, which I don't. Which leaves me with the possible dilemma of selling the car (which I don't want to do as I have it near to where I want it). But I am big into my fishing and I am not getting any younger!

Any advice out there from anyone who has been in a similar situation?

Word of wisdom would be most welcome!! (PS there is not a hope of me giving up fishing ;) )

CL1_EuroR

Good Idea, but I fish in alot of very remote areas (Lure fishing for Bass.), only parking areas would be peoples houses, and I don't think they would appreciate me arriving there at 2am or 3am to get set up to fish into first light.

Jaws

Sell it to me haha. If only I could be bothered to import one from Ireland! Looks like a stunning example. I think you should keep it, it's a low depreciating car which you have put a lot of time and money into. I regret selling my FL DC5.

Jvzr

Advanced Member
Buy a shitter, and drive it 3rd party.
I have a 00 astra, Paid 530€ for it with tax and test, I work with creosote so using the dc5 isnt an option going to work,
It would stink out the car and ruin the seats.

So i use the astra for that, have no issues leaving it in the yard with all the trucks etc, its 500€ worth and easy repairable with so many in scrap yards if it goes wrong

CL1_EuroR

Jvzr said:
Buy a excrementter, and drive it 3rd party.
I have a 00 astra, Paid 530€ for it with tax and test, I work with creosote so using the dc5 isnt an option going to work,
It would stink out the car and ruin the seats.

So i use the astra for that, have no issues leaving it in the yard with all the trucks etc, its 500€ worth and easy repairable with so many in scrap yards if it goes wrong
How does the second car work, do you need a separate policy or do you put it down on your current policy?

My policy will only cover me on another car, if that car is already insured.

MissMyDC2 said:
I just leave mine with the missus and take her hers..

Err wait best not.

Ouch!

No, that will never happen, I am with my missus 16 years and she has never been allowed drive any of my cars, I like to keep them in good condition :xgrin:

(But I do borrow her car from time to time to go fishing haha)

Jvzr

Advanced Member
Im with allianz and once im over 25 (21 with liberty) with a full licence i can drive any car under 2 litre (under 30k value with liberty) as long as it has tax, nct and not in your name.

Only downside is the lack of a disc in the window.

Iv been using cars this way for ages and only once got done for no disc, 60€ fine and car confiscated till i could show i was insured. Own fault tho, forgot to bring my sheet saying i was insured, and was parked down with people street racing...was begging to get caught.

But thats how most lads get by with 2 cars here. The astra is in a friends name

CL1_EuroR

Jvzr said:
Im with allianz and once im over 25 (21 with liberty) with a full licence i can drive any car under 2 litre (under 30k value with liberty) as long as it has tax, nct and not in your name.

Only downside is the lack of a disc in the window.

Iv been using cars this way for ages and only once got done for no disc, 60€ fine and car confiscated till i could show i was insured. Own fault tho, forgot to bring my sheet saying i was insured, and was parked down with people street racing...was begging to get caught.

But thats how most lads get by with 2 cars here. The astra is in a friends name
I am with alliance too, I will have to look into it, only issue is I wont have room to park it outside the house.