Fitting cams etc or 5psi Jackson Racing Supercharger

TypeRKid

Advanced Member
Hi Paul

Thanks for the advice, in back of my mind its always been NA rather than charger. But because of mixed views its been messing with my head with which route to go. With my driving style i like to rev the car etc so will most likely go with NA route. And also because i use the car daily and the odd track days cams will be more fun for me in my opinion. :)

Not had a chance to ring insurance yet but will do and post back results to see which one is dearer.

mikegsi

Staff member
JT3173 said:
Sorry to to be a party pooper :xspank:

On how many occaisions do we all put full power down?
quite regularly actually :eek: :lol:

obv only when safe to do so, and in the lower gears, why have it and not use it............ :-k

jay82

Advanced Member
mikegsi said:
JT3173 said:

obv only when safe to do so, and in the lower gears, why have it and not use it............ :-k
try saying that to a cop at your window :lol:

Jayk

Advanced Member
Before you decide what to do matey go out in both cars, and make sure there around what you want, because a S/C DC5 is very good as a road car.

If your going cam setup then id recommend after mucho research when i was deciding. TODA A3 Cams and Springs, Toda High Comp Gasket (deffinatly no need for pistons, or headwork for your use) Im not sure what intake you already have but CAI, Injen, Fujita F5, AEM V1 etc are the best for pound to power. RBC obviously needed and whilst thats of get a Hondata Gasket. Not sure which manifold you have but my personal preference is Toda, but there quite a few out there, from what ive read the buddyclub manifold is good. Also get a Custom made 3" exhaust. If you do all that, dont go crazy on the spending and you will get good power gains, and you will feel better that you havent spent loads, if you spend loads and get a couple of HP more you will feel crap trust me!

Really look for good deals out there, for both parts and fitting. I used to get all my parts from the US including cams, but the rate isnt as good but still worth a look. PM me i can give you name of contacts ive aquired over the years to see if they can do anything for you.

Also getting a good mapper is critical, it can all be lost or made in the map. I use a guy over in the US to map mine, he has mapped loads of K-Series motors, boosted or N/A. I can pass his name and contact details to you, you dont have to send your ecu, just logs, takes time but the results are great, will map part throttle really well to.

Best of luck matey! Gimmie a shout if you need any info.

Jay

mikegsi said:
JT3173 said:

Sorry Im sure JT said "full power" not "full throttle".
Full power ammounts to less than 2 % of your acceleration ramp. Most of the time you are using both torque and power at incremental levels during the acceleration. Because NA cars have a milder ramp per 1000rpm ,they are easier to drive and also get the available power onto the road without trying to defy the laws of physics and breaking traction.
Look at the front wheel drive S/C cars in time attack, they are very slow compared to NA cars.

regards,
Paul,

JT3173

Advanced Member
mikegsi said:
JT3173 said:

:lol: :xcheers: Mike

I do use it, not all the time though as I have so many little horses to choose from now and a stack of tourqe I can just give it just a little poke and it will fly past most things :evil:

typertillidie

Think its more about the whole set-up of the car for track and time attack you can spend just as much on chasis and suspension mods :-k

Paul have you tried anyones track car with supercharger set-up just wondering>>

An awful lot is down to driver as well?

Either way you wont be dissapointed which way you go ,, keeping to ethics of car N/A makes more sense sense but at more of a cost? ](*,) ](*,)

Dave,
Ive never had the invite to drive any of the Supercharged Time Attack Front wheel drive cars with stupid BHP, But I have "spun them round" in a bewildered "WHAT HAPPENED",,,? whilst passing every one of them. He He He!!
:twisted: :twisted:

NA rules !

typertillidie

Dave,
Ive never had the invite to drive any of the Supercharged Time Attack Front wheel drive cars with stupid BHP, But I have "spun them round" in a bewildered "WHAT HAPPENED",,,? whilst passing every one of them. He He He!!

NA rules !

Fair one paul =D>

Just curious out of a matter of interest what sort of money you spent just on engine sides of things only?

I will be tracking soon but in a DC2 but with a few surprises :xtsk:

Sounds like you got a real animal there 8) you may be able to give me a few tips for tracking :xcheers:

AndyBITR

Advanced Member
I had an SC DC5 and the power delivery was nice and linear and the car could still be well balanced through the twisties. As someone else stated you can;t drive these cars at full throttle everywhere anyway, and when you add more power to them you can use it even less!! More power does not equal more grip. :idea: That's where you need to control you're right foot and feed the power in gradually keeping the car balanced. An SC doesn't make this any more difficult than a high power N/A setup as they both need a similar driving style to feed the power in when throwing it round a track or a set of twisties. I'm finding driving a Turbo motor is completely different as you experience this ON/OFF boost scenario which can be quite savage if you're not ready for it mid bend! :lol:

paul hughes said:
do you see any main Rally teams using Super Chargers.??? NO! nuf said.
Erm they did when the rules allowed for twin charged engines. SC to produce power before the turbo spooled up. The rules do not allow both now and SC doesn't make the big power a good turbo does, so they all use turbos and s**t hot anti-lag systems now!!

Jayk

Advanced Member
AndyBITR said:
I had an SC DC5 and the power delivery was nice and linear and the car could still be well balanced through the twisties. As someone else stated you can;t drive these cars at full throttle everywhere anyway, and when you add more power to them you can use it even less!! More power does not equal more grip. :idea: That's where you need to control you're right foot and feed the power in gradually keeping the car balanced. An SC doesn't make this any more difficult than a high power N/A setup as they both need a similar driving style to feed the power in when throwing it round a track or a set of twisties. I'm finding driving a Turbo motor is completely different as you experience this ON/OFF boost scenario which can be quite savage if you're not ready for it mid bend! :lol:

paul hughes said:
do you see any main Rally teams using Super Chargers.??? NO! nuf said.
Erm they did when the rules allowed for twin charged engines. SC to produce power before the turbo spooled up. The rules do not allow both now and SC doesn't make the big power a good turbo does, so they all use turbos and s**t hot anti-lag systems now!!
Spot on! I think if Buddyclub just swapped there motors out for a supercharged k20 but kept the rest of the setup, i cant see how there would be any difference in times etc.

TypeRKid

Advanced Member
Rights guys,ive finally decided which route to go,thanks for all the people who replied and given advice,ive decided due to my driving style,useage of car everyday and the odd trackday ive opted to go for the NA route and here is the list im thinking of getting and hopefully get it all fitted in September :) let me know what you think :wink:

*Buddyclub N+ Camshafts
*Buddyclub Cam Pulleys
*Buddyclub Valve Springs & Retainers
*Buddyclub Baffled Sump
*Buddyclub Throttle Body 70mm
*RBC Intake Manifold
*Toda Timing Chain Tensioner
*Toda High Compression Head Gasket
*Tarox Sport Japan Brake Discs
*AEM Power Pulley Kit
*ES Front Bushes
*(Still deciding to wether to remove the air con system and compressor from the car as my tuner has said it takes loads of weight off my car and and should also free hp up to 8hp. Cant make up my mind with this yet :?

jay82

Advanced Member
*(Still deciding to wether to remove the air con system and compressor from the car as my tuner has said it takes loads of weight off my car and and should also free hp up to 8hp. Cant make up my mind with this yet :?

no point, you save F all weight removing it and theres no point removing it unless your gonna race the car.
and AC is great :D

mikegsi

Staff member
Keep your air con, you'll regret taking it out if we get a repeat of the last weeks sunshine! As for saving ponies, only drains power when turned on, turn it off on trackdays, you'll get a similar effect of loosing power caused by the drag you'll get when you have to put your windows down cause your sweating your balls off!!

Jayk

Advanced Member
*Toda A3 Camshaft
*Toda Valve Springs & Retainers
*TGM Baffled Sump
*RBC Intake Manifold
*Toda Timing Chain Tensioner
*Toda High Compression Head Gasket

Thats what i would go with, everyone who has used Toda Cams on here has had great results, tried tested and proven. i wouldnt bother with the the throttle body to be honest and id doubt you need to change the pulley's either. You can see on the N/A power thread that people using the above and good intake and mani/exhaust have all had consistant figures. That speaks for itself really.

All the best mate.
Jay

mikegsi

Staff member
That's roughly my planned route too, not decided on which cams yet, but it will be toda gear that I use on top of what I already have

TypeRKid

Advanced Member
All the parts on my list has been ordered now cant wait to receive them :D

The RBC i have ordered from america too off ebay so cant wait for that :D

Will post pics and details of when i will be getting all these fitted \:D/

JT3173

Advanced Member
TypeRKid said:
All the parts on my list has been ordered now cant wait to receive them :D

The RBC i have ordered from america too off ebay so cant wait for that :D

Will post pics and details of when i will be getting all these fitted \:D/
Glad to hear its coming one, keep us posted :D

TypeRKid

Advanced Member
Glad to hear its coming one, keep us posted :D[/quote]

Will do, will keep this thread alive :lol:

Will let you know what power and torque etc my car comes out with. Really looking forward to it :twisted: