Front arch clearance???

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
So it would appear I've stumbled across a slight issue.

On track I'm managing to destroy my front arch liners.

My car isn't particularly low, and it is running good coilovers that are pretty stiff but through some of fast corners at Knockhill my front tyres are clearly chewing the arch liners up, and they make some noise doing it.

Thought about just moving the arch liners however directly behind them at the top is a strip where 2 panels meet and are welded together... And it looks like the whole arch liner adds a lot of areo effects too.

Any thoughts on what to do, don't really want to raise it up and don't see how I should since plenty of other members are lower than me and track their cars.

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
Between neg 2 and 3 degrees.

Wheels are 17x7.5" et48 with 225/45/17 tyres but not tried them on track yet. Most of the wear has happened when running oem wheels with 225/45/17.

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
The coilovers are getting old, how old I dunno though. The car was imported with them, and since then the car has done circa 40k miles in this country.

Fairness where fairness do, they don't look 40k miles old, and all the adjusters are free etc so very impressed with them.

I have been toying with the idea of replacing them but I'm pretty confident few will match the HKS coilovers for quality.

dave c

400hp K20
Yep I have the same problem, you're just too low and drive the car nice and hard bud. Mine does it when I hit a corner hard (high g) with passengers or if i'm giving it and there is an uneven surface. It's essentially body roll and ride height.

Rock solid coilovers would stop it but then they would ruin the ride, thicker ARB's might help too

Dan34

Advanced Member
I've had this the last few times on track. Back at snetterton tomorrow and fitted my cusco ARB's at the weekend and tweaked my coilover dampening, will let you know if it's helped!

dave c

400hp K20
Dan34 said:
I've had this the last few times on track. Back at snetterton tomorrow and fitted my cusco ARB's at the weekend and tweaked my coilover dampening, will let you know if it's helped!
Cheers Dan

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
Cheers for the input guys.

I'm not to bothered about the arch liner itself (i'd remove them if I didn't think they'd affect the front areo's so much), its the metal chassis leg behind them. Can't imagine that is good for the tyres!

Be interested to hear your input on the ARB's Dan as it was something I was considering myself just to keep the car flatter.

Have tried stiffening the coilovers but all that does is induce wheel hop and I can't get the power down out of the corners at Knockhill.

Dan34

Advanced Member
Well to cut a long story short mine still rubs :( haha

I actually raised the car yesterday because it annoyed me so much, 225/45's are just a bit too much I think.

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
Damn, still as bad or has the scrubbing been reduced.

Your car always sat well Dan, but it is low. Mines isn't as low as yours bud still scrubs with 225/45/17. It scrubbed with 215/45/17 too actually come to think of it. And i'm sure the difference in tyre size is only about 4mm on height...

dave c

400hp K20
Wingnuttzz said:
Damn, still as bad or has the scrubbing been reduced.

Your car always sat well Dan, but it is low. Mines isn't as low as yours bud still scrubs with 225/45/17. It scrubbed with 215/45/17 too actually come to think of it. And i'm sure the difference in tyre size is only about 4mm on height...
See I had consigned myself to the fact my wheels and tyres were too wide. At least i know its not my wheels now as you're are 8's right?

Yeh so is it reduced or just the same? And whats the verdict on the rollbars, a worthy investment or no real advantage when running coilovers?

Dave

Dan34

Advanced Member
dave c said:
See I had consigned myself to the fact my wheels and tyres were too wide. At least i know its not my wheels now as you're are 8's right?

Yeh so is it reduced or just the same? And whats the verdict on the rollbars, a worthy investment or no real advantage when running coilovers?

Dave
The roll bars definitely made a difference. I could tell I was taking some corners quicker than I used to be able too.

But I'm not sure I would buy new again, if you can get them cheaper second hand I'd probs go for it.

dave c

400hp K20
Dan34 said:
The roll bars definitely made a difference. I could tell I was taking some corners quicker than I used to be able too.

But I'm not sure I would buy new again, if you can get them cheaper second hand I'd probs go for it.
got ya, thanks ;)

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
dave c said:

Dave
My Rays are 17x7.5" et48 so not quite the same size bit not far off.

As long as the offsets etc are all good then there is no reason why 8" shouldn't fit. Sure Days Enkeis are 8" wide.

Sole guys on here have 9" wide wheels up front...