Front Bumper & Headlight Removal

Dan2020

Advanced Member
I couldn't see that this had been covered before and thought it might help those of you that want to save money on getting your bulbs changed to spend on shiny bits!!

First off, nice and easy, jack up the car and use axel stands on the side supports (or if you're dangerous and lazy like me, then a trolley jack on both side supports instead)! This will give to easier access underneath, not really necessary but you will find it helps especially if your car is lowered.

Tools needed:
8mm socket
10mm socket
3/8" ratchet
Long extentsion (or a short and medium mated together like me)
Philips head screw driver
Flat head screw driver
Security torx bits (if removing the HID bulb) - Don't worry if you don't have this as it's not going to be overly tight so can be undone with a pair of pliers or screwdriver wedged in.

Using the 8mm socket & ratchet in each wheel arch there is a small gap with a 8mm headed screw hidden up inside, reomve from both sides:

Open the bonnet and you'll see the 6 plastic trim clips holding the bumper to the slam panel, with the flat head screw driver remove these:

Lie underneath the car now and you should fine 2 more of the plastic trim clips that need removing in the same way:

Whilst you're down there, undo the 2 philips screws on each side that hold the bumper to the plastic undercarriage:

Don't get up yet, you'll need the 10mm socket and ratchet to undo the 2 10mm bolts holding the bumper to the front panel, located just either side of centre:

Now everything is un-done, gently but firmly pull the bumper away at the wing and move round until off (it is clipped in quite well):

Now put that out the way (not face down) and move onto the headlight!!

On top of the headlight, there is a 10mm bolt holding it to the slam panel and one to the wing so remove them:

To the side of the headlight, previosly hidden by the bumper is another 10mm bolt to remove:

To the front of the light is another 10mm bolt to remove, hidden quite well and what you'll need the long extension for:

Before you slide the headlight out, unclip the sidelight bulb connector:

Unclip the ballast underneath the headlight:

Slide the headlight forwards slightly and un clip the full beam bulb and the indicator bulb:

Should all slide out completely now:

Using the security torx bit you can now gain access to the HID bulb, by undoing the screw and twisting the cap anti-clockwise leaving just 2 metal clips holding the bulb in place:

Oh, and if you want to take the ballast off, it's 3 philips head screws on the under side of the headlight then a plastic clip and a spade connector.

Simples!!

Re-fitting is as simple as doing all that in reverse, but make sure the plastic undercarriage is in the right place before fixing the bumper back on! :wink:

Hope this helps some of you!!

H105Daz

Advanced Member
Excellent write up cheers .. tell me, I have a suspicion that not ALL of my headlight bolts are in place as I get some vibration going over rough roads at night. Did your headlight units shake at all and be quite noticable at night on a dipped beam?

I reckon my bumper needs to come off and check all bolts are present, cheers

Dan2020

Advanced Member
Headlight units shouldn't shake at all, I suspect it could be the bulb flickering. this can be caused by not being fitted correctly or a buld needing replacing or a ballast on it's way out.

Obviously check the cheapest 2 options first as I once had a similar problem and 2 new bulbs sorted it.

LiamGTR

Advanced Member
Oh crap, you need to get under the car :( I could do with taking mine off to get the condensation out my headlights, but:

:( :(

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
Best trick for the headlights is to stick them on, with full beam and just use the heat of the bulbs to dry them out. Maybe use a hairdryer to help them along a bit.

LiamGTR

Advanced Member
I'll give that a try in Wednesday, that's gonna be my 'DIY' day this week, only day off :(

shaun1

My left hand side headlight is flickering, where can you get the bulbs or ballast from and how much do they go for?

LiamGTR

Advanced Member
Bulbs from eBay, ballasts if you want OEM obviously Honda, or if you go aftermarket HID kit.. eBay again

shaun1

LiamGTR said:
Bulbs from eBay, ballasts if you want OEM obviously Honda, or if you go aftermarket HID kit.. eBay again
What type/ size bulb do I look for? The Oem fitment I be going for. Cheers

Yauie

This was a lot of help thanks for the guide I changed my headlights at the weekend. Just to note the 2 10mm bolts n the bottom of the bumper soak in wd40 I've sheared the heads off both so will need drill and tapping :(

linh-ej9

Advanced Member
there are also one tabs on each side that connect the bumper and wheel arch liner. i couldn't remove them when i changed my bulbs last week. so just left the bumper hanging while i changed them.

Topgeezer

Advanced Member
As seen in the second pic i'm after the plastic trim clips holding the bumper to the slam panel, any one have a link for getting some?

The centre of the clip lifts up and relaxes the prongs underneath so you can pull it out.

Any info appreciated ;)

I found this place HERE but i'm dammed if i know which ones i need, 724 different ones LOL.

T.G.

BenLAST

Advanced Member
Lovely job, will be doing this tomorrow so good to have a reference for headlight removal thanks!